Sign in with
Your question

1st homebuilt in 5+ years. couple questions

Last response: in Systems
February 9, 2009 4:19:21 PM

Hello,

Here are the parts I'm going to order ordered!!!.

Intel Core i7 920

ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9T-6GBNQ - Retail

CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

XFX GX285NZDFF GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

I already have a case, and will re-use my CD/DVD rom.

Ok, so here are my questions about my build.

1. Is a battery backup surge protector that's rated at 350W enough to plug my computer into?

2. I'm not planning on over-clocking for awhile (mainly a World of Warcraft box), so would the stock CPU fan be ok? Or should I buy a better CPU cooler?

3. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks everyone.
February 9, 2009 4:22:39 PM

Get the WD Caviar Black 640GB instead of the 500 you chose. The 640 is newer, bigger, faster and only $5 more.

If you are not overclocking then stock fan will be fine. You could probably swing a mild overclock with it as well. It is always easy to buy one later if you decide to OC.
February 9, 2009 4:42:36 PM

battlemarz said:
Get the WD Caviar Black 640GB instead of the 500 you chose. The 640 is newer, bigger, faster and only $5 more.

If you are not overclocking then stock fan will be fine. You could probably swing a mild overclock with it as well. It is always easy to buy one later if you decide to OC.

Easy isn't the word I would use. It is a pain to have to take out the motherboard to install a new cooler, which you will have to do for almost all good heatsinks since they come with backplates.

I would get the scythe mugen 2, its about the cheapest lga 1366 cooler that is worth buying, it cools very well. And if you get an i7, you might as well overclock it an get your money's worth out of it...it feels like a waste to me to just run an i7 at stock.

You should either get a bigger PSU or a smaller one, bigger if you plan to add another card in the future, smaller if you will only stick with one card and then you can save some money. The Corsair 650tx or 550vx will cover that system fine. If you think you will add another GTX 285 then go with a 850tx.

You don't need to buy an i7 to run WOW...is this a good use of your money? You can get a lot more for your money if you went with a Phenom II build or Q9550...
Related resources
February 9, 2009 5:15:06 PM

Cool, thanks for the info.

hehe, ya, maybe a little overkill for WOW. But at least i won't have to worry about getting a new computer for another 5 years :)  I'll also be checking out Fallout3, CoD5, and whatever else.

I figured i wouldn't over-clock because i wouldn't need the extra speed for awhile. But i see your point about the brackets. ya, it might be in my best interest to just get it over with now. So i'll check out that CPU cooler.

About the PSU, i think i'll check out the bigger one. If i find something my computer won't run, than i'd be mad if I had to buy a new power supply if I bought another video card.

Thanks much for the advice :hello: 
February 9, 2009 5:37:21 PM

You'll want to keep the PSU anywhere from 50-80% load for efficiency, so keep that in mind. For what you have now, look for something that's about twice what you're using at 90% load. My guestimates have you sitting around 350watts so 750watts is probably the sweet-spot for you especially if you want to SLI later on.
February 9, 2009 5:50:28 PM

leo2kp said:
You'll want to keep the PSU anywhere from 50-80% load for efficiency, so keep that in mind. For what you have now, look for something that's about twice what you're using at 90% load. My guestimates have you sitting around 350watts so 750watts is probably the sweet-spot for you especially if you want to SLI later on.

That is a bit much, on most PSU's the difference in efficiency is like 2-3% from 50-90% load. Look at this:
http://www.corsair.com/_images/charts/tx650w_efficiency...
http://www.corsair.com/_images/charts/vx550w_efficiency...
Just get a good quality PSU and you shouldn't have to worry about low efficiency.
February 10, 2009 12:40:52 AM

A suggestion: get a PSU from PC Power and Cooling or Corsair. They are the most often recommended. I have a PC Power and Cooling 750w.
February 13, 2009 2:58:28 PM

Welp, i ordered my parts. Hope i picked decent stuff :)  Still wondering about a surge protector. The one I have is rated at 350W. It's a battery backup do-job. My apartment is old, so the power may be.. well.. lets just say i don't want to plug it directly into the wall :) 

Should i get a new battery backup? a bigger one for my 650W psu? or is my small battery backup enough?

I'll try to post exactly what I have during my lunch hour today :) 
February 13, 2009 3:30:55 PM

Your "surge protector" is probably a UPS - uninterruptible power supply.
And you only need to size the UPS to the actual power draw of your PC and not the size of the PSU. With the GTX 285 and a possibly overclocked i7 920 you're right on the edge of the 350W UPS not being able to provide enough wattage when you're in a heavy gaming session. When you're at idle, surfing the internet or other usual home PC uses you'll be OK. So I think you're right to consider an upgrade there as well.
February 13, 2009 4:18:57 PM

Very good! That's what I needed to know.

Thanks everyone for your replies :) 
!