Dell Dimension 4700

ABCsofthePCs

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
I have a Dell Dimension 4700 Pentium 4 and 2 GB memory.. I want to juice it up alil to play games and what not. What could i do?

You could add 2 more gigs of memory, assuming 2 open slots. That will cost you maybe $25 shipped. Run cpu-z, a free download, which will id your memory brand and speed. You can also go with a mid range video card without upgrading the power supply. Newegg has an asus en9500GT/OC/DI/512 meg for only $41.99 after rebate with free shipping.

Go with the asus P5KPL-CM ($54.99 with free shipping at newegg.com). It lists support for your 520/521 processor, plus all the new socket 775 core 2 duos and quad cores. Don't know if it will work with your old slow ddr2. You may have to get a 2 gig stick of pc6400 ddr2 for around $25 extra, but the speed gain is worth it. Try your old memory first.

According to specs, the memory on the 4700 is pc2-3200, 240 pin, which is an early version of ddr2. I also know from past experience that the 915g Intel chipset only uses ddr2. That's why I said he might have to change to pc6400 for the asus, which uses the g31 chipset. He may also have to do a repair of his windows installation, or backup his files and format. I work at dell part time building servers, and worked at the old building next door twice that was closed last year, where regular computer systems were built. Dells aren't designed for upgrading, but his is doable with a little work, and the 305 watt power supply is adequate for a mid range video card.

richw46

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009

Visiting newegg.com, I've seen instructions for the memory on this motherboard referencing various voltages to get the peak performance. Nowhere in my Dell 4700 setup do I have the option of changing anything on my memory. Will these options be available in the BIOS of the P5KPL-CM?

Thanks
Rich