Advice/Req's for My New System build, VERY price vs. performance oriented

joshuasp75

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
So after spending a few weeks catching up on all the new hardware since my last build a couple years ago (Athlon 3200+, 1GB PC 3200, etc.) I want to go through with buying almost a completely new system. I've scoured Tom's builds and think these components will work well, but any advice as to how I can get better performance without increasing price very much (or better for less $) PLEASE let me know. Here Goes:

Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 - $120

?Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L - $100

Patriot Viper 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2-800 - $38 (after MIR)

????VIDEO CARD???

Corsair 550 W - $85 - $20MIR = $65

WD Caviar Black - $128

?Fit? Sunbeam CR-CCTF - $40 - $10MIR = $30

My real questions lie in whether or not I should go with the selected MOBO and what to do about cooling as $65 is a lot for a heatsink (how much could I overclock with stock?). Also, any vid card suggestions would be welcomed and should I go with the green WD Caviar to be eco friendly or the Black for performance. The PSU could be changed out as well, if I can get a good perf. one for less $$$.
I play comp. games occasionally, but I primarily backup files, DVD's (with CloneDVD2)and use Adobe a lot, so I want 750GB or more on my HD. Also, I will be running my new version of Vista Ultimate on it (b/c it has all the bells and whistles, like RDC). I will part out my current system and use the same case and DVD drive. ANYWHERE that you think I could save money and not sacrifice performance or even gain significant performance for less and maybe a few dollars more, PLEASE let me know. THANKS IN ADVANCE!

joshuasp75

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
So it is the Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB AGP vid card that I have (no use here). Since I only play games occasionally (but want good graphics when I do), would it be worth getting a new Radeon 4850 Card for ~$125, or possibly crossfire two other cheaper vid cards, WHAT would give me the best performance??? (preferrably spending as little as possible)
Finally, I do like to surf the web or look at PDF's while I decrypt DVD's and backup files occasionally, so anything else I should know about where this setup may be bottlenecked would be helpful to know before I buy...

Radeon 9000 Pro 128MB AGP vid card won't be usable in your new system. PCI-e cards only.

Overclocking and gaming don't especially go well with Green Caviar. Black or Blue is a better choice. 640GB Black a very good choice.

Corsair 750W is far above what you need for a single 4850 or even 4870. You might be able to get a Corsair 550VX for about the same price as a Corsair 450VX. 550VX should even handle 2x 4850s in CrossfireX.
What size/resolution monitor will you be using? Anything 22" and 1680x1050 should be OK with a single 4850. When we know your monitor size/resolution we might even suggest a HD 4830 video card. If you're a really light gamer even the HD 4670 is a possiblity. And we could step down to a less powerful PSU with the less powerful video cards too.

Sunbeam 120mm "Core Contact Freezer" CPU Cooler $40 plus $10 rebate is an excellent cooler at a great price.
You should mention what case you're using so we can estimate if the big 120mm cooler will fit.

joshuasp75

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Sorry about the Vid Card info, after doing a bit more homework I realized my mistake that my current AGP card would be useless (gonna ebay it). I've been out of the building game for a while since my last build has been stable for about 4 years and I haven't needed to update, still dont NEED to, but I wanted to learn about what was current and found I could upgrade for a few hundred. Anyway...
Here is my case:
http://www.atxcases.com/item.asp?id=498&desc=clear-acrylic-atx-case
Its a clear acrylic case measuring approx. 18.5 x 17.5 x 8 inches.

Good to hear that I won't need to shell out so much for a PSU since it seems that the main drain on a PS is the vid card. I would not say that I am a really light gamer however, I love computer and Vid games, but don't have a lot of time anymore. When I DO find time to play, I love and really appreciate good graphics. THANKS SO MUCH already for all your help WR2, anyone else care to weight in with suggestions feel free as well.
BTW, my monitor is a Optiquest Q22wb 22"er, I typically run at 1600 x 1050.

Finally, I looked at the article, and couldn't find a performance advantage to using Vista Home, I already use Ultimate, and use features that Home does not have.

joshuasp75

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Anyone else care to weigh in on this system?
I still need advice on what vid card to get, about the only thing I did not already mention is that I have a sweet 1080p LG 47" TV that I would probably hook up to the computer to run as a second monitor or even game on if possible, via HDMI? I dunno, any opinions or advice on what I've got down so far or what you would do is much appreciated!