How unbelievably annoying Re: University Installation "Upd..

Last response: in Video Games
March 1, 2005 9:08:38 PM

Just to preempt any posts that might be forthcoming on this topic...

I got University, installed it, and at the end of the installation was told
the installation needed to check the updates to ensure that my game was up
to date, or something. It found an error during the check and uninstalled
University completely immediately afterwards.

Apparently, this happens because I used the official patch. And since I
can't uninstall the patch itself, I'll have to uninstall the Sims 2
completely, reinstall, and then install University.

If you have this problem, and it seems as if you will if you installed the
patch from November, this will be what you'll have to do.

HTH,
March 1, 2005 9:08:39 PM

Heck, I just got through uninstalling Sims2, cleaning and defragging
making ready for the new EP, reinstalled
Sims 2 and then went to the site and got the latest patch!! I surely
hope I don't have to do this all over again.
What about people who have the Sims2 installed and just plan to install
University. Most have that patch.
This doesn't make sense, I'm getting confused. LOL

.....B

"Charles Whitney" <cbillingsw@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Just to preempt any posts that might be forthcoming on this topic...
>
> I got University, installed it, and at the end of the installation was
> told the installation needed to check the updates to ensure that my
> game was up to date, or something. It found an error during the check
> and uninstalled University completely immediately afterwards.
>
> Apparently, this happens because I used the official patch. And since
> I can't uninstall the patch itself, I'll have to uninstall the Sims 2
> completely, reinstall, and then install University.
>
> If you have this problem, and it seems as if you will if you installed
> the patch from November, this will be what you'll have to do.
>
> HTH,

March 1, 2005 10:47:45 PM

"Jay&B" <someplace@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> Heck, I just got through uninstalling Sims2, cleaning and defragging
> making ready for the new EP, reinstalled
> Sims 2 and then went to the site and got the latest patch!! I surely hope
> I don't have to do this all over again.
> What about people who have the Sims2 installed and just plan to install
> University. Most have that patch.
> This doesn't make sense, I'm getting confused. LOL

Not sure whether the latest patch doesn't work with the expansion, since I
got the November patch and the latest one was from January, but the
installed November patch halts the installation and the only way to get rid
of it is to reinstall. This does work, I can testify from my own
experience.

March 1, 2005 10:56:32 PM

> "Jay&B" <someplace@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> > Heck, I just got through uninstalling Sims2, cleaning and defragging
> > making ready for the new EP, reinstalled
> > Sims 2 and then went to the site and got the latest patch!! I surely
hope
> > I don't have to do this all over again.
> > What about people who have the Sims2 installed and just plan to install
> > University. Most have that patch.
> > This doesn't make sense, I'm getting confused. LOL
> >

> Not sure whether the latest patch doesn't work with the expansion, since I
> got the November patch and the latest one was from January, but the
> installed November patch halts the installation and the only way to get
rid
> of it is to reinstall. This does work, I can testify from my own
> experience.

Hmmm. I only installed the first patch (which would be from November, I
think), and it installed fine for me

I forgot to remove all the hacks, and that did cause me problems in the game
itself. It wouldn't load a lot. But once I removed all of them, it worked
fine.
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 1:41:40 AM

I believe it was the hacks you had in the game that prevented the expansion
from installing correctly. Remember how hacks always caused problems with
sims1 too and we needed to remove them before installing new expansions?
The reason it says it is reading from the programs part of your hard drive
is because that is where the engine is, so to speak.
Whatever the case, your game should be clean now after having to reinstall
everything.

"Charles Whitney" <cbillingsw@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Just to preempt any posts that might be forthcoming on this topic...
>
> I got University, installed it, and at the end of the installation was
told
> the installation needed to check the updates to ensure that my game was up
> to date, or something. It found an error during the check and uninstalled
> University completely immediately afterwards.
>
> Apparently, this happens because I used the official patch. And since I
> can't uninstall the patch itself, I'll have to uninstall the Sims 2
> completely, reinstall, and then install University.
>
> If you have this problem, and it seems as if you will if you installed the
> patch from November, this will be what you'll have to do.
>
> HTH,

March 2, 2005 3:31:41 AM

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 18:08:38 -0500, "Charles Whitney"
<cbillingsw@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I got University, installed it, and at the end of the installation was told
>the installation needed to check the updates to ensure that my game was up
>to date, or something. It found an error during the check and uninstalled
>University completely immediately afterwards.

Are you sure you don't have hacks and stuff installed?
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 3:31:42 AM

"Guardian Pegasus" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 18:08:38 -0500, "Charles Whitney"
> <cbillingsw@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>I got University, installed it, and at the end of the installation was
>>told
>>the installation needed to check the updates to ensure that my game was up
>>to date, or something. It found an error during the check and uninstalled
>>University completely immediately afterwards.
>
> Are you sure you don't have hacks and stuff installed?

I do, but that's not what's causing this problem. There's stuff in the
Program Files/EA Games/Sims2\*.* folder with which the updater has problems.

