Sign in with
Your question

GA-EP45-UD3R

Last response: in Motherboards
July 11, 2009 8:23:38 AM

OK, am having ths problem where sometimes the processor details dont show up in post screen.
Yesterday I found out that the processor details only show on a cold boot.
And it does not show up when I restart by: windows or press ctrl alt del during boot up.

Can some one please see if they get the same behaviour.

Info: my processor is q6600, Motherboard GA-EP45-UD3R.

What you have to do:

1. Start the computer from cold to see if the processor details come up. (they should)

2. Now boot into windows and restart from windows. Look at post screen.
Please tell me if you can see the processor details.

More about : ep45 ud3r

a c 177 V Motherboard
July 11, 2009 9:16:16 AM

I have a different 'd' series board (X48-DS5) and it behaves exactly the same: on a cold boot, the display is there just about long enough to see the CPU speed, and still the memory settings vanish before they can really be read; on a reboot, it's so quick it's just an illegible 'flash', and I'm into the Intel RAID BIOS discovery phase (and, franklly, I wish that would go by as quick!)...

Why is this a problem? I always hear complaints about booting up too slow - you're the first person who's ever thought it was too fast. I'm always working hard to keep that reboot speed up - trimming away at services, dumping items from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run, pruning my taskbar's startup folder - since Win7╬▓RC1x86, I've got my reboot time (click to click) down around seventy seconds - and it was three minutes under Vista!
July 11, 2009 10:31:54 AM

It does go too fast it just franky not there. Usually when I turn on from cold boot, the processor details, ram, hard drives etc show up and I hear the usual beep. And then it continues into windows.

However when I restart from windows or by ctrl alt del, the processor details do not show up, the rest; ram, hardrives etc DO SHOW Up. so only the processor is excluded from the post screen. Also I dont hear a beep.

I need someone to chech if this happens to them too. Please do so. If the post is too fast just press pause for me its not fast at all.
Related resources
July 11, 2009 11:22:48 AM

Can some one please test If the same thing happens PLEASE
July 11, 2009 2:00:30 PM

Come on People, Please test this.
a c 177 V Motherboard
July 11, 2009 2:22:35 PM

I repeat:
Quote:
Why is this a problem?

You've got three-quarters of a billion transistors switching states two-billion, four-hundred-thousand times per second - makes sense it would be a little quick for the eye to catch! The parameter displays are pretty much pro-forma, anyway - a holdover from earlier days...
July 11, 2009 2:35:43 PM

Its Not Fast For Me, I am trying To see if my processor is faulty. I had two motherboards Which both sometimes did not show the processor details. But now I found out that The details Always come on cold boots but not on restarts. Thats Why am asking can people test there setup to see if this behaviour is common among most motherboards or just the q6600. Is not that its so fast that i can see it. I clearly see it.

What I see when I turn on the computer from cold
Bios name logo etc
Bios version:
Main Processor:
Dual Channel Ram
Ram Test: xxxxxxx OK
Channel 0 Samsung HD642JJ
Channel 1
Channel 2 Pioneer DVD-RW
Channel 5 Maxtor
etc
A bunch of controllers including usb etc
Then it loads into windows

from restart what i see:
Bios name logo etc
Bios version
Dual Channel Ram
Ram test: xxxxxx OK
Channel 0 Samsung HD642JJ
Channel 1
Channel 2 Pioneer DVD-RW
Channel 5 Maxtor
Table of bunch of controllers including usb ahci 1349 lan etc
Then it boots into windows.

Everything is there except for a beep and processor details showing.
July 12, 2009 9:47:53 AM

Can some one please test this out to see if they encounter same behaviour.
a c 156 V Motherboard
July 12, 2009 10:04:25 AM

pcangeldust said:
Its Not Fast For Me, I am trying To see if my processor is faulty. I had two motherboards Which both sometimes did not show the processor details. But now I found out that The details Always come on cold boots but not on restarts. Thats Why am asking can people test there setup to see if this behaviour is common among most motherboards or just the q6600. Is not that its so fast that i can see it. I clearly see it.

It is not the processor. What is displayed after boot or restart is a function of the motherboard, not the CPU. My motherboards (currently 3 Gigabyte, one ECS, and one old AOpen) do the same thing.

If this is your only problem, you do not really have a problem.
July 12, 2009 11:17:50 AM

I am worried because I have been having freezes and all sorts of trouble. I had to rma lots of stuff and I have more to go. I suspected the cpu could be faulty so thats why I am making sure this thing that happens during post is normal.

