Sign in with
Your question

Asus p5q-e not finding WD6400AAKS

Last response: in Systems
February 8, 2009 7:00:13 PM

Lets get right to it. I have the following build...

8500 w xigmatek HDT s1283
asus p5q-e
WD6400AAKS (WD 640 GB SATA HDD)
Visiontek 4870
2x2 GB mushkin in DC
DVD/CD, pc power cooling 610 W PS, Cooler Master 690 case

Nothing fancy here, just a standard build.

Mobo is not detecting the HDD.

So I updated bios to most current version.

Mobo still doesnt detect HDD.

My goal is to load a vista business x64 OS on here.

Can I get ANY help as to what the heck to do to get the mobo to recognize my HDD??? Its not going to run in raid or anything fancy, so I shouldn't need any drivers. I have even called asus up and they told me that with default settings on the bios, it should autodetect an SATA HDD up to 2TB.

Please help. Thanks.
February 8, 2009 8:19:56 PM

Make sure that AHCI is turned off in the BIOS. Try a different SATA port.

Are you using one of those two Drive Xpert ports? Try using the standard SATA ports that stick straight up.
February 8, 2009 9:51:43 PM

AHCI is off.

Tried 3 different SATA ports, port 0,1,2 (SATA 1, 2, 3) all the standing up ones

Not using Xpert crap.

Any more ideas?

Asus customer support said to RMA for a potential bad SATA controller... man does this suck or what.
Related resources
February 9, 2009 12:04:13 AM

Yeah, I would certainly check the hard drive on a friends computer first, but sounds like it's the board.

Cheer up though, it's a great motherboard. You're the first person I ever saw that had a bad one.... although there were early driver issues.
a b Ĉ ASUS
February 9, 2009 12:33:48 AM

you did have the power cable plugged in to the hard drive right?

If you can try any other hard drive or sata dvd drive in those ports . If bios sees them then its likely your hdd is doa .
February 9, 2009 12:39:59 AM

Try using a different sata cable and try a differet sata power cable from psu. I know it sounds simple, but they can often be the cause.
February 9, 2009 2:49:32 AM

I tried different SATA cables.

Yes, the HDD was plugged in.

I will try and use a different power cable, but i am sure the HDD was spinning as i put my hand on it and I could feel it whirling around.

Like i said, i tried 3x SATA hard drives, 2 of them I know are good. one is a Seagate 120 GB SATA, the other a 180 GB seagate SATA.

Also, I have put my SATA DVD drive in all of the ports, it registers perfect on all the ports...
Does this mean that its an HDD issue and not a SATA controller issue with the mobo?
February 9, 2009 5:12:03 AM

If you put a known working HD in and it isn't recognizing it, I would start to look at the SATA controller in the BIOS. You could throw in a IDE HD to be more sure. Check in the BIOS and see what is enabled for the controller.
February 9, 2009 5:47:26 PM

SATA is enabled. I have toyed with every option in the bios regarding SATA/Raid/AHCI. Nothing seems to work.
February 10, 2009 12:52:47 AM

Did you try using the optimized defaults and the original defaults? That's the only other options I can think of.
February 10, 2009 4:47:55 PM

Yup. Optimized, default, my own. Done it all.

At this point, i am fairly certain its a mobo SATA controller issue... but I have one doubt, and I will reiterate it again here (it is outlined above).

The HDD, properly wired, is not being recognized by the mobo. Other HDD are also not being recognized by the mobo. However, those same ports, when attached to my SATA DVD drive, recognized without a hitch.

What kind of problem would this indicate? Would this indicate an HDD issue, could all 3 of my drives be bad OR is there a seperate SATA HDD and SATA DVD controller (sorry for the noobiness of this question, not a SATA pro here).
a b Ĉ ASUS
February 10, 2009 5:01:35 PM

power is the only other option

are you certain the power connector you are using on the hard drives is working?

If you have the case open and the hard drive on a rubber mat beside the computer and connected , it sould be obvious if it is powering . You will hear it .
February 10, 2009 11:23:22 PM

yah, its on a static bag, i grab the sides and can feel it whirling.
February 10, 2009 11:28:09 PM

Sounds like it's time to send the board back.
!