Automatic fan RPM increase as temperature increases? Possible?

lobski

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
I have the option under ATI Tray tools, but it simply does not work. I want the fan to be 70% when the GPU is 70c, 80% when it's 80c, etc.

I have a 4870x2, and I'm wondering if this is possible outside of ATI Tray Tools.

At full load, CCC isn't very "generous" at increasing the RPM. The max I get is around 3000RPM, when the GPU hits 90c. But can't the stock fan RPM on my card get about 5000RPM? Why won't CCC kick up the RPM to 5000 when my GPU hits 90c.... Is there a way to do this?

Sure it is possible :D
Try editing (at your own risk, not responsible if you brick your card) your 4870x2's BIOS with RBE.
It has a section that can set at what temp your fan will spin up and how fast to spin it.
Use GPU-Z to rip your current BIOS, modify with RBE and flash with Winflash.

rbe.jpg

I have an Asus 4870 1GB card and the fan is TO generous. It runs 50% between 40-50C and then 60% between 50-60C. Which make is icy cool but it to loud at idle. Seems I have the opposite problem. I scrapped the ATI Tray Tools and just went with RivaTuner. I OC my card through the ATI CCC. I use Rivatuner for my OSD which shows, temp, fps, and fan duty cycle. You can setup fan profiles and then trigger them at different temps. Its pretty reliable to. Just takes some setting up.