Also yesterday just after fresh install of vista, the computer froze. I am sure my hard drive is failing. Cause it started making seeking noise and when it was new it was dead silent. My graphics card makes also all kinds of high pitch noises. Especially when in 3D.

Are you completely sure that no processor details show up on warm boots (restarts) ?

I can take an image of what I see if thats anyhelp.
July 12, 2009 11:28:51 AM

Normal boot up from cold.

Boot screen from a restart by windows or by using ctrl alt del.

July 12, 2009 3:43:14 PM

Can someone just please try this out and report back to me.
a c 177 V Motherboard
July 12, 2009 4:14:50 PM

Quote:
I am worried because I have been having freezes and all sorts of trouble.

Ah-ha! Finally, after twelve posts, we hear about the actual trouble!

Quote:
I had to rma lots of stuff and I have more to go

This is exactly the problem I'm always 'preaching' about - useless, unwarranted RMA's. For every working part sent back, the price of your (or - more importantly - my) next motherboard from NewEgg (or whomever) goes up a buck, and NewEgg's price from Gigabyte goes up two!

Just what order of magnitude do you think the odds of your getting two, much less "lots" of actually defective components in an order of, say, a dozen parts? Two in ten to the fourth? Two in ten to the sixth? The eighth? To have three parts bad puts you in such a far branch of quantum improbability, that your only reasonable response is to quick run out and purchase a couple of lottery ticket! Oh - and here's another really long bet - the odds of your processor being, somehow, actually defective, and 'kind of' running anyway are right up there with the odds of getting three bad parts in a dozen; defective CPUs just 'die'; the only 'real world' possibilty here is to have a CPU in a board whose BIOS doesn't support the processor stepping's micro-code - which is easily verified on Gigabyte's web-site...

There are five overall 'real-world' possibilities:

A - All your stuff came in one box, and the shipper kicked the living bejeezus out of it, or dropped it twelve feet onto a conveyor; note that this is the only 'possible in the real world' scenario for receiving a large number of actually bad pieces - it happens, but it's rare, and is usually plainly visible from the state of the exterior packing - and is time to either 'reject' the shipment at delivery, or file a claim with the shipper, so the cost is 'on their dime', not NewEgg's or Gigabyte's...

B - Someone in the shipping department at your vendor knows you personally, hates your guts, and undertook to send you a box of crap awaiting disposition in the RMA department (umm, I'm not paranoid - every one's out to get me!)...

C - By not doing sufficient (or any) 'pre-purchase' research, taking advantage of pretty much universally available user's guides, tech specs, manuals, and, more importantly, user's experiences posted on the web, you've managed to order parts which are actually incompatible with each other (and it only takes one damned moldy carrot to spoil the soup!)...

D - Through ignorance or inexperience, you have managed, in your first assembly attempt, to 'fry' one, or a number of components. Most often the prize winner here is static discharge, but, unless you're in the southern hemisphere, it's summer, when humidity typically reduces the risk of static damage to minimal levels. Runners up are misconnected (or missing) ATXx4 or x8 plugs, power supply damage, standoffs in wrong positions, shorting board traces, etc...

E - Through ignorance or inexperience, you simply don't know how to get your sundry pieces to work together; the manuals are in a pile somewhere, and you obviously don't 'get' how the internet is set up to help, i.e., post a description of your actual problems (somewheres before the thirteenth post), with a list of your actual components, and somebody will actually step up to help!

Ok - rant over! Now, if you want to post a list of your parts and your actual symptoms, I can likely find your problem yet today! If not, continue asking about your BIOS 'discovery' display, even though two people have independently verified that this is normal behavior for GB BIOS...

July 12, 2009 4:40:52 PM

old spec: xfx 680i lt sli, q6600, 2gb ocz, 8800gt, samsung f1 640gb, maxtor 30gb, arctic freezer 7 pro.
What happened: playing farcry 2, complete shutdown, restarted computer, check temps, they were high, 67 idle, reseated heat sink, could not boot into vista, saw processor details not always coming up in post screen, did clean install of vista, life went on, started getting freezes, especially logmein, random freezes on desktop, freezing whilst browsing, antivirus program not functioning, everything messed up. I did a ram test, memtest 2.11 for 5.xx hours NO ERRORS, went ahead and did rma on mobo.

