Raid-5 Device disconnects from the system

Hello once again,

I bought an additional Raid-5 PCI Controller Card providing 4 SATA channels. I connected 4 Hard Drives and created a Raid-5. This Raid-5 was running well for the first month of using it (Computer was turned on 24/7).
However now, everytime I restart the computer or I resume from hibernate mode, the Raid-5 disk drives just "disconnects" about 2 minutes after Windows Vista started.

Here is the message from the event viewer:

Event 12: The device 'SiImage SCSI Disk Device' (SCSI\Disk&Ven_SiImage&Prod_&Rev_0000\5&6a97489&3&001000) disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal.

I already checked each HDD connected to the Raid-5 and I think they are all Okay. I checked the Sata cables and I dont see a problem there.

Any ideas what to do about it?
I already tried the latest drivers, didnt work.

- System is Windows Vista 64 Bit
- The Raid Controller and the 4 Disks show up during boot process of the computer
- The Controller is always visible in the device mananger in Windows
- The Controller is a Silicon Image Sil 3114 Raid 5 Controller
3 answers Last reply
More about raid device disconnects system
  1. What brand and model hard drives are you using in the array? Are they RAID certified?
  2. all Disks are Western Digital WD EARS 1 TB Drives. I dont think the HDDs are the problem though

- When I uninstall the Sil 3114 Raid Controller in the device manager and then scan for new hardware, it finds the Controller and the Raid-5 Disk device. However after 2 minutes it disconnects again with the same message:

Event 12 PlugPlay Manager: The device 'SiImage SCSI Disk Device' (SCSI\Disk&Ven_SiImage&Prod_&Rev_0000\5&6a97489&3&001000) disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal.
  3. Yeah, I agree it's probably not the drives... You should contact tech support for the card and if they deem it should be RMA'd.

There's a thing called TLER (Time Limited Error Recovery) that I thought might have been part of the problem. Regular HDD's have a longer time period for TLER than certified RAID drives do. If an error is encountered, the time to try to recover from that error (being less on a RAID HDD than a regular HDD) can cause a drive to drop out of an array.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives NAS / RAID Controller Devices Storage