Sign in with
Your question

GTX 285 ... Gigabyte...Kingston....Q6600...!!!

Last response: in Motherboards
July 10, 2009 3:49:09 AM

ac3144 told me to post this here as well.....i hear BIBLAT can help me as well.
SO HERE IS THE PROBLEM

I used to have a 7300 GS installed on my P35- S3G Gigabyte motherboard. This with a q6600 @ 3.4 @ 1.375 Vcore. So the temps were safe and the overclock was Prime stable. The ram ran at 6-6-6-18 because my ram sucks [Kingston ValueRam 2GB] and i had to loosen it for more overclock. Nevertheless, everything was perfect...pc was fine....!!!

Then I got the EVGA FTW 285 GTX. So all the equipment was the same, but just new graphics. I had installed the graphics and booted. So it restarted in an effort to first get the 3.4 ghz but then rebooted to the original 2.4 Ghz. Everything was stable at 2.4 Ghz. But that was a bottleneck speed, so increased FSB to 333 x9 to try that first at 1.325 Vcore just to see [ RAM: 825 +1V 6-6-6-18 ] but that didn't work. THe pc just rebooted. I tried every possibilty in mulitiplier and FSB and voltage but none worked. It just reboots at the energy logo [not in windows] at startup.. [like this http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/att [...] -001s.jpg]

Do i need to loosen the ram even more?
Bad ram sticks?

I would really appreciate if someone could help me... Its sad because i score a 12320 GPU score...but only a around 8000 so it round up to about P11111...again thank you all for helping...

PS.
I have a Coolit Domino ALC...my temps are in the 32C's
I have a northbridge cooler...just a fan part from the 7300 GS placed on top of the original heatsink.
My mobo is a GA-P35-S3G.
I have a 680 watt power supply..
I moved around the ram sticks in different slots to see if that works...but it doesn't

********I don't know if this helps: I have set the startup to that energy logo thingie where it shows what the motherboard detects...so anyways it always reboots [when overclocked] at the Memory testing thing [where it detects the amount of memory]

So its like----------------------------
Processor Type: Quad COre q 6600 running at 3.0 @ 333x9 [ENGERY LOGO]

Memory Running at Single Channel
Memory Testing...
REBOOT
--------------------------------

If you don't understand ^^^ it looks like this [http://www.aoaforums.com/forum/attachments/intel-mother...]

[http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...]

RAM: Kingston 2 GB Desktop ValueRam 800 mhz 1.8V
[http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...] <<<<<THAT BUT ONE SINGLE 2 GB STICK

RAM OVERCLOCK: Ram was at 800 mhz when the FSB was at 333....ratio was 2.40 (GIGABYTE WAY)....6-6-6-18...Voltage auto

PS...
Cooled Northbridge...no extra voltage
Thermal Control...EIST...all that stuff is turned off
USB Controller 2.0 : ENABLED
USB KEYBOARD SUPPORT: ENABLED
2 hard drives...sata...3 cd/dvd drives...5 fans...one cathode...one set of led...sagitta case
285 gtx ftw evga...hdmi
coolit domino
printer 7350 hp
external 500 GB hard drive...

I can set it to auto voltage and OC it to 3.0 + ghz stable...but when i decide to choose the voltage there is an error....

EXAMPLE:
FSB: 333
Multiplier: 9X
RAM: AUTO
Voltage: AUTO
==============
STABLE!!! [TEMPS: 45+ idle] [COOLIT DOMINO]
==============

FSB: 333
Multiplier: 9X
RAM: AUTO
Voltage: 1.315 V [It used to run prime stable at 1.2625V [32-34 C idle] ]
==============
NOT OK!!! SHUTS OFF IMMEDIATLY AT STARTUP
==============

THANK YOU ALL FOR SPENDING THE TIME TO READ AND TRYING TO HELP THANK YOU
CONTACT: bluejamesbond@gmail.com or just reply here in the forum

a c 177 V Motherboard
August 10, 2009 8:45:21 AM

My first question is always: did you happen to add a USB device at the same time everything started going to hell? GBs are picky about some USB stuff, and can react quite unpredictably; try a peek here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261902-30-gigabyte-ta...

If I understand correctly, you have 1 stick of RAM? or two? We'll cover both possibilities...
Uninstall EasyTune and EnergySaver, if you're using either...
Start by stripping your machine of everything but GPU-monitor, keyboard, and one stick of RAM in slot DDRII1 - the one closest to CPU. Short, or place a jumper on your CLR_CMOS pins for a couple seconds. Power up, enter the BIOS, and do a "Load Optimized Defaults" - save and exit. Next boot, look at the BIOS - the LoadOpt should have set
your CPU to 9x266, or 2.4GHz, your memory multiplier to 3.0A, or it might read 3.0~; all of your autos should have been set correctly from the data it read from the on-chip SPD

Add your second stick to slot DDRII3.

Boot up, and at the first page, hit <F11> Save CMOS to BIOS, it will let you pick and name a storage slot - give it a name that means something - in two hours, 'try1' and 'try2' won't be of much help to you; '266@3.0-800' will; perhaps the first profile created by Load Optimized needs to be called 'BaseLine' - now, no matter what the board does to your OC, you can always get it back to where you had it!