Recieved new mobo: Gigabyte ga-ep45-ud3r, rest is same.
Installed all the components, fresh install of vista, ran great, discovered the bios post screen thing, found out the pattern, it only shows on cold boot, and dont show on warm boot, had hard drive problems (noisy) messed with hard drive settings, no avail, did a low-level format using estool(samsung software), did clean install of vista, installed wifi driver, computer freezes, formated the entire drive, installed ubuntu, messed with settings wen trying to install firefox 3.5, got rid of it and did clean install of vista again on the entire drive. No freezes yet, same post issue. Seeking Info wether this is a fault or is common among all motherboards(or most).

I hope you understand where am at now. I only need asurance that the processor is not faulty. So I can continue troobleshooting. :) 
a c 177 V Motherboard
July 12, 2009 6:29:17 PM

OK - I checked your processor support - it's been 'on the list' since BIOS rev F3, which had to be the lowest rev that could have 'shipped with' your board, as it's listed as the first release... The support list is here:
http://www.gigabyte.us/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_M...
the BIOS list is:

F9: Improve ITE8718 I/O chip compatibility
F8: Enhance memory compatibility
F7: Enhanced compatibilities of Dynamic Energy Saver Advanced
F6: Improve ITE8718 I/O chip compatibility
F5: Support raid HDD up to above 2000GB size
F4: Update CPU microcode(Support Pentium 4/Celeron CPU)

Note F8's description - I would upgrade if you're not at at least that rev...

the BIOS are here:
http://www.gigabyte.us/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.a...

If you need a cheat-sheet on flashing the BIOS post back... DO NOT use GB's @BIOS to update - it's kind of like asking to be shot in the foot...

If you do flash a BIOS, you need to, on the first boot, do the "Load Optimized Defaults" function; if you have never done this since you got the board - do it now... (A quick note: did you ever wonder where the hundred or so things in your BIOS that are set to 'auto' get their auto settings from? This function causes a routine in the BIOS to 'query' your hardware, make some optimistic assumptions about what it is able to discover, and calculate & set all those myriad 'autos'!; The "Load fail-safe" function runs the same routine, but forces 'pessimistic' assumptions...)

You don't list a Seagate drive, so at least you can't be suffering from the infamous "Seagate Stutter" firmware problem!

Here are some 'base level' BIOS settings to check/make...

On the "Advanced BIOS Features" page:

"CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)"
"C2/C2E State Support"
"C4/C4E State Support"
"CPU EIST Function"
all to "Disabled" - these are the CPU's 'green' features; you want these off, as it's hard to try to get any kind of basic stability when they're causing your clocks and voltages to wander all over the map...

On the "Integrated Peripherals" page (assuming you're not using RAID, and your drives are plugged into the 'yellow' (ICH) ports [and they should be - the Intel ICH SATA ports are faster, more robust, and better supported; the 'purple' ports should not be used until you are 'out of' yellow ones - they are on the jMicron ancillary controller, and have some peculiar bugs...]):

"SATA RAID/AHCI Mode" to "Disabled" (you can enble AHCI here - it requires that you install the F6[Xp]/'pre-load'[Vista and 7] driver at OS install, however)
"SATA Port0-3 Native Mode" to "Enabled" unless you're running Windows ME or earlier...
"Legacy USB storage detect" (also seen as "USB Storage Function" on later BIOS) to "Disabled"
"Onboard SATA/IDE Device" to "Disabled" (the 'purple' ports...)

On the "MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)" page:

"Robust Graphics Booster" to "Auto"
"PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)" to "100" (not 'auto')
"C.I.A.2" to "Disabled"
"Performance Enhance" to "Standard"

If I had the OCZ part number, I could give you more (and more accurate) settings for this all-important page; also, once we have her stable, I can walk you through a no-risk, easy-on-the-hardware, say 20% overclock - that board is a very stable and capacious overclocking platform!

Good luck! Any problems or questions, feel free to post back!

Bill
July 12, 2009 7:38:07 PM

Thanks for the tip already done most of it. However I need a confirmation that its normal for the processor details not to show up on a warm boot(restart).
Take a look at the picture above and you will know what i mean, also you will see that I already have updated to latest bios.
a c 177 V Motherboard
July 12, 2009 9:04:54 PM

Differing displays for cold & warm boots is entirely normal; a cold boot executes different BIOS code than a warm boot; and, as I mentioned, the chances of a malfunctioning processor doing anything at all are minute...
a b V Motherboard
July 12, 2009 10:33:01 PM

pcangeldust said:
Thanks for the tip already done most of it. However I need a confirmation that its normal for the processor details not to show up on a warm boot(restart).
Take a look at the picture above and you will know what i mean, also you will see that I already have updated to latest bios.

