Quick HDMI question!!!

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • HDMI
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics Cards
March 4, 2009 11:56:50 PM

My dad has back problems which make sitting at a normal computer troublesome for him. His vision is also not that great. He does however have a pc and a large plasma screen. I'm pretty sure there is a cost effective way to get the output from the pc onto the screen. There is an HDMI (type a, 19-pin) input on the back of the screen, and you can get a video card with HDMI output for less than $30. I can't help but wonder though, is it as simple as installing the video card and getting a long enough cable, then just plugging them in? Also, are there still issues with plasma and still images? I don't know the manufacture date of his screen, but it's probably around 2-3 years old. Here is what he has, and the video card I'm looking at. Can someone see anything that tells them this will NOT work like it appears on the surface that it will? Thanks in advance.

Screen: Panasonic TH50PX50U <http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-th-50p...;rnav>

Connector Type 2 x Composite video/audio input ( RCA phono x 3 ) - Rear , 2 x S-Video input ( 4 pin mini-DIN ) - Rear , 1 x Composite video/audio output ( RCA phono x 3 ) - Rear , 2 x Component video input ( RCA phono x 3 ) - Rear , 3 x Audio line-in ( RCA phono x 2 ) - Rear , 1 x HDMI ( 19 pin HDMI Type A ) - Rear , 1 x Digital audio output (optical) - Rear

Video Card: ASUS EAH3450/DI/256M Radeon HD 3450 256MB 64-bit
<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...;

More about : quick hdmi question

March 5, 2009 12:37:01 AM

ckassem said:
My dad has back problems which make sitting at a normal computer troublesome for him. His vision is also not that great. He does however have a pc and a large plasma screen. I'm pretty sure there is a cost effective way to get the output from the pc onto the screen. There is an HDMI (type a, 19-pin) input on the back of the screen, and you can get a video card with HDMI output for less than $30. I can't help but wonder though, is it as simple as installing the video card and getting a long enough cable, then just plugging them in? Also, are there still issues with plasma and still images? I don't know the manufacture date of his screen, but it's probably around 2-3 years old. Here is what he has, and the video card I'm looking at. Can someone see anything that tells them this will NOT work like it appears on the surface that it will? Thanks in advance.

Screen: Panasonic TH50PX50U <http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-th-50p...;rnav>

Connector Type 2 x Composite video/audio input ( RCA phono x 3 ) - Rear , 2 x S-Video input ( 4 pin mini-DIN ) - Rear , 1 x Composite video/audio output ( RCA phono x 3 ) - Rear , 2 x Component video input ( RCA phono x 3 ) - Rear , 3 x Audio line-in ( RCA phono x 2 ) - Rear , 1 x HDMI ( 19 pin HDMI Type A ) - Rear , 1 x Digital audio output (optical) - Rear

Video Card: ASUS EAH3450/DI/256M Radeon HD 3450 256MB 64-bit
<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...;

on the surface i see no reason that you cant use whats listed there together. if the existing video card has a dvi port you can get an adapater for 6 bux online to convert it to hdmi.
i'd probly use 720p on that tv rather than 1080i. the slow refresh rate of 1080i gets old pretty quick.

add in a nice bluetooth keyboard/mouse so you can sit on the couch and you should be golden.

ps. no need to go hdmi unless you need hdcp. since the tv doesnt support 1080p you can get a vga to component cable and keep all existing hardware. dont bother with composite or svideo.
March 5, 2009 4:00:59 AM

Awesome. Yeah, the wireless gear is definitely in the works for that. Now they just need to add the new video card, and continue to use the existing card to display the screen in the office (where the pc is located), and send the new card's output to the hdmi out. Is there any way to send the hdmi video signal wirelessly to the Panasonic? That would be "player edition", and just to double check, do plasmas still have burn in problems or are they past that now?
Related resources
March 5, 2009 4:16:15 AM

"add in a nice bluetooth keyboard/mouse so you can sit on the couch and you should be golden."

Agreed
March 5, 2009 3:22:31 PM

ckassem said:
Awesome. Yeah, the wireless gear is definitely in the works for that. Now they just need to add the new video card, and continue to use the existing card to display the screen in the office (where the pc is located), and send the new card's output to the hdmi out. Is there any way to send the hdmi video signal wirelessly to the Panasonic? That would be "player edition", and just to double check, do plasmas still have burn in problems or are they past that now?

there is wireless hdmi but its expensive. and i have no idea how well it works. but here's one i found on a quick search.
http://www.buy.com/prod/wireless-hdmi-extender/q/loc/11...

i cant answer the plasma burnin question as its been several years since i've dealt with one. i'd check out some av forums and ask there.

March 5, 2009 9:49:14 PM

Ignatowski said:
there is wireless hdmi but its expensive. and i have no idea how well it works. but here's one i found on a quick search.
http://www.buy.com/prod/wireless-hdmi-extender/q/loc/11...

i cant answer the plasma burnin question as its been several years since i've dealt with one. i'd check out some av forums and ask there.

Sweet. All in all then, everything comes out to about $175 (on newegg), shipped. I've decided to send him a new video card, hdmi cable, hdmi switch (w/ remote), a second short hdmi cable (output of switch --> input on tv), logitech wireless keyboard, and a logitech wireless trackball that can rest on the arm of his recliner. I think that's everything. I'll walk him through the video card setup, as that will likely be the most difficult part. Even that should still be pretty easy. I appreciate your input, and I'll check on the screen burn in issue elsewhere. Later!
a c 109 U Graphics card
March 6, 2009 2:44:23 AM

The Radeon 3450 should have come with a DVI to HDMI adapter. If it didn't you should be able to get one from new egg along with a 6ft HDMI cable. You could also use a component output, but then you will also need to buy an adapter to connect the stereo output with the corresponding audio input. Panasonic makes the best Plasmas, but since that is an older model I don't think it has the pixel shifter technologies. While Panasonic has done alot to reduce burn in the pixle shifter technology is an extra step that shifts static pixels in a patern to further reduce burn in.