ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 -- setting DDR400 RAM to 200MHz error

ThornMartin

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
I have 2 sticks of GSkill PC3200 RAM (Timings: 2.5-3-3-6) . I've verified both sticks work properly on other systems when running at 200 MHz.

However, when installed in the ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 and manually set to 200MHz, the system becomes extremely unstable (memtest fails, and numerous operating systems fail to boot -- at one point, the computer even failed to reach POST and I was left staring at a black screen). Additionally, if I try to use the two sticks (which are identical) in dual-channel mode, I run into the same issues.

All of my RAM settings in the BIOS (version: 2.30), other than the frequency, are set to their default values.

If I step the frequency down to 166MHz, my system is stable, but slower. Memtest and CPU-Z actually report it running at 157.2 MHz.

I've owned this motherboard for about 3 years now, and this issue only arose in recent history. Previously, I was able to use both sticks of ram in dual-channel mode at 200MHz.

My power supply is of a reputable brand (ASUS), and provides plenty of power (450W) for my setup.

I've tried playing around with the BIOS settings, but to no avail.

Below are CPU-Z images.

ThornMartin

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
In the BIOS, it's set to "Normal", which appears to be 2.5V according to the documentation that I've read. The other option, without modding the BIOS, is "High" (2.7 V).

EDIT: Just tried 200MHz with VDIMM set to High, and ran into the same issues.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

This sounds like an unfortunate motherboard problem, such as bad capacitors on the DIMM supply rail.