Sign in with
Your question

Arctic Freezer 64 Pro Is Too Noisy

Last response: in CPUs
May 8, 2009 5:10:10 PM

I've bought a new case for my system and after installation and powering it on my Arctic Freezer 64 Pro is way too noisy.

My motherboard is an ASRock ALiveSATA2-GLAN. Although this board supports a 4-pin CPU fan my cooler only has the 3 pins as it was purchased before they released the PWM version.

On the box for the cooler it says that the fan speed is between 300-2200RPM, however, both my bios and SpeedFan report speeds of 2500-2700RPM.

I do not know how fast the fan usually spun at but I know for sure that this is making way too much noise as previously it was pretty much silent.

The fan is pluuged in to the CPU_FAN port on my motherboard and it was also in this port prior to switching cases.
My CPU is an AMD Athlon X2 6000+ and Speedfan reports idle temps of ~32C and this definately ramps up once the CPU is put under strain.

I have gone through all of the options in the BIOS and even reset the settings to factory defaults which had no effect on the noise that the fan is making.

I am at a bit of a loss on this one as no hardware has changed whatsoever so I am uncertain on what the issue may be. It doesn't seem like a faulty CPU or motherboard as once the CPU is stressed temperatures go up accordingly.
Also I can assure that when rebuilding the system in the new case that all hardware was treated with care and nothing was banged, crashed or smashed.

My PSU is an Enermax Liberty 400 if this makes any difference.

Thanks for any help.
a b à CPUs
May 8, 2009 9:54:26 PM

Your new case might be lacking airflow so the cooler is working harder to keep your cpu temps low.

Also, are you sure it's the freezer pro and not any case fans in your new case? I always thought the freezer pro was a pretty quiet cooler but everyone has different levels of tolerance of course.
May 8, 2009 10:13:56 PM

I agree with jennyh, I have a Freezer Pro on my other rig and I can't even hear it, either you got a bad 92mm straight out of the box or you should be looking elsewhere.
Related resources
May 8, 2009 11:09:20 PM

I've been using the freezer in my old case for around 2 years now and it hasnt been a problem, I've always been happy with the noise - I could barely hear it too.

My new case is the Zalman HD160+ and granted it does not offer the same amount of chassis fans, I am currently running the system with the top of the case off and only limited hardware connected (keyboard, mouse gfx (radeon hd4550 as there is no onboard)).

The noise from the fan is there straight from a cold boot and doesnt go down, even once booted in to windows (XP+SP3) with the cool and quiet driver installed and showing my processor speed at 989mhz instead of the usual 3.0ghz.

For the time being the only other noise from my system comes from my psu which is pretty silent and my gfx has a passive cooler.
a b à CPUs
May 8, 2009 11:20:39 PM

d00ku can you use speedfan to manually alter the fan speed?
May 8, 2009 11:28:20 PM

I've tried but it doesn't alter, it just stays at 2500-2700rpm, no matter what load the cpu is under.
May 8, 2009 11:38:41 PM

I should also add that my motherboard has a header for a chassis fan - I have connected the freezer fan up to this and the bios reports speeds of 1300rpm and the idle temp of my cpu is 49C so i don't think theres a problem with the fan being able to be controlled correctly.

Its as though the motherboard sensors are screwed up or something causing the fan to run at 100% speed. The bios does report cool temperatures though and does report hotter temperatures when I load the cpu and reboot to check (I'm not sure which temp in speedfan is my cpu as I have temp01, temp02 and core).
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 9, 2009 5:11:21 PM

The only way to slow the fan with a 3 pin plug is by lowering the voltage to the fan. A 4 pin fan uses Pulse Width Modulation to do the same. Some boards will automatically do this (change voltage) in the BIOS. On my Asus board I tell it, it is a DC fan and change the performance setting to silent or the medium setting. That changes the voltage range and ramps up and down within that settings range to try to keep the CPU within a temp. range. The key is you want to come out of PWM mode and go into DC fan mode. 32 degrees at idle is indicative of the fan @ full speed. Fans can run higher than mfg specs. The spec is for a particular voltage. If your board is supplying a higher one that accounts for the higher speed . Hopefully your BIOS will have a way to do what I described. If not you will have to get 3 pin speed/voltage adapter to go in between the plug and MB this is a hit or miss method because the reduction in speed/voltage is based on the value of the resister in ohms of the adapter. I think you can get them in 3 packs low med high. Of course the 3 pin connector should be plugged in to the 3 pins for dc operation for auto control. The 4th pin is for PWM. I think all the connectors are fool proof now. Your MB manual should clarify.

