v551 vs. v600

Last response: in Network Providers
February 13, 2005 5:53:59 PM

I am a sprint user and have used my trusty Sanyo 4900 for years. Yes it is
big, but the speakerphone and battery life are incredible. Now I am going to
switch to cingular because my employer will reimburse my cellphone bill if I
switch to cingular. Since I am very accustom to long battery life and a
great speakerphone I have narrowed it down to the 2 motorolas. But I have
read some issues with battery life on the 551. With my extended battery on
my Sanyo I can get about 7 real hours of talk, butt he phone is like a brick
with that big battery. Cingular advertises up to 7 hours. Some people are
saying they only get 2 hours. I also hear of some disconnect issues? Any
comments appreciated.

More about : v551 v600

February 13, 2005 5:54:00 PM

Jeff Johnson wrote:
> I am a sprint user and have used my trusty Sanyo 4900 for years. Yes it is
> big, but the speakerphone and battery life are incredible. Now I am going to
> switch to cingular because my employer will reimburse my cellphone bill if I
> switch to cingular. Since I am very accustom to long battery life and a
> great speakerphone I have narrowed it down to the 2 motorolas. But I have
> read some issues with battery life on the 551. With my extended battery on
> my Sanyo I can get about 7 real hours of talk, butt he phone is like a brick
> with that big battery. Cingular advertises up to 7 hours. Some people are
> saying they only get 2 hours. I also hear of some disconnect issues? Any
> comments appreciated.

Well, Jeff, for one thing, Cingular no longer offers the V600 (at least
not where I've been) - something about the V600's firmware and the
Cingular Subsidy Lock not playing nice together - so I can't speak to
the V600. Cingular offers the V551 as it's replacement, of which I own
two, and am completely happy with. This is not to say I get 7 hours of
talk time, more like ~5 hours, and this seems okay to me considering the
nebulous nature of performance ratings - especially this one.
Admittedly, I traded in a Nokia GAIT and a Nokia TDMA clunkers for the
551s (which was quite a step up) and am very satisfied with the overall
performance of the 551 including with the Moto HS810 BT headset, EDGE
capability, speaker phone, and car kits. I've even captured a couple of
images with the little camera and while not up to the specs of a
dedicated camera, is certainly good enough for it's intended use. SMS
usage is typical of a cell phone (less than with a PDA), and I consider
the display to be more than adequate for my occasional use. Personally,
I think the fidelity of the 551 to be second to none, and several of my
friends are as happy with their 551s and I am with mine.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'