It's from the patch, not from hacks and downloads, although having gotten it
to run, I do think the phone hack from MTS2 causes problems with the phones
in the expansion. Rather than talking to the sim my sim has called, she
instead just stands there holding the phone.

March 2, 2005 4:36:21 AM

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 17:58:15 -0600, "Jay&B" <someplace@nowhere.net>
wrote:

>This doesn't make sense, I'm getting confused. LOL

It'll be a scandal if Maxis haven't even tested the game with the
latest patch...
March 2, 2005 8:58:45 AM

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 19:43:38 -0500, "Charles Whitney"
<cbillingsw@yahoo.com> wrote:

>"Guardian Pegasus" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 18:08:38 -0500, "Charles Whitney"
>> <cbillingsw@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I got University, installed it, and at the end of the installation was
>>>told
>>>the installation needed to check the updates to ensure that my game was up
>>>to date, or something. It found an error during the check and uninstalled
>>>University completely immediately afterwards.
>>
>> Are you sure you don't have hacks and stuff installed?
>
>I do, but that's not what's causing this problem. There's stuff in the
>Program Files/EA Games/Sims2\*.* folder with which the updater has problems.
>
>It's from the patch, not from hacks and downloads, although having gotten it
>to run, I do think the phone hack from MTS2 causes problems with the phones
>in the expansion. Rather than talking to the sim my sim has called, she
>instead just stands there holding the phone.

I don't have university but I have the same problem trying to install
the official patches for the original game, none of them work. I have
no downloaded stuff either.
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 11:04:01 AM

But can the hacks be installed after having done a clean re-install of Sim2
and University?

or at least, if one install hacks and they don't work, does that mean they
just don't work or do they crash the game? does anybody know yet?

University has not arrived here yet, so I am studying in advance, just to be
prepared to the worst...

Smeraldina

"Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> I believe it was the hacks you had in the game that prevented the
expansion
> from installing correctly. Remember how hacks always caused problems with
> sims1 too and we needed to remove them before installing new expansions?
> The reason it says it is reading from the programs part of your hard drive
> is because that is where the engine is, so to speak.
> Whatever the case, your game should be clean now after having to reinstall
> everything.
>
> "Charles Whitney" <cbillingsw@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Just to preempt any posts that might be forthcoming on this topic...
> >
> > I got University, installed it, and at the end of the installation was
> told
> > the installation needed to check the updates to ensure that my game was
up
> > to date, or something. It found an error during the check and
uninstalled
> > University completely immediately afterwards.
> >
> > Apparently, this happens because I used the official patch. And since I
> > can't uninstall the patch itself, I'll have to uninstall the Sims 2
> > completely, reinstall, and then install University.
> >
> > If you have this problem, and it seems as if you will if you installed
the
> > patch from November, this will be what you'll have to do.
> >
> > HTH,

March 2, 2005 11:04:02 AM

Check with modthesim2..............they know, they know everything :)

"Smeraldina" <smeraldina@despammed.com> wrote in message
> But can the hacks be installed after having done a clean re-install of
Sim2
> and University?
>
> or at least, if one install hacks and they don't work, does that mean they
> just don't work or do they crash the game? does anybody know yet?
>
> University has not arrived here yet, so I am studying in advance, just to
be
> prepared to the worst...
>
> Smeraldina
>
> "Bluegenie2" <me@fuil.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> > I believe it was the hacks you had in the game that prevented the
> expansion
> > from installing correctly. Remember how hacks always caused problems
with
> > sims1 too and we needed to remove them before installing new expansions?
> > The reason it says it is reading from the programs part of your hard
drive
> > is because that is where the engine is, so to speak.
> > Whatever the case, your game should be clean now after having to
reinstall
> > everything.
> >
> > "Charles Whitney" <cbillingsw@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > Just to preempt any posts that might be forthcoming on this topic...
> > >
> > > I got University, installed it, and at the end of the installation was
> > told
> > > the installation needed to check the updates to ensure that my game
was
> up
> > > to date, or something. It found an error during the check and
> uninstalled
> > > University completely immediately afterwards.
> > >
> > > Apparently, this happens because I used the official patch. And since
> > > can't uninstall the patch itself, I'll have to uninstall the Sims 2
> > > completely, reinstall, and then install University.
> > >
> > > If you have this problem, and it seems as if you will if you installed
> the
> > > patch from November, this will be what you'll have to do.
> > >
> > > HTH,

March 2, 2005 11:04:02 AM

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 08:04:01 GMT, "Smeraldina"
<smeraldina@despammed.com> wrote:

>But can the hacks be installed after having done a clean re-install of Sim2
>and University?
>
>or at least, if one install hacks and they don't work, does that mean they
>just don't work or do they crash the game? does anybody know yet?
>
>University has not arrived here yet, so I am studying in advance, just to be
>prepared to the worst...

