Sign in with
Your question

No internet since uninstalling Norton Security

Last response: in Networking
June 23, 2009 9:42:13 PM

Hi all, was over a friends house who was having trouble with the net. Fixed the problem (someone messing with user settings etc/new network set up). I noticed they had an expired Norton Security so it was uninstalled. As soon as the computer restarted the internet connection was gone. The laptop using wireless still works fine.
I know that literally hundreds of thousands of people have had this problem (according to google search) but none of these solutions have worked so far:

NETSH commands in CMD.

RELEASE/RENEW IP in CMD.

Deleting Norton via Norton Removal Tool

Reformatting by Factory Partition

Searching for trace of Norton in the registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetServicesDHCP
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetServicesNetBT )

Reset Winsock entries

System Restore

Restoring router to factory settings

Connecting to a new network (Gets to 'Connecting to OPPPP' or whatever the router type is and comes up with a 60 second error)

One thing that is strange is that the computer CANNOT access the router page whereas the laptop can with no problem at all.

June 23, 2009 11:10:51 PM

Quote:
One thing that is strange is that the computer CANNOT access the router page whereas the laptop can with no problem at all.
That's not strange. It can't get to the Internet if it can't get to the local network. How does it get an IP address? I would presume from a DHCP server since you use ipconfig /release or renew. Have you checked all settings for the controller?
June 23, 2009 11:54:19 PM

GhislainG said:
Quote:
That's not strange. It can't get to the Internet if it can't get to the local network. How does it get an IP address? I would presume from a DHCP server since you use ipconfig /release or renew. Have you checked all settings for the controller?

Where can I check that? Clueless with networks.
Related resources
June 24, 2009 2:45:06 AM

In the properties.
June 24, 2009 5:29:24 PM

Nevermind, tried using Norton Removal Tool again and decided to work this time for some reason.
!