Sign in with
Your question

Newbie in need of some advice about dual screens and dual graphicscard

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 4, 2009 11:16:14 PM

So I admit that I am very inexperienced and new to alot of this stuff, so you may have to bear with my utter cluelessness. I just got a Nvidia 9800 gtx+. I have an old 6600 gt. I want to use the power of both graphics cards. I can do that right? I was told that they both had to be 9800 but when I looked into the SLI stuff it seems that they don't. Also I run dual screens. Would it be better to have both screens on one card or one on one card, and the other on the other card. Sorry for my total lack of knowledge here.
March 5, 2009 2:08:38 AM

1. I believe that nVidia cards do have to match.
2. Even if you could SLI your 2 cards their in different directX specifications, meaning you would only be able to run games that are directX 9.0c compliant.
3. You can have 2 monitors plugged in, but they must be plugged into the same card.

This link should help out.
http://www.slizone.com/page/slizone_faq.html#g1
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 5, 2009 3:09:08 AM

you can use the old card as a Phys card probably.

And I heard there is some crazy new tech coming out that will allow totally different GPUs to be used together (some Israeli company)...but that won't come out in the near future probably.
m
l
Related resources
March 5, 2009 4:58:48 AM

The link does not appear to work?
m
l
March 5, 2009 2:48:11 PM

if you are going to sli, the cards must match. if not, you can use them both and the 6600 will be used for phisix.
in sli mode you can only use one monitor, only windows 7 supports 2 monitors and you have to download the beta driver from nvidia page.
if you use the 6600 for phisix both monitors most be connected to the 9800.

either way, the 6600 is a very old card and wont make any diference if you connect a second monitor to it
m
l
!