il muxu

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
Hi everyone, i have a few questions about my rig.

1) I have a Q9650 and windows 64 bit and it is very very slow. i also have 2GB ddr3 ram and gigabyte mobo. the cpu is slower than the one i had before core 2 duo E6600. I am thinking that the problem is the hardisk because everytime i open a file the light keeps on forever! ( hardisk 250Gb ST3250820AS)

2) i overclocked the cpu from Gigabyte's utility ET6 to 4.05 Ghz and in bios it shows 4.05Ghz but in windows it shows 3.6Ghz and in cpu-z it shos a 6x multiplier. i dont know what the problem is :S

3) i installed HAWX demo game today and during play the screen goes black and then the game continues and it is entering this 'loop' every 2 minutes. also it is saying something about a driver stopped working. (vga: 3870x2).

the last question: the 2gb OCZ ram that i have are showing as 533MHZ and they are 1333MHZ. tried to navigate through bios but dont know how to work around the latencies etc. i really need help to do this. motherboard: gigabyte ep457-ud3p. thank you very much

starams5

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
Hi

Have you tried setting your multiplier manually in the bios? The max Bus/Core Ratio for that CPU is 9.0. Also, it might not be a good idea overclocking your board with a tool from within the Windows environment. OC in the bios.

il muxu

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
hello thanks for ur reply.

i know what the problem was with the multiplier. it seems that the cpu is designed to reduce the multiplier when not in load to reduce the amount of heat sort of economy mode :). when using prime 95 it shows x9 multiplier. the other thing is that i managed to get my ram to 1333mhz. Also the comp seems to work faster now because i underclocked from 4.05ghz to 3.6Ghz and it ismuch better when opeinig files. thanks

starams5

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2009
Try disabling SpeedStep I think its the one causing your multiplier to change. Here go a list of some features that can be disabled to increase performance.

Spread Spectrum Control: All Disabled
CPU Internal Thermal Control: Disabled
Limit CPUID MaxVal=Disabled
Enhanced C1(C1E)=Disabled
CPU C State Capability=Disabled
Execute Disable Bit=Disabled
Virtualization Technology=Disabled
Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology