Physx rendering on ati card

maxpayne94

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
Hi guyz i wanted to know if i can run physx on one single ati card.Do i need another nvidia card with an ati card to run physx? plz reply ASAP!

unclefester

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
ATI graphics cards "do not" have the capacity to run PhysX/CUDA. But they can be ran together with an nVidia graphics card in conjunction with a specially modified file.

I "would not" recommend going out and buying an nVidia video card for just a hand full of games or to improve scores on just 1 or 2 benchmarks.

mohsentux

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009

better !
i like physx. but since nvidia bought it and put it on their gpus i feel I'm forced to have a nvidia card to have a good looking physx game. after all it's the way it's meant to be force played [:mohsentux:8]

Who says it would have not been the other way around if ATi had been able to afford Ageia? Considering the way that ATi has been towards Nvidia over the last few years I wouldn't be surprised if they had wanted to licence it out rather than share freely.

mohsentux

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009

I'm not saying i don't like nvidia. i'm saying if Ageia didn't sell themselves non of these would have happened and we were waiting for mafia 2 with our Ageia PPU in our PCs and happy ever after :kaola:
but now we're stuck between good prices (ati) and good features (nvidia)

The thread has been answered, but I'll just addon... for fun..

I run a GT 240 for PhysX, which I only really bought because I got it for $65 after rebate and I figure, at this point, why not. I already spent a couple grand on my PC, what's $65 to get that last bell? Hah. Anyway, I like it. Played the Mafia 2 demo last night, it looks pretty cool aside from some annoying glitches/crashing, and not the best PC options (although it has great multithreading).

So... yeah. If you want PhysX just for shits and giggles because you play (or will play) Batman AA, Cryostasis, Mirror's Edge, Dark Void, Mafia 2 (and a few otheres) then get a cheap card. A GT240 is great, or go older like 9600GT, 9800GT w/e. Just don't spend a lot you don't need a powerful GPU for it.

dont_look@me

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
Did they fix the problem of nVidia drivers turning off physx when paired with an ATI card? ATI has their own way of dealing with pysics for games and it is called Bullet. Basically is a mdified Havok engine.

What do you mean fix? It was done on purpose and as such it is not broken and does not need to be "fixed" and where is ATi's version of PhysX? I see people going on about it all the time but still no sign of any actual software or implementation.

dont_look@me

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010

Well, if you put it that way you are correct that nVidia don't want any non nVidia cards taking advantage of Physx. Most games have been offloading physics rendering to the CPU and Batman Arkham is one of the first games to actually use the GPU with nVidia's Physx implementation.

More information here about pairing up and nVidia card with ATI.

This is one reason I would go with nVidia if I played a game that support Physx.

I think that only came about because ATi's PR manager was forever talking smack about Nvidia and kept saying that PhysX was useless and nobody wanted it, so Nvidia flipped them the bird and then sat back and chuckled at the amount of ATi users who started whining that they couldn't use PhysX.

dont_look@me

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010

yeah, I can imagine the nVidia CEO with his pinky on the corner of his mought... thinking about the millions dollars he's going make with Physx... Bwaahahahahaa....

It would be good for us consumers if ATI did get off their buts and took pyhsics more seriously.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one if I were you, ATi have been talking about GPU accelerated physics since the days of the X16xxXT/X19xxXT series which was what? 2005/2006 and they have yet to bring anything to market.

dont_look@me

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010

We can only hope that ATI do something since more and more games developers are taking advantage of this technology so nVidia won't monopolize it.

What'll probably happen is ATI buy rights from nVidia to use a moded version of Physx if nVidia gets bored of the competition.

ATi have already said that they will never purchase a licence from Nvidia to allow them to use PhysX so ATi users are just going to have to sit back and wait for their favourite team to come up with something useful, it's only been five years so far so it shouldn't be long now. :lol:

dont_look@me

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
So hope this ansers your question Maxpayne.

If you really want Physx then I would just replace that ATI card with an nVidia of equal performance or better unless you have a xfire setup and it would be too costly to replace.