Intel Core i7 860 4x2.80GHz
ASUS P7P55D Pro
Corsair XMS3 KIT 4GB PC3-12800U DDR3-1600 CL9
Enermax MODU82+ 525W II
Asus GTX 470

I'm hesitating between two cpu coolers:
Corsair H70
Noctua NH-U12P SE2

If I understand correctly, the H70 in a push-pull configuration blows air inside the case instead of acting as an exhaust which I found a bit strange.

Which one do you think cools better ? is more silent ?

Thanks,
Tex

Well the more quiet one i'd assume would be the H70 as it is water-cooling. Also the better cooling would be the H70 as the H50 performed very well with the push-pull config, however if you were going to compare the two, I wouldn't pick the NH-U12P SE2 as the H70 is practically 30-40$ more than the NH-U12P if you wanted to compare it i'd pick the NH-D14.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018&cm_re=noctua_140-_-35-608-018-_-Product

Which actually looking at it, the H70 would actually be louder (26-36dBa) while the NH-D14 or the NH-U12P SE2 (19dBa with ULNA) So the quieter is the NH-series while the better performing but way more expensive is the H70. The NH-D14 though is quite frankly the most powerful aircooling available. So it could put a good fight.

Also based on this review for pro H70, Although it states the better performance, the CM Hyper 212+ is only 25$ vs a 110$ cooler :p Not to mention the 212+ hasn't been given great fans in dual fan config, which still would put you at a much cheaper price (the Hyper 212+ is cheaper on amazon rather than Newegg)

The H50 was only as good as top end air coolers when you put noisy fans on it. As for the H70 I have read some people saying its only as good as the H50 and others saying 10C+ improvement (which must be exaggerated) a majority said it was only a very slight improvement over the H50. I would recommend getting a high end air cooler with some high CFM fans and a speed controller so you can balance the noise & cooling how you like.

From what i've read i think it's fair to say the H70 provides better cooling then any air-cooler but that will cost you in noise the fans produce.
The H50 is quieter but is outperformed by the top air coolers.
The one bonus you have is low profile ram that won't cause any mounting issues if you decided to go with a high-end air cooler.
The best air-coolers available are the Thermalright Silver Arrow(an improved version of the Cogage Arrow) and the new HR-02 and Venomous X,Noctua NH-D14,Prolimatech Super Mega/Megahalems(discountinued)/Armageddon.
I finally found the review i've been looking for Battle of the Big Boys.
http://www.vortez.co.uk/contentteller/articles_pages/thermalright_silver_arrow_cpu_cooler_review,1.html
To answer your question the H50 is even superior to the Noctua NH-U12P SE2.
And i agree with aznshinobi a CM Hyper 212+ will do a great job it's very hard not to mention it when talking cpu coolers.

Tex-Twil

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2007
I ordered the Intel i7 and I decided I will 1st try the fan from Intel. If it's too loud I will get the Noctua.

Btw, can you confirm that the BOX version of the CPU has a stock fan included ? What about the thermal paste ?

Thanks,
Tex

Nearly all heat sinks ship out with thermal compound and whether or not fans are included is clearly stated.
As far as Noctua's are concerned they come with paste,fans,and all the necessary hardware.

Tex-Twil

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2007

I was talking about the i7 Intel CPU

There is no "Brand" on the stock heatsink for thermal paste, it's just stock thermal paste. Easy as that, all you need to know is that IC7 or MX-2/MX-3 would perform much better. Some use AS5 but those are usually aftermarket heatsinks that use that as there pre-applied compound.

Tex-Twil

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2007
ok so I have my new rig and the stock Intel fan is actually a bit loud so I will get the Noctua. Which one of the 2 Nocuas is more silent
NH-U12P SE2 ?
NH-D14 ?

Tex-Twil

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2007
ok. so I just bought the NH-U12P SE2 but I have a problem with the installation. Basically the fans are very loose and do not sit tight on the heat dissipator. I can move them like 1-2 mm away.

maflynn

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
I'm facing a similar predicament. Stick with the corsair H50 or go with a noctua nh-d14 which is due to be delivered this week.

My main concern is coolant leakage. While the risk is low, the risk is there. With the noctua nh-d14, if the fans fail, I'll will not kill all of the components like if the H50 dies (leaking liquid + electronics = :( )

Given the performance of both coolers, are nearly the same, I'm leaning towards the monster DH-14 as opposed to the small H50