Of course it's normal, BIOS only detects the CPU at power-up. The "no CPU details at restart" occurs on ALL my Award Modular BIOS motherboards.
July 13, 2009 5:21:28 AM

Sometimes on warm boot, it showed up on mine, sometimes not. F9 bios. Your install could crash or bluescreen because of shitty ram, a power supply, things other than your cpu. If your CPU was busted, stuff wouldn't work at all.
a b V Motherboard
July 13, 2009 5:30:26 AM

royalcrown said:
Sometimes on warm boot, it showed up on mine, sometimes not. F9 bios. Your install could crash or bluescreen because of shitty ram, a power supply, things other than your cpu. If your CPU was busted, stuff wouldn't work at all.

When you reboot after entering BIOS GUI it redetects everything, but otherwise you shouldn't see it on a reboot.
July 13, 2009 5:36:29 AM

Crashman said:
When you reboot after entering BIOS GUI it redetects everything, but otherwise you shouldn't see it on a reboot.

Sorry crashman, it did indeed show up once on a warm boot. Do I really care, is my cpu busted ? nah. I did it so OP would quiet down.
July 13, 2009 11:10:58 AM

Crashman said:

You are right, It is only detected on a cold boot and on a bios restart. Other than that it never shows up. I dont know what royalcrown is on about. Except though when I restart with ubuntu it shows up on post. Whats the difference both are OS ?

+ I did 13 HOURS of memtest86+ 2.11 last night is it safe to say the ram is not faulty now.
July 13, 2009 1:18:28 PM

Just to make clear:
1. the processor details not showing up on warm boots is not a problem at all right?

2. Also could a faulty hard drive be causing freezes in windows?

3. Could a graphics card drive be causeing freezes?
a c 177 V Motherboard
July 13, 2009 5:10:34 PM

Quote:
Just to make clear:
1. the processor details not showing up on warm boots is not a problem at all right?

Exactly how many times do you need to be told: yes, it's perfectly normal for processor discovery and parameter display to only occur after a cold boot, and, no, it's improbable, nigh unto impossible for your CPU to be in any way 'defective', and still run at all...

I'm losing patience with this - try a peek here:
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000690.htm for a list of some possible causes...
July 13, 2009 5:15:20 PM

Thanks for your time and help.
I havent had a freeze since I installed vista yesterday. I also let memtest run overnight no issues. My hard drive has started to become louder (making seeking noises).
Also Could it be the video card thats causing the issues. Cause first time I got the issue happening I was on the 185.85 drivers, now am on the 185.50 no freezes yet. Should I update driver?
a c 177 V Motherboard
July 13, 2009 5:21:55 PM

Quote:
My hard drive has started to become louder

Try a disk defrag; or, go here:
https://www.diskeeper.com/profile/Account.aspx?a=l
and apply for a 'test drive' copy of Diskeeper - it'll keep your drive 'tidy', and speed up your application load-times for the next month...
July 13, 2009 8:00:48 PM

Everything is probably fine, some hard drives are noisier than others, unless it makes a horrible grinding noise or a LOUD, tick, and pause, and tick and your pc quits booting, don't worry.

Yes, the board skipped the cpu details on warm boot except for one time out of 4 or 5 boots, no big deal...
July 13, 2009 8:06:07 PM

I dont know, It has certainly become louder. I am abit paranoid cause one day I shaked the drive and it was making a sound like it had lose parts. My older maxtor drive doesnt make a single sound when i shake it. It is not holy *** loud but louder and its a samsung f1 (known for being dead silent) THATS WHY AM CONFUSED. it neva use to make sounds.
a c 177 V Motherboard
July 13, 2009 8:11:57 PM

Quote:
I am abit paranoid

a "bit"? A BIT!! ???
July 13, 2009 8:13:56 PM

Don't shake hardrives ! If it breaks, you just helped it !
July 13, 2009 8:18:57 PM

yeah but it will be shaked in its life. How can they create a product that cant be shaked. I dont mean extreme shaking just weak.
a c 177 V Motherboard
July 13, 2009 8:21:59 PM

Why don't we have a 'smiley' here that is a picture of one shooting one's self?
July 13, 2009 8:24:55 PM

Seriously man. Why you making these comments. They are hurtful :( 
a b V Motherboard
July 13, 2009 8:30:18 PM

bilbat said:
Quote:
My hard drive has started to become louder

Try a disk defrag; or, go here:
https://www.diskeeper.com/profile/Account.aspx?a=l

Does third pary defragging really do any better than the software included with Windows?
I used to use Norton software - since they have been defragging computers for decades - part of Norton System Works - but it seemed to me that XP's defragging software did a better job - expecially in handling the system filesm although from all appearances, I also wondered if the later Norton SW was just pigging backing on the O/S software.

a b V Motherboard
July 13, 2009 8:40:07 PM

rockyjohn said:
Does third pary defragging really do any better than the software included with Windows?
I used to use Norton software - since they have been defragging computers for decades - part of Norton System Works - but it seemed to me that XP's defragging software did a better job - expecially in handling the system filesm although from all appearances, I also wondered if the later Norton SW was just pigging backing on the O/S software.

Diskkeeper is the company that developed the defragmenter used in Windows. The pre-installed version is considered by them to be a "light" version, while the full version is a little more thorough. I did a test on it a few years ago and found some improvements, nothing huge however.
July 14, 2009 12:47:31 PM

I did defragging but the drive still makes noises. Its annoying. I did memtest 13 hours no error. I did prime95 for almost 9 hours no errors. I havent had lockups yet. But I was playing crysis warhead and I had a freeze. Not a complete freeze, I could still press ctrl alt del. So I ended the game and checked event viewer I got this error.

Faulting application Crysis.exe, version 1.1.1.687, time stamp 0x48a7e631, faulting module CrySystem.dll, version 1.1.1.687, time stamp 0x48a7e4e0, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00078d54, process id 0x16d4, application start time 0x01ca04790e1f5910.

Also my gpu was making really loud noises when in crysis More than the usual.
a b V Motherboard
July 14, 2009 5:02:08 PM

pcangeldust said:
Also my gpu was making really loud noises when in crysis More than the usual.

Maybe that was because it was running max out and its fans stepped up to 100%.
July 14, 2009 6:54:10 PM

I just got through playing Crysis on my GA-EP45-UD3R using a Q9550, 4GB of Corsair Dominator RAM, and a Sapphire Radeon HD4870 1GB card. My drives are all Seagate 500GB (or larger) SATA II. The combination worked flawlessly through the entire game on the highest settings I could set given I was not using Vista and DX10 (still lovin' XP here.)

While I don't advocate it, I've shaken a few hard drives in my time and the only ones that make noise are those that are broken. They are almost always rated to much higher G shock ratings than you can produce by shaking them (check the specs on them sometime. The G ratings are pretty high *during* operation which is amazing.) However, it should not rattle with a simple shake. If it did, I'd get the data off of it immediately and toss it. Drives are cheap. Data is not.

As for it being noisy in operation, your description sounds like indexing, virus scanning, or some other operation taking place. It can be annoying but you should use one of my old SCSI drives (a nice $1000 2GB Seagate Cheetah) that ran a thermal and positional head calibration all the time. That was way more annoying than what you are experiencing, I guarantee.

To check your drive as to what it's doing, download and install Sysinternals Filemon and run it when you are hearing the noisy operation. It will tell you what programs are reading and writing as it happens. I've used it successfully to quiet programs I did not realize were running (Windows indexing, anyone?) and you should do the same. To me it sounds like you are just super sensitive to drive noise and need to find out what's going on in the background.

Find a spare drive and try that also. Bad bits are bad bits and can crash a computer. If your drive is faulty, get rid of it now. Install Vista on a spare drive and see what happens. If you don't have a spare drive, go to your local computer store and buy the smallest cheapest drive they have and test.

In all this time since putting together my system (since December), the Radeon fan only got loud right when starting Crysis but only for about 3 seconds and it went back to idle for the rest of my session (several hours). After that it never increased in volume and the automatic fan control never ran it higher than the idle speed. If it did, it was subtle.

There's not a heck of a lot of difference between the Q6600 and Q9550 and I do not believe the CPU is an issue, nor is the motherboard or RAM (though you might consider using two sticks of 2GB for a total of 4GB since it's excruciatingly cheap to do so. If too expensive, skip lunch for a couple of weeks and pay for it from the savings.)

There may be some issues with the graphics drivers however. If you BSOD in FarCry, I'd start by troubleshooting graphics first. Make sure your drivers are up to date.

Lastly, I hope it's settled that there's no problem with your BIOS screens and the information it displays. I don't care if it happened to someone once or twice or not. The difference between a warm and cold boot BIOS screen is not a problem and your experience is not indicating a problem at all.
July 14, 2009 7:03:07 PM

pcangeldust said:
yeah but it will be shaked in its life. How can they create a product that cant be shaked. I dont mean extreme shaking just weak.

It's not that they don't make products that can't be shaken, it's just that you shouldn't do it in general. Take it out of the box, mount it in the computer and never touch it. Or put it in an external drive case and never touch it.

I don't think the assumption that a hard drive will be shaken in its life is correct. It *might* but shouldn't and you should not expect it to.
a b V Motherboard
July 17, 2009 1:43:53 AM

Good point - even the early external drive I bought pointed out that it was not a "portable" drive and was not designed to withstand the rigors of being used that way.

Just depends on the specs they are manufactured too and off course the stronger the spec the higher the price - thus most internal drives are not built to the same higher specs required for portable drives.
July 19, 2009 5:05:11 PM

Thanks for the help. I am still getting random freezes but now it is only occuring in firefox. My computer also makes high pitch noises when booting up. I dont know if it the motherboard or the cpu. I tried overclocking the cpu to 3.2ghz and when I ran intel burn test the motherboard or cpu was making sound I cant describe like electric grinding. I put it back to stock and it stopped. I feel like chucking everything out.
a b V Motherboard
July 19, 2009 5:20:38 PM

What PSU are you using? How old is it? Please list your complete system.
Did you clean out all the dust - including air vents - when installing the new mobo?
July 25, 2009 2:28:54 PM

Yes, my computer is clean, am even running the system outside the case, everything looks ok. My spec is ga-ep45-ud3r, Corsair tx 650W, q6600, 2gb ocz 800mhz, xfx 4850 512mb, samsung f1 640gb, maxtor 30gb, arctic freezer 7 pro.
When I got my new mobo I aslo got a new case. So no dust issue when installing the mobo.

a b V Motherboard
July 25, 2009 3:33:56 PM

It seems like your system has plenty of power with the Corsair 650w PSU.

Are you sure the noises you are attributing to the motherboard or cpu are not also actually coming from the harddrive or vido cards you already reported as noisy? Absent a power issue, I think it highly unlikely that you would have two abnormally noisy components at the same time let alone three, unless you have been ignoring one for awhile. When did those two noises start?

I assume you have already double checked all power connectors to ensure you have all the right ones going to the right places and that connections are tight?

Can you isolate the noise (or even part of it) to either the cpu HSF or grahics card fan (assuming you already know it is not a case fan)? If HSF I would replace the fan.

What video card do you have? Since you said that the fan on the video card is now louder than normal when running Crysis - any chance that your system - with the mobo upgrade - is now letting your video card run faster and it is just nosier because of that - but "normal" for the card? You might search for reviews or forum posts and see what they say about the sound volume of the card. If it is running abnormally loud then you might replace with quieter fan.

If your HD is still making noises, I suggest replacing it as well.

I understand only freezing issue you have now is with Firefox - please confirm. While it is not likely the problem, are you using the latest version of Firefox - it was updated no long ago - or did your freeze problem with that software start after it was updated?

Does the freezing only happen when you visit specific sites and not others? If so, can you access those sites with IE? What antivirus and firewall programs are you using? Does turning them off (for a short bit only off course) have any impact? If this and the note above does not resolve the issue - I suggest going to their website and seeing if they have any notes about possible incompatibility with any part of your system.

When you last re-installed Windows, did you do a complete or quick reformat. If the above did not clear issue and you only did a quick reformat, then I would go with the complete reformat and re-install.

July 25, 2009 4:18:55 PM

The system is running stable as far as am aware. The fans are all ok. The hard drive noise has also decreased. I got a new Graphics card aswell XFX 4850 512MB, still makes the squeel buzzing sounds during 3d load, however this seems common among highend cards. The motherboard seems ok. I dont see anything wrong with the system apart from the firefox issue. I cant be bothered to write everything up again so here is what I wrote on a different thread.

