Bad board? Bad processor?

TomJones75

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
I currently am helping build a computer for gaming. The client has an EVGA 780i FTW board and an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0ghz processor. This has been a problem for some time. When we finally got the BIOS to post it scrolled across the screen very slow, like someone typing with the hunt & peck method. There have been 3 codes so far on the 7 segment display. Code 25, Code FF and Code 00. Trying to find a meaning for code 00 has been futile.

The memory tests fine. The Graphics card is fine, we have tried several diffrent cards just to be sure. This is the 5th board. The likelihood of getting 5 boards with the same errors seems statistically impossible. This is the 2nd processor as well. At this point we are both pretty lost, and are close to sending the boadr back for a refund...

Any Ideas? Thanks.

Some of these nvidia boards were nightmares. They say they'll work with 1333 processors but in reality a lot of them don't. A 1066/800 bus would probably boot up and have no problem...??. A bios update might help. Did you try a "lesser" processor ?

I just purchased an XFX 750sli board. It too says 1333 FSB but on the box it also says date of manufacture..... 21/09...... should have the newest bios in it and have no problems.... I hope.

ptoth

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
You have a bad motherboard. The symptoms you're describing aren't consistent with a bad processor, video card, or power supply. Send it back. You seem reluctant to believe the motherboard is fault--don't be, it's not that uncommon.

Mephisto68

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
Check to make sure the motherboard is grounded properly, its not your memory or your video card, if you have to take the motherboard out of the case and test it outside of the case, if the same problems happens then your motherboard is gone.