PS
When you are in the bios your temps may be higher because the board has not kicked the voltage up to high yet and the fan is running slower Core Temp (CPU core temperature) is the one you should monitor.
When you connect to the chassis header your speed is 1300 indicating lower voltage and speed with temp @ 49
1900 rpm should give you 40 degrees or so.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 9, 2009 5:25:35 PM

One more note,
PWM mode keeps the fan voltage at max and rapidly pulses the fan on pin 4 for speed control. This would account max voltage and speed.
May 9, 2009 5:35:16 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Ive attached a voltage adapter that I got with one of my Noctua fans and this now has the CPU idling at 27C (core temp on speedfan) whilst having an RPM of 1600.

The reason the temp is so low is that having purchased a new gfx card last a couple of weeks ago (Radeon HD4550) I don't need 3.0ghz to decode 1080p h264 files. I have now underclocked the CPU so it has a speed of 1.8ghz and has a voltage of 1.20v. I only changed the multiplier and not the FSB.
I've never underclocked or overclocked before so am not entirely sure if this is safe, I am under the impression that undervolting the CPU wont damage it, if anything it will just cause system instability but its been running test files all day and there hasn't been any issues.

I just don't understand how my cooler fan was spinning so low and quiet before I moved it in to the new case. I could understand if I chnaged some hardware around but it was just a simple case swap.
Going by my ear, the fan which is now at 1600RPM sounds just a bit louder than it was previous to the move.

I have mailed ASRock to see if there is a more recent BIOS update as the one on their site is almost 2 years old, I'm not very hopeful of that however.
I suppose I'll just keep the voltage adapter on the fan for now and keep a close eye on it over the coming days/weeks just to make sure it is coping with the temps ok.

Thanks again.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
May 9, 2009 9:13:59 PM

I missed the boat on the simple case swap fact. Nice case by the way. I have the Zalman Pro. Tower and like it a bunch.
Checked your MB and BIOS layout. 2 fan headers cha and cpu. Quiet fan function for cpu. Quiet function would be disabled for 3 pin fan. Voltage varying from mb would be based on feedback from CPU temp sensor. This may not be supported on this header but make sure quiet fan disabled check to see what this does with voltage adapter installed.

Voltage control seems to be functioning on cha header because it dropped you fan speed to 1300. Wich means voltage is less than 12volts. 12 volts will run wide open.

At this point the voltage is being varied based on feedback from the MB temp sensor. Temp is probably much lower hence voltage lower

What is strange is 27c @ 1600 and 49c @ 1300. Does not compute. It should be relatively proportional moving air wise. Which leads me to the next point while considering case fans and cpu fan dynamic.

You have 3 fans 2 cha 1 cpu (without optional case fans installed) and two headers. Which means 1 fan or more may be directly connected to the power supply unless you are using a Y adapter.

If I were setting up this fine Zalman HT case I would start with the following.

Connect rear fans to cha header with Y adapter.

CPU fan should be firing at rear fans or rear of case for all of this to work.

Install an aditional Zalman quiet fan (zmf2 92mm) in side location which should pull air to the front of the cpu fan.

Connect both cpu fan and new fan to cpu header with Y adapter. At this point you have 2 fans operating in tandem for cpu cooling.

If voltage control does work with quiet fan disabled in BIOS the MB will vary voltage and control speed of both fans based on feedback from the cpu temp sensor.

If not Use voltage adapter from new fan if necessary to achieve desired cooling/quietness.
Connecting any fan directly to power supply will run @ max speed.

Here are links for the parts 13 bucks + shipping.

Last but not least put your cpu back to 3ghz and let it rip. Don't worry about temp so much. Max is 55c. I could not Imagine how slow Media Center or other HT apps. Would be @ 1.8ghz My Tri Core @ 2.8 is slow changing channels watching live tv. I clock @ 3.7 and it makes a huge difference.

http://www.directron.com/zmf2.html
http://www.directron.com/y3pin.html
!