No VGA Detected!please help!

Amitava83

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Guys,
Most weird problem!After updating my Graphics crad with the latest drivers,my machine gives One Long,Three Short Beeps while booting,which according to my Mobo manual indicates No VGA Detected,and then freezes completely.
Now,the strange part is that when I press the Power Button for some time,the machine recovers from its freezed state and boots normally.

Also,this does NOT occur everytime I switch on my PC.It is random and erratic

Is it a problem with the corrupt driver or my PCI-E slot or my card itself??

To note:When my PC boots finally in an OS(Vista.XP),I can do everything including playng games for long hours without any crashes or freeze ups.
My mobo has got two other PCI-E slots of the same config as the one the graphics card is currently fitted into.

I'm at my wits end.Please help.

Config:C2D E7300 | ASUS P5Q-E | Palit Radeon HD4870 1GB DDR5 | Corsair 800Mhz 2X2GB 5-5-5-18 | Seagate 500GB 7200.11 |Corsair TX 650W| Corsair CM 690 |Dell 19"|Creative t6100

johnmoney

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Have you tried taking out the card and putting it back in? Sometimes they become loose which would explain the beeping.

I don't think a driver would cause the computer not to boot up, it would cause something to go wrong once you got to windows maybe.

Also, you mentioned you have alternate slots you can plug the card into, have you tried moving it to one of those slots?

Amitava83

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Can anyone tell me urgently is there any difference in speeds/transfer rates or anything whatsoever between the two PCI-E X16 slots in ASUS P5Q-E mobo(one blue and one black)?Or are they exactly identical.

This is because I need to shift my Gfx card from blue to the black slot and I'm worried about a performance downgrade.

Amitava83

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009

RMA 1 stick?Could you elaborate?

1haplo

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Install the card in the blue PCI-E, The Blue is X16, the black are X8 (Upper) and X4 (Lower).

Download and run Memtest86. It is a program that will test your RAM. You should have NO errors.

Do you have another Video Card? If you do, swap cards and see if the porblem the card or another.

Trouble shooting is very important, Narrowing it down is the hardest part, because it could be the Video card, RAM, Motherboard, PSU.

Try this.

1) If you have another Video Card, swap them out and see if that is the problem.
2) If the problem stays, Run Memtest86.
3) If no errors, Put Video Card in the top black slot, If the porblem is gone it is the blue PCI-E slot. If still there Check the PSU.

Most cards come with a MOLDEX to 6PIN PCI-E adapter see if the power supply PCI-E supply bad, If you have a multi 12v rail supply try both rails and you can even ues both if you use one moldex from each rail.

1Haplo