Fastest Setup??

Hi guys.

I'm looking for fast setup!

I have (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB Drives
Thinking about getting (1) SSD 64 gig & running OS off it.

Can I run all 3 in a RAID 0 array - and would this be suggested?

Do you recommend a Raid Controller?

Thanks.

Build in process:
Intel i7 920 CPU
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX MOBO
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3
Thermaltake VH6000BWS Armor+ Full-Tower
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W PSU
Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB
LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Black SATA
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
4 answers Last reply
More about fastest setup
  1. pretty sure for raid 0 with those drives, you would only use 64GB of the raptors. I'd suggest that the SSD (if you get one of the new ones) will give you a lot of speed. Is there something specific you are dealing with that is slow, or you just want "fast"?
  2. Awesome thanks for the reply.

Video editing and Media (After Effects & Maya) + gaming and such.

Well the SDD speed I hear is awesome when running the OS on it, and I figured my programs and games would do well with the raptors.

I'm thinking I'll use an SSD as non-raid with OS, and (2) raptors in Raid-0 would be great. Though I've never owned an SSD so all this is hypothetical lol.

I wonder if I'd see an improvement with the SSD...
  3. take a look at this review, and where the raptor 600gb compares to various SSDs:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/SSD/65

for some benchmarks, it isn't even close. For a few, the raptor beats some of the slower SSDs. Of course, you have quite a bit more room on the raptors than the SSD, and for video that could be an issue.

Raptors in raid 0 should be very nice (no redundancy, make sure you back up elsewhere though)
  4. Wow thanks for the link gtvr, those benchmarks are insane...

I've been watching the prices on SSD's for some time now, actually found a good one for $114 right now on newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139133

Thanks for the tip soldier37!
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Storage Product