If it's the same problem I had with the patches, a clean install won't
help, at least not with the European CD-versions. The patches asks you
to insert Sims 2 disks 4, then tries to load something, gives an error
message and quit. It doesn't really matter to me as I don't really
need the patches and I'm not interested in University.
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 3:29:43 PM

Suggest anybody reads EA's info before installing University.
ie "Why can't you install University if you have a third-party patch/mod
installed for The Sims 2?"

http://eagames.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/eagames.cfg/php/end...

Skeatsan''co

> Check with modthesim2..............they know, they know everything :)
>
> "Smeraldina" <smeraldina@despammed.com> wrote in message
>> But can the hacks be installed after having done a clean re-install of
> Sim2
>> and University?
>>
>> or at least, if one install hacks and they don't work, does that mean
>> they
>> just don't work or do they crash the game? does anybody know yet?
>>
>> University has not arrived here yet, so I am studying in advance, just to
> be
>> prepared to the worst...
>>
>> Smeraldina
March 2, 2005 5:08:57 PM

I installed University with the November patch for sims2 with no problem. I
had already removed all hacks however before installing.
"Jeremy Reaban" <jer@connectria.com> wrote in message

> "Charles Whitney" <cbillingsw@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Jay&B" <someplace@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>> > Heck, I just got through uninstalling Sims2, cleaning and defragging
>> > making ready for the new EP, reinstalled
>> > Sims 2 and then went to the site and got the latest patch!! I surely
> hope
>> > I don't have to do this all over again.
>> > What about people who have the Sims2 installed and just plan to install
>> > University. Most have that patch.
>> > This doesn't make sense, I'm getting confused. LOL
>> >

>> Not sure whether the latest patch doesn't work with the expansion, since
>> got the November patch and the latest one was from January, but the
>> installed November patch halts the installation and the only way to get
> rid
>> of it is to reinstall. This does work, I can testify from my own
>> experience.
>
> Hmmm. I only installed the first patch (which would be from November, I
> think), and it installed fine for me
>
> I forgot to remove all the hacks, and that did cause me problems in the
> game
> itself. It wouldn't load a lot. But once I removed all of them, it worked
> fine.

Anonymous
March 2, 2005 5:42:01 PM

"Strider" <aaaa@aaa.aa> wrote in message
> On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 08:04:01 GMT, "Smeraldina"
> <smeraldina@despammed.com> wrote:
>
>>But can the hacks be installed after having done a clean re-install of
>>Sim2
>>and University?
>>
>>or at least, if one install hacks and they don't work, does that mean they
>>just don't work or do they crash the game? does anybody know yet?
>>
>>University has not arrived here yet, so I am studying in advance, just to
>>be
>>prepared to the worst...
>
> If it's the same problem I had with the patches, a clean install won't
> help, at least not with the European CD-versions. The patches asks you
> to insert Sims 2 disks 4, then tries to load something, gives an error
> message and quit. It doesn't really matter to me as I don't really
> need the patches and I'm not interested in University.

Keep the Shift key depressed when putting in disk 4 then press the ok button
if you get that message. That might work. (stops the automatic autorun if
the drive is set to do that).

Skeatsan''co
March 2, 2005 5:42:02 PM

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 14:42:01 GMT, "Skeatsan''co"
<overthemoon@overthemoonagain.co.uk> wrote:

>"Strider" <aaaa@aaa.aa> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 08:04:01 GMT, "Smeraldina"
>> <smeraldina@despammed.com> wrote:
>>
>>>But can the hacks be installed after having done a clean re-install of
>>>Sim2
>>>and University?
>>>
>>>or at least, if one install hacks and they don't work, does that mean they
>>>just don't work or do they crash the game? does anybody know yet?
>>>
>>>University has not arrived here yet, so I am studying in advance, just to
>>>be
>>>prepared to the worst...
>>
>> If it's the same problem I had with the patches, a clean install won't
>> help, at least not with the European CD-versions. The patches asks you
>> to insert Sims 2 disks 4, then tries to load something, gives an error
>> message and quit. It doesn't really matter to me as I don't really
>> need the patches and I'm not interested in University.
>
>Keep the Shift key depressed when putting in disk 4 then press the ok button
>if you get that message. That might work. (stops the automatic autorun if
>the drive is set to do that).

Sorry for not making it clear: no, the program reads the disk fine,
it's when it's saving to the HD it goes wrong.
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 9:08:50 PM

You have to remove hacks before installing, but can I place them
back later? I need my Flamingo of Friendship!

T.
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 1:19:03 AM

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 18:08:50 +0100, "Taemon" <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote:

>You have to remove hacks before installing, but can I place them
>back later? I need my Flamingo of Friendship!

Yes, but do it one at a time... and test thoroughly.
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 10:00:34 PM

Guardian Pegasus wrote:

> <Taemon@zonnet.nl> wrote:
> > You have to remove hacks before installing, but can I
> > place them back later? I need my Flamingo of Friendship!
> Yes, but do it one at a time... and test thoroughly.

I use only the one hack, so... and I already saw it listed in the
MTS2 University-approved hacks list, yay! Thank you.

T.
!