Optiarc AD-7240S-0B

I already installed the following:

* Processor
* Cooler
* RAM
* Video card
* PSU
* Monitor

Once I start the pc with the power button on the motherboard, the casefans start, the fan of the cooler, and the fan in the videocard. But my screen stays black. I already tried it with another monitor, and it has the same result.

On top of the motherboard, next to the ram, there is a 'phase led', which is always showing a yellow, gradient to red, color. In the manual (ftp://download.gigabyte.ru/manual/motherboard_manual_ga-ex58-ud4p_e.pdf) it says the following about the leds: "The number of lighted LEDs indicates the CPU loading. The higher the CPU loading, the more the number of lighted LEDs."

I've put the 3x2GB RAM in the right slots according to the manual (the gray slots named 1, 3 and 5). I also tried booting with 1 slot, and different RAM setups, still the same result: nothing on the screen.

When I was installing the motherboard, I did notice a pin sticking out slightly on the cpu socket. I'm quite sure I did not cause it. I pushed it back in slightly so it looked like the other pins. Could this be the problem?

b5o9ip.jpg

(I've put the cooler fan on the top of the cooler so you can see the ram, normally it's on the right hand side)

24qlro1.jpg

2l8hes6.jpg

2j623oy.jpg

315zy41.jpg

bilbat

Splendid
We seem to be accumulating a sizeable crowd of people here who are having problems with the new i7/x58 hardware. I have seen the 'boots with

one stick of ram' thing from several, a couple of 'non-discovery' of various hardware, some clocking inconsistencies - well, a pretty good

sized mess!

I have an idea, and I'm going to 'plant' this post everywhere I think it might do some good, and see if we can get together a bit of a 'real-

time' experiment; I'd like to try to see if as many as possible can get together at one, mutually convenient time, and try to whip these things

as a group. I've been studying both the Intel docs for the i7/x58, and the GB manuals; my guess is that, for all the things that count (like

QPI adjustment, 'uncore' handling, memory interface, etc.), all the GB 1366 MOBO's circuitry and BIOS are pretty much the same, so hopefully if

we come up with a workable strategy, it should be workable for all...

I'm going to start a new topic (say 'Ganging up on the i7/x58'), and, if you're interested, please copy the following, and post to that topic:

MOBO Model:
CPU:
RAM (Manufacturer, speed, model number, # of sticks, nominal voltage):
BIOS rev:
Short, concise problem definition:

Suggestions for a time (date?) when you could (I'm pretty flexible here) spend an hour or two kicking its ***! :

If there are bad components involved, we'll try to isolate them, and probably we'll learn a lot about what works, and what's marginal, for

others to draw on...

Bill

aka: bilbat