Now, into the BIOS
On the "Advanced BIOS Features" page:

"CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)" to "Disabled"
"CPU Thermal Monitor 2 (TM2)" to "Enabled"
"CPU EIST Function" to "Disabled"
"Virtualization Technology" to "Enabled" if you're using VMware, or Win7VirtualXp
"Full Screen LOGO Show" to "Disabled"
"Init Display First" to "PEG"

On the "Integrated Peripherals" page:

Your manual shows "Legacy USB storage detect", but later BIOS say "USB Storage Function" - either way, set to "Disabled"

On the "Power Management Setup" page:

"ACPI Suspend Type" to "S1(POS)" (for now...)
"HPET Support" to "Enabled"
"HPET Mode" to whichever OS type you're running - "32-bit" if an x86 version, "64-bit" if an x64 version...

On the "MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)" page:

"Robust Graphics Booster" to "Auto"
"CPU Clock Ratio" to "9"
"CPU Frequency" - this one can't be set, it's calculated, and will change when we set the next few items...
"CPU Host Clock Control" to "Enabled"
"CPU Host Frequency (Mhz)" to "334"
"PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)" to "100" (not auto...)
"Performance Enhance" to "Standard"
"System Memory Multiplier (SPD)" to "2.4" (may have a 'B' or '#' after it...)

Set your Vcore to whatever was successful in the past...

Should be ready to rock and roll!

I should point out that getting two reboots in a row here is perfectly normal behavior; it seems that, when you change certain settings (and we don't exactly know which ones - the only sure one I know is Trd - if you change it, I think you get the 'twin' reboot) it boots once to 'see where it's at', recalculates its remaining 'auto' settings, saves them, and then boots again. Three reboots in a row, however, usually indicates that the board was 'given indigestion' by your settings, and is going back to defaults. This sometimes goes astray, and it doesn't get back into proper operation - for example, at this point, mine will sometimes 'lock' itself into 111MHz x a six multiplier - and take a week to do a whole boot - that's time to do a CMOS reset, and use your 'stored' <F12> profile to get back to where you were...

August 12, 2009 3:46:45 AM

bilbat said:
My first question is always: did you happen to add a USB device at the same time everything started going to hell? GBs are picky about some USB stuff, and can react quite unpredictably; try a peek here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261902-30-gigabyte-ta...

If I understand correctly, you have 1 stick of RAM? or two? We'll cover both possibilities...
Uninstall EasyTune and EnergySaver, if you're using either...
Start by stripping your machine of everything but GPU-monitor, keyboard, and one stick of RAM in slot DDRII1 - the one closest to CPU. Short, or place a jumper on your CLR_CMOS pins for a couple seconds. Power up, enter the BIOS, and do a "Load Optimized Defaults" - save and exit. Next boot, look at the BIOS - the LoadOpt should have set
your CPU to 9x266, or 2.4GHz, your memory multiplier to 3.0A, or it might read 3.0~; all of your autos should have been set correctly from the data it read from the on-chip SPD

Add your second stick to slot DDRII3.

Boot up, and at the first page, hit <F11> Save CMOS to BIOS, it will let you pick and name a storage slot - give it a name that means something - in two hours, 'try1' and 'try2' won't be of much help to you; '266@3.0-800' will; perhaps the first profile created by Load Optimized needs to be called 'BaseLine' - now, no matter what the board does to your OC, you can always get it back to where you had it!

Now, into the BIOS
On the "Advanced BIOS Features" page:

"CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)" to "Disabled"
"CPU Thermal Monitor 2 (TM2)" to "Enabled"
"CPU EIST Function" to "Disabled"
"Virtualization Technology" to "Enabled" if you're using VMware, or Win7VirtualXp
"Full Screen LOGO Show" to "Disabled"
"Init Display First" to "PEG"

On the "Integrated Peripherals" page:

Your manual shows "Legacy USB storage detect", but later BIOS say "USB Storage Function" - either way, set to "Disabled"

On the "Power Management Setup" page:

"ACPI Suspend Type" to "S1(POS)" (for now...)
"HPET Support" to "Enabled"
"HPET Mode" to whichever OS type you're running - "32-bit" if an x86 version, "64-bit" if an x64 version...

On the "MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)" page:

"Robust Graphics Booster" to "Auto"
"CPU Clock Ratio" to "9"
"CPU Frequency" - this one can't be set, it's calculated, and will change when we set the next few items...
"CPU Host Clock Control" to "Enabled"
"CPU Host Frequency (Mhz)" to "334"
"PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)" to "100" (not auto...)
"Performance Enhance" to "Standard"
"System Memory Multiplier (SPD)" to "2.4" (may have a 'B' or '#' after it...)

Set your Vcore to whatever was successful in the past...

Should be ready to rock and roll!

I should point out that getting two reboots in a row here is perfectly normal behavior; it seems that, when you change certain settings (and we don't exactly know which ones - the only sure one I know is Trd - if you change it, I think you get the 'twin' reboot) it boots once to 'see where it's at', recalculates its remaining 'auto' settings, saves them, and then boots again. Three reboots in a row, however, usually indicates that the board was 'given indigestion' by your settings, and is going back to defaults. This sometimes goes astray, and it doesn't get back into proper operation - for example, at this point, mine will sometimes 'lock' itself into 111MHz x a six multiplier - and take a week to do a whole boot - that's time to do a CMOS reset, and use your 'stored' <F12> profile to get back to where you were...

BEST ANSWER... THANK YOU BILBAT!!!
!