Recommended overclocking settings on CCC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carc369

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
Hi, I've never had a dedicated video card before. I built my first computer recently and I have a i7-930 processor (not OC'ed nor will I plan to) 6 gb ram and an XFX Radeon HD 5850.

I overclocked my card to the max (775 mhz GPU clock speed and 1125 mhz Memory clock speed).

Stock speeds are 725/1000. I also put my fan on 100%. That wasn't enought because I think I overheated my card because I got the GSOD (grey screen of death) while playing Medieval Total War at maxed settings.

1. What do you suppose caused this?

2. What settings do you recommend I set my GPU at?

Edit: I forgot to mention I use Catalyst Control Center as my overclocking tool since I'm a beginner. I don't want to mess up my video card which is why I'm not touching RivaTuner. Thank you!

Solution

Your settings sound ok to me that's what i run my XFX 5850 at.
My fan is set at 27% too and no problems playing Napolean at max.
I think you have other issues causing your problems.
What CCC version do you have?
I run CCC 10.4 with no issues it's rock solid and i've tried newer versions but they caused stability issues.
Also when you upgrade versions you have to totally uninstall the previous version in Add/Remove.
For best results download DriverSweeper after you add/remove CCC
Run it in Safemode/check of ATI/click purge/then install CCC
You could also use MSI Afterburner to monitor your gpu it's safe and compatible
Good luck!:)

Solution

Carc369

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010

Yea I have CCC 10.7

Mostly wrong. I have 2 reference model Sapphire 5850s and easily surpass those settings with the fan never going over 70% to keep the cards under ~70C in FurMark. Gaming more like 60C. They were set to 870/1200.

GSOD is generally caused by VRAM issue. Could be heat, depending on the exact model you got. You should run GPUZ to see what all the sensors are reading, since most things only give one core reading which often is the lowest. If the VRM or VRAM are getting too hot then there will be issues. Otherwise, lower the memory clock a bit.

Carc369

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010

yep this was the problem. Stupid 10.7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS