Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Recommended overclocking settings on CCC?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
Share
August 19, 2010 1:56:05 AM

Hi, I've never had a dedicated video card before. I built my first computer recently and I have a i7-930 processor (not OC'ed nor will I plan to) 6 gb ram and an XFX Radeon HD 5850.

I overclocked my card to the max (775 mhz GPU clock speed and 1125 mhz Memory clock speed).

Stock speeds are 725/1000. I also put my fan on 100%. That wasn't enought because I think I overheated my card because I got the GSOD (grey screen of death) while playing Medieval Total War at maxed settings.

1. What do you suppose caused this?

2. What settings do you recommend I set my GPU at?

Edit: I forgot to mention I use Catalyst Control Center as my overclocking tool since I'm a beginner. I don't want to mess up my video card which is why I'm not touching RivaTuner. Thank you!

More about : recommended overclocking settings ccc

August 19, 2010 3:38:08 AM

stock coolers on video cards are total crap youll need to buy a aftermarket cooler to
run that card safe at those settings
Score
0

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a c 183 K Overclocking
August 19, 2010 3:58:26 AM

Carc369 said:
Hi, I've never had a dedicated video card before. I built my first computer recently and I have a i7-930 processor (not OC'ed nor will I plan to) 6 gb ram and an XFX Radeon HD 5850.

I overclocked my card to the max (775 mhz GPU clock speed and 1125 mhz Memory clock speed).

Stock speeds are 725/1000. I also put my fan on 100%. That wasn't enought because I think I overheated my card because I got the GSOD (grey screen of death) while playing Medieval Total War at maxed settings.

1. What do you suppose caused this?

2. What settings do you recommend I set my GPU at?

Edit: I forgot to mention I use Catalyst Control Center as my overclocking tool since I'm a beginner. I don't want to mess up my video card which is why I'm not touching RivaTuner. Thank you!

Your settings sound ok to me that's what i run my XFX 5850 at.
My fan is set at 27% too and no problems playing Napolean at max.
I think you have other issues causing your problems.
What CCC version do you have?
I run CCC 10.4 with no issues it's rock solid and i've tried newer versions but they caused stability issues.
Also when you upgrade versions you have to totally uninstall the previous version in Add/Remove.
For best results download DriverSweeper after you add/remove CCC
Run it in Safemode/check of ATI/click purge/then install CCC
You could also use MSI Afterburner to monitor your gpu it's safe and compatible
Good luck!:) 

Share
Related resources
August 19, 2010 2:04:50 PM

davcon said:
Your settings sound ok to me that's what i run my XFX 5850 at.
My fan is set at 27% too and no problems playing Napolean at max.
I think you have other issues causing your problems.
What CCC version do you have?
I run CCC 10.4 with no issues it's rock solid and i've tried newer versions but they caused stability issues.
Also when you upgrade versions you have to totally uninstall the previous version in Add/Remove.
For best results download DriverSweeper after you add/remove CCC
Run it in Safemode/check of ATI/click purge/then install CCC
You could also use MSI Afterburner to monitor your gpu it's safe and compatible
Good luck!:) 



Yea I have CCC 10.7
Score
0
a c 124 U Graphics card
a c 100 K Overclocking
August 19, 2010 3:35:58 PM

dj1997 said:
stock coolers on video cards are total crap youll need to buy a aftermarket cooler to
run that card safe at those settings


Mostly wrong. I have 2 reference model Sapphire 5850s and easily surpass those settings with the fan never going over 70% to keep the cards under ~70C in FurMark. Gaming more like 60C. They were set to 870/1200.

GSOD is generally caused by VRAM issue. Could be heat, depending on the exact model you got. You should run GPUZ to see what all the sensors are reading, since most things only give one core reading which often is the lowest. If the VRM or VRAM are getting too hot then there will be issues. Otherwise, lower the memory clock a bit.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
a c 190 K Overclocking
August 19, 2010 3:44:36 PM

My Sapphire 5770 toasts those settings too with no issues whatsoever (950/1200, fan on auto),
I do recall reading on Toms about Xfx cards having heat issues tho,
I use CCC as well, 10.7
try a spare fan blowing directly onto the card, see if it helps maybe?
Moto

Score
0
August 19, 2010 6:21:40 PM

i also have a XFX 5770 running at max since i got it last year

(GPU Clock: 960MHZ; Memory Clock: 1445 MHZ, all running at 40 degrees celsius, with fans only at 35%)
Score
0
August 21, 2010 4:22:27 AM

davcon said:
Your settings sound ok to me that's what i run my XFX 5850 at.
My fan is set at 27% too and no problems playing Napolean at max.
I think you have other issues causing your problems.
What CCC version do you have?
I run CCC 10.4 with no issues it's rock solid and i've tried newer versions but they caused stability issues.
Also when you upgrade versions you have to totally uninstall the previous version in Add/Remove.
For best results download DriverSweeper after you add/remove CCC
Run it in Safemode/check of ATI/click purge/then install CCC
You could also use MSI Afterburner to monitor your gpu it's safe and compatible
Good luck!:) 


yep this was the problem. Stupid 10.7.
Score
0
August 21, 2010 4:22:39 AM

Best answer selected by Carc369.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
a c 183 K Overclocking
August 21, 2010 4:41:05 AM

Carc369 said:
yep this was the problem. Stupid 10.7.

Glad to hear you're up and running!:) 
I figured that was it stupid 10.7 lol!
Score
0
a c 274 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
November 4, 2010 6:35:36 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!