Sign in with
Your question

GIGABYTE GV-R485ZL-512H Radeon HD 4850 512MB

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 4, 2009 8:50:58 PM

Need some help. Everytime I install the drivers for the card, the system crashes. I have installed on a clean install of windows before and after patches and it still will not boot up. I have to restart in safe mode to disable the drivers to get anywhere. I am using the latest drivers.

Setup

ASUS p5q-e /E8400
8 GB Memory
700 W OCZ PSU
Windows Vista Ultimate X64

Temperatures:

GPU Temp 107
CPU Temp 20
System 32

Any help is appreciated.
a b U Graphics card
March 5, 2009 3:14:36 PM

Welcome to the forums!

Your GPU temperature is kind of hot.
You can increase the fan speed with Rivatuner.
Clean the dust and dust bunnies.
a c 140 U Graphics card
March 5, 2009 4:18:28 PM

is that 107F or 107C. 107C is BAD! and should be RMAed.

107F ~ 42C which is really good so i doubt it is F.
Related resources
March 5, 2009 6:36:24 PM

Thanks for the welcome and the help. I have cleaned out the dust bunnies. I added 2-120mm fans that blow directly on the card now. Jumped up the fan speed to 100 with the riva tuner. My gpu temp is now 44c which I think should be good. I tried the drivers from ati dated from feb and still got the same result. Tried the driver from windows update that was from Oct and it still wont boot up. Go back to safe mode and disable the device, reboot and everything comes up just fine.

Any more ideas or is it just time to rma this thing back.
March 5, 2009 11:44:56 PM

Is your Power Supply feeding enough juice for it?
a c 140 U Graphics card
March 6, 2009 1:15:46 AM

IT sounds like the cooler isn't doing it's job. Maybe they forgot to goop it? Maybe remove the cooler, clean it off, and re paste it.
March 6, 2009 7:27:04 PM

jay2tall said:
IT sounds like the cooler isn't doing it's job. Maybe they forgot to goop it? Maybe remove the cooler, clean it off, and re paste it.

Does removing the cooler void the warranty? :??: 

Because if it voids the warranty then he could not RMA it???

I'm asking because I've read some warranties of some brand which stated that making changes to the card like overclocking or removing cooler will void the warranty. (I don't know about Gigabyte's warranty)

Maybe we can make changes and then lie to them in case if it does not work so we might still be able to RMA it. :D 
March 8, 2009 1:48:31 PM

I think the power supply is good as all I got hooked up is the mb,cpu-fan, dvd drive, 2 hard drives and now 5 case fans. I did get some thermal grease yesterday and regooped. No change. I think this thing will have to go back to gigabyte. I am not planning on telling gigabyte about this. Not sure if they can tell I removed the cooler to test.
March 8, 2009 3:46:48 PM

sureshot69 said:
I think the power supply is good as all I got hooked up is the mb,cpu-fan, dvd drive, 2 hard drives and now 5 case fans. I did get some thermal grease yesterday and regooped. No change. I think this thing will have to go back to gigabyte. I am not planning on telling gigabyte about this. Not sure if they can tell I removed the cooler to test.

Removing the cooler and adding thermal grease is already like a change or re-modification or non factory-state even if you felt that it is not different or you felt that you haven't make any changes but Gigabyte might consider it as making changes or re-modification of their card as voiding your warranty so they might not RMA it. :ouch: 

If you tell them the truth then they might not RMA it at all and you risk to go and buy a new video card.

Anyway, I don't know well about Gigabyte's warranty but since you already removed cooler and added thermal grease then I suggest you to wipe off the thermal grease and making it look like it is factory-stated product or "clean" rather than re-modified product and don't tell them about the modification you made so that they might RMA it especially when you show it to them. :( 

Maybe your card is DOA or a defected card? If it is so then Gigabyte must RMA it for you as long as the warranty is not void. Or perhaps it is a problem with the driver and they still have to release a new fixed driver or something. :??: 

Anyway, Check the Gigabyte's warranty again on their website to be sure and Good luck! :D 
March 8, 2009 3:59:19 PM

These are 2 paragraphs from Gigabyte's RMA website:

http://rma.gigabyte-usa.com/DirectRMA/EndUser_Main.asp

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Warranty Exclusions

# Products with missing or defaced serial numbers
# Products damaged by environmental factors, which include oxidation and/or damages caused by natural disasters
# Physical Damages which include, but not limited to, the following:

o Unauthorized modifications
o Misuse, neglect or improper assembly
o Transport damages due to improper packaging or carrier
o Burns resulting from faulty or failed electric power
o Missing/bent pins
(For socket 775 motherboards, CPU socket cover is REQUIRED)
o Cracked components

# GIGABYTE will not be liable for general, consequential, incidental or special damages which include, but not limited to, the following:

o Loss or recovery of data
o Loss of profit
o Installation or replacement products
o Inspection or testing costs
o Installation and removal fees

# GIGABYTE will not be responsible non-GIGABYTE products received
# GIGABYTE will contact customers for return shipping/freight charge of physically damaged, out of warranty and/or non-GIGABYTE products. GIGABYTE will not be responsible for product(s) if there is no response or payment received within 1 year of contact to customer.

Out of Warranty Products

GIGABYTE may attempt to repair out of warranty products if under following circumstances:

1.) Customer agrees to pay $45 labor and part charge prior to repairs
2.) No physical damages
3.) Parts are available for repair

GIGABYTE will NOT be responsible for the return shipping/freight charge using UPS or FedEx ground service. More advance shipping will also be at customer's expense.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that this warranty is only for customers in USA but I am not sure if it applies to those in Europe or Africa or Asia. Make sure that the warranty applies to your region.
March 29, 2011 4:56:16 PM

you need to remove your previous drivers, for whatever video card you used before. Also do a driver sweeper, or ccleaner. Then download an official driver from ati. 43 c° is possible with the factory cooler. (Zalman cooler does the job! :)  ) Mine runs up to 43 C° under furmark stress which is kind of unbelievable since, 4850s tend to run hot like 100 C°.
!