Shuttle SK22G2 V2 and AM3 processor compatibility?

besson3c

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
Hello,

I have a Shuttle SK22G2 V2, and I’m having a hard time finding some clear information on whether an AM3 processor should work in this AM2 motherboard? I went ahead and bought the AM3 (the Phenom II X2 550, specifically) and found that the machine would not boot. Before I exchange it I figured I ought to make sure that this is even possible? Much of the information I’ve found online suggests that an AM2 board should work with any AM3 processor, although the AM3s are not listed here:

http://global.shuttle.com/support_list03.jsp?PI=498

This may be because this model is discontinued and they haven’t bothered to keep this page up-to-date, but perhaps there is somebody here that can help provide me with a more definitive answer? Am I barking up the wrong tree, or is the CPU simply defective?

Thanks very much in advance!

besson3c

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
Sorry, typo in my post. It should say that it does *not* boot.

It is totally possible that my motherboard is not compatible, I just want to know if there is a way to tell this for certain, and if so, whether I have any options.

besson3c

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
GhislainG: I was hoping you would say that... So, the fact that this AM3 processor doesn't work could only mean that it is defective?

No. It means that your motherboard is not compatible with that CPU. You are trying to use a non-supported CPU; therefore you have 2 options:

1. Buy an AM2 CPU that' compatible with your motherboard;
2. Buy a new motherboard that officially supports your AM3 CPU.

besson3c

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
Argh.... Do you happen to know if there is anyway to upgrade the motherboard? Would AM2+ processors (i.e. are AM2 and AM2+ processors interchangeable)? How are you able to tell for certain that I'm using a non-supported CPU? Are you going off the list that Shuttle provides? Do they keep those lists up-to-date on discontinued products?

Most companies keep an accurate list of supported CPUs. I checked the BIOS updates and none is to support AM3 CPUs. I also checked what a Shuttle SK22G2 V2 is and it isn't a motherboard; it's an xpc and you can't replace the motherboard. If you want to use that AM3 CPU, then you'll have to build a new system.

besson3c

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
Thanks GhislainG!

I do see that the Brisbane 3.1 Ghz AM2 socket chip is listed as a supported processor on their page, so I'll arrange an exchange.

What threw me is several websites saying "you can use AM3 socket processors in AM2 socket motherboards" without the caveat of "if your motherboard supports this". Maybe my motherboard is really weird, but it appears that a number of reviewers are missing this important caveat. Either that or I'm simply an idiot :)

Thanks again for your guidance, it means a lot to me!

You should always check the CPU compatibility list before buying a new CPU. If you had a socket 775 motherboard, you couldn't assume that all socket 775 CPUs are compatible with it. That also applies to socket AM2 - you can't assume that because some motherboards based on a fairly recent chipset support the newest AM2 or AM3 CPUs that all other motherboards will. You're not an idiot, but I presume that you aren't in IT either.

locsphere

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009

He has three options. First yes it is possible to use an AM3 chip in an AM2 board its just that not all support it. Too be honest absolutely none of them support it when a chip comes out. This is why flashing the Bios with an updates file is so important. So check your manufacturer I use MSI and go the forums there. I currently flashed my Bios to the 1.9 version and am using an AM2 motherboard to run an AM3 chip.

So put your old cpu in if the computer works then run the flash utilty program. Most motherboard manufacturers have a download that does it right in windows. BEWARE though. If you screw up the flash you will be replacing the motherboard. No if's ands or butts. After the flash throw in the AM3 chip again. make sure that you line up the arrows properly when installing it. Then see if it boots. Take of plash screens and use pause break to see if the CPU is recoognized if it boots at all. If not upgrade the MB if it still doesn't work you have a bad CPU. Unfortunatly there is no way to tell. You could try calling the motherboard manufacturer and they can tell you whether or not you are able to do such a thing at all. MSI informed me it was possible with the latest flash and even offered to walk me through the process as not to hurt the board. MSI sucks for returns though. I returned a board and they sent it back saying it was damaged. I took pics of the entire board when I sent it which saved my butt. Good luck.