I dont know how burn markes on a cpu looks a like, But I talked to intel support and told them the back of the cpu is slightly different gradient in colour. There is spots thats a little darker then the rest but they are only on the edges. They told me this happens when you touch it or it overheats. They said dont worry about it and that its fine. Am not so sure but if a processor its faulty you would know right? It would not even boot or just shut down straightaway or something. I think the problem is with firefox cause I havent had freezes other than on firefox. strangely it does not happen on the other computer in my house. So I really dont have a clue.
Here are some people with the same problem.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/al [...] cious.html

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1277153

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=947687

When I installed firefox, I tried the websites that usally cause the freeze including amazon login process, logmein logout&login, ebuyer(Rarely). did not get a freeze, Then I installed flash and tested amazon login and I got a freeze. Also it freezed on me before TWICE on installation of firefox at this stage, http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/9523/image024a.jpg
Then someone told to try ubuntu live cd, so i did and used firefox did not get a freeze, then I installed flash in ubuntu live cd and still i did not get a freeze, then i went back to windows and still did not get a freeze, So Its Pretty Random.
I have no issues what so ever with IE8. Also the problem was the same on both vista and windows 7 RC which am using now. I am clueless how to overcome this problem.

This dude seems to have the exact same issue as me http://www.computerhope.com/forum/ [...] ic=87705.0

a b V Motherboard
July 25, 2009 7:13:16 PM

That last link you posted is to a page of theads not just one.

When you use Firefox, is your computer freezing or just hanging on pages? If just hanging then you can use other applications. If freezing it is locked up and you cannot do anything. Makes a world of difference in diagnosing problem,

Did you review my questions from earlier post about Firefox issues? - namely:

What antivirus and firewall programs are you using? Does turning them off (for a short bit only off course) have any impact? If this and the note above does not resolve the issue - I suggest going to their website and seeing if they have any notes about possible incompatibility with any part of your system.

When you last re-installed Windows, did you do a complete or quick reformat. If the above did not clear issue and you only did a quick reformat, then I would go with the complete reformat and re-install.

Also - are you aware that because IE and Firefox have different specifications, some sites will not open on both - or will open and have a tendency to load slowly or hang. However in my experience it is IE that usually hangs more. So I use both so I can switch from one to the other if one hands - then usually the other will open.

I think part of the problem is not just the HTML coding they use - but also how they work with you anti-virus software - thus the questions above. One thing you might also consider is loading your anti-virus software after the browser (if you did not) as it tries to integrate the two - each browser and its self - better than going the other way around. However I do give you one caution - I use Norton Internet Security which is hard to do a clean uninstall of - you have to go to their website and get an uninstall tool, I don't know about other AV programs. This is also another reason I suggested above doing a complete formating before reloading Windows.

Also - you don't have 2 AV programs running at once do you? And if your AV program has a firewall, what does the AV program say about turning off the Windows firewall which is active by default?
July 25, 2009 7:27:02 PM

Thanks again for responding.

The threads I posted are not me but people with similar issues as me.
I dont currently have any antivirus installed as its a fresh install and am using only windows firewall. The firefox version I was using was 3.0 and 3.5 and even 3.5.1, although there was a time where I never had these freezes and I think I was on 3.0.x.

Dont forget I also got the same freeze during the install of firefox at the same stage, http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/9523/image024a.jpg

The sites am talking about is amazon.co.uk when I login it freezes the entire computer so I cant do nothing not even ctrl atl del. even the numb locks and cap locks lights are stuck. I can only reset from the case switch. Really annoying.

When I did the clean Install, There was no option of quick or normal formats. Its the new vista type of interface. I only remember you could choose fast or normal in XP. But I doubt its that, how does that have anything to do with the firefox freezing. Is there something I dont know?
a b V Motherboard
July 25, 2009 8:19:24 PM

Maybe things I don't know too. I installed Vista on my machine but it was over a year ago and I don't remember the reformating part.

Maybe you don't need to do a full format with Vista.

Here is an interesting thread about that.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/default.aspx?icid=winv...

I would pick up on the idea in the thread and run diskcheck to make sure you don't have any bad sectors on your HD.
July 27, 2009 9:34:47 AM

rockyjohn said:
Maybe things I don't know too. I installed Vista on my machine but it was over a year ago and I don't remember the reformating part.

Maybe you don't need to do a full format with Vista.

Here is an interesting thread about that.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/default.aspx?icid=winv...

I would pick up on the idea in the thread and run diskcheck to make sure you don't have any bad sectors on your HD.

The thread is a link to microsoft site, please put on the real link.

I will try dishcheck. Thank anyways.
!