System carshes with new AGP card - please help

chedderslam1

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
I have just received my new Sapphire x1650 Pro agp card. The system starts, and the monitor comes on, bios displays, etc. When the windows logo shows, the system reboots. It also does the same thing in safe mode.

I made sure to uninstall the old graphics card drivers before adding the card.

Do I need to install CCC before I put the card in? It's an old motherboard, maybe I need to flash the bios?

What will solve this?

co30cl

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
I don't think its a driver problem since its happening in safe mode. I don't think the x1650 Pro requires additional power connector either. It may be a 4x/8x AGP card, so be sure your 'old' motherboard can support non-2x. That could be a BIOS setting too. Also be sure you've loaded the AGP drivers for your motherboard.

chedderslam1

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007

I forgot to plug in the power connector after installing the card, the instructions did not mention attaching a power card. So I started the system and the display was all funky. I realized what was wrong and shut down the system. Could that have fried the card?

chedderslam1

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007

Would the agp drivers for the motherboard be installed in windows or via a bios flash? I pulled the motherboard from an old hp computer when my good system died.

I didn't think to check for the bios setting for the agp speed. I will check it out.

Thanks!

chedderslam1

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007

Power supply is certified for a 3850, so I would think it could handle the card?

I have not even gotten to the point where I can install the drivers. Would installing the drivers before putting in the card help?

chedderslam1

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007
Motherboard supports AGP 8x, so it is not that.

I can't find the drivers for the motherboard, though. The motherboard is model P4SD-LA. It is from an HP computer, but I put it in a new case, so I don't know the hp model number for the system to get the drivers. Google returned results of people looking for the drivers as well, but no luck. I guess I will contact HP support and see if they can direct me.

chedderslam1

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007

I don't remember the model number and don't have the case. I did use the auto detect hardware on the hp site and got the model that way.

I have the chipset drivers, and the install.exe extracted them to C:\hp\drivers\chipset\chipset_VIA_AGP. It says to use device manager to install the drivers, but I can't figure out how to do so. No exclamation marks in device manger and scanning for hardware didn't find anything. I have the drivers, just can't figure out how to use them.

chedderslam1

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007

I have to do this manually and can not figure out how to do so.

chedderslam1

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007

No, no install.exe. The instructions say to go into device manager, click on "other devices", and update driver. No "other devices" in device manager.

I also got the drivers for the chipset from the intel site. The install only installed drivers for ultra ata, nothing for the rest of the chipset. I don't know what to do.

chedderslam1

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007

Yes that is what I was referring to when I said I got the drivers from intel. The first time I ran it it installed the ultra ata drivers but that's it. Could it not be the chipset drivers? I don't know what else it could be....

chedderslam1

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007

Right, but the only thing it displayed as updating was the Ultra ATA. Would that mean that the agp driver is already installed? I just wish I could figure out what it appears as in device manager so I could verify it is there and reinstall it. I could start remving stuff from there but I would probably screw stuff up since I don't know which device it is actually showing up as.

The inf file has some information in it I will post later, perhaps we can figure out from its entries what to try? Honestly, I'm stumped.

t85us

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
hey there !

a few years ago i had the same problems, but with a lot older hardware (K6/2+ + acorp mobo with via mvp3 chipset + riva tnt2 model64 32MB). the solution was to modify the AGP mode to the DMA mode. after that there were no windows reboots/bsods/random freezes.

this was my tought, hope it was helpful

PS : install the via hyperion drivers again !

chedderslam1

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2007

Thanks for the suggestion, but the bios does not let me change any settings for agp at all. The onlu thing I can change is switching the display mode from agp/integrated to pci, and adjust the memory for integrated video from 1 mb to 32 mb, Could something be wrong with the bios? Others discussing this board have mentioned changing the AGP apeture size, but I don't see that anywhere in the bios.

The board uses an Intel chipset so I would think those don't apply? Am I correct?

I appreciate the suggestions, though.

t85us

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
oh sorry because of the chipset, i don't know why i tought it was a via chip.

the DMA mode can be changed only by software. the dma mode has a little advantage, storing the texture data in the graphics cards memory.

the other mode is the so called "execution mode". in this mode your agp data will be stored in the main memory (ram), performace is slower, for every little data that isn't stored in the card's mem., the gpu needs to get them from RAM. so the route is gpu-gpu mem (here the signal that there is no such data) - the agp bus - mobo chipset - RAM and back.

ok, what i wanted to say, is to boot in safe mode with network support, and search for some software that will enable you to choose between dma and execution modes. some old via accessories prbably will help you.

good luck !

TRENDING THREADS