Sign in with
Your question

Cooling Device Needed For ATI 4670

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 4, 2009 3:43:09 PM

I recently upgraded from a Nvidia 8600GT to a ATI 4670 1GB. The card is great, I can max everygame out. BUT now my pc sounds like a jet engine. Even at idle, it sounds like a hair dryer. And at full load, well, you need to wear a headset.
I'm looking for a silent cooler (not water) for the card, and haven't been able to find one. I called some local computer stores with no luck either. Can someone direct me to a site where I can find a good silent cooler ?

March 4, 2009 3:53:21 PM

Which 4670 did you purchase?

I've heard the same some a few people. I've always suggest the HIS one for its quiet cooler. It's a few bucks more but you don't have to worry about. sorry, just saying.
March 4, 2009 4:17:38 PM

Just the regular ATI version from Futureshop. Bit too late to buy the HIS version now. There has to coolers out there for this card.....
Related resources
March 4, 2009 4:28:38 PM

Usually coolers are made for cards that are often times used to overclock. You might find it hard to get an aftermarket cooler. It's possible that a cooler for the 4800 series would work if the screw pattern is the same. You may need to dig a little online. Those coolers usually range from $30-$40 USD
March 4, 2009 4:50:13 PM

lol u haven't even heard 3870x2, 4850x2, 4870x2 and GTX295 cards. Then u would think water cooling but really get USED TO IT.
March 4, 2009 10:23:02 PM

lol get used to it ? Yeah, I posted here and did alot of research myself so far just to have someone say "get used to it". I'm still waiting on some responses from a couple of cooler manufacturers. And I don't want to get used to it. If you had a car without a muffler would you just "get use to it" ?
Next logical response please.
March 4, 2009 11:14:26 PM

PROBLEM SOLVED :sol: 

Here's the answer for those who may be looking in the future as well.

March 5, 2009 1:13:11 PM

I had that cooler on an old x1900xtx card. GREAT cooler. But it was $45 USD and I needed to buy a fan for it. You should be able to run passive though. I just hate to have buy an expensive cooler for a lower end card that cost only 2x the cooler.
November 5, 2009 6:17:21 PM

I would think that simply lowering the fan speed with rivatuner or something similar would solve this problem in a much cheaper and simpler fashion than buying and installing an aftermarket cooler. An HD4670 is very low power and I can't imagine it needing much cooling at all.
November 5, 2009 6:21:41 PM

Yeah, I have a feeling his cooler may have been defective. My 4650 just has the tiny stock cooler, but it seems to stay fairly quiet and quite cool.
November 5, 2009 10:34:45 PM

Tom_21 said:
Hey there jjhann, great find on http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/product_page/vga...

Was it easy to install, did you need to buy a fan for it not? I also have a crappy loud ATI 4670 card. Thx man, would appreciate a reply and follow up on it!

Hey Tom, yeah the sound was awful. And overclocking it made the fan sound like a jet taking off. But the cooler is awesome. Complete silence now. The install is pretty straight forward, it might seems daunting with all the parts but everything is explained in the instruction guide. You can install the cooler on the top side or bottom side, and you can use a basic cpu fan if you want. I chose to put a fan on mine just because I had a cpu fan not being used and you can't hear it anyway.

I highly, highly recommend this cooler. I run my 4670 overclocked to the max in the ati overdrive panel. 41 degrees Celsius when idle. 56-58 Celsius when gaming. No problems to date. Oh, and the kit comes with thermal paste. ;) 

And I personlaly think all ATI fans are loud. I had a old ATI 9800 back in the day and that thing roared. And to this date, it still does. A family member now has it. AND, it wasn't a defective cooler/card. I even had the card replaced, but still the same problem.

I can even run crysis to the near max. I just have to tweak the shadows. And I run all my games at 1920x1080. BF2, BF2142, COD4, Crysis, etc.

Hope that helps. :D 
November 6, 2009 12:19:52 PM

Thx jj, I had exactly the same issue, my first 4670 with HDMI went berserks and fan was scraping it's case, I had it sent to ASUS and they replaced it with a non HDMI card, but its still too damn loud I find. I will defintaly get a Thermalright HR-03 Rev.A

I wonder what jyjjy meant by "I would think that simply lowering the fan speed with rivatuner or something similar would solve this problem in a much cheaper and simpler fashion than buying and installing an aftermarket cooler".

What do you guys think, would rivaturner be a cheaper solution than buying a 30-50$ cooler? + fan + installation.
November 6, 2009 12:49:48 PM

I cant seem to find a Thermalright HR-03 Rev.A in stock, not even a new one on eBay. I also found these coolers compatible with the 4670 on Zalman's site. Scythe has squat.

http://www.zalman.com/ENG/product/Product_Read.asp?idx=...

I wonder if they are newer/better than the 2007 thermalright one.
!