Worth it to overclock phenom II x4 955?

kamikaze205

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
I originally wanted to buy a 965 but the 955 was $20 cheaper. Someone also mentioned to me that I could easily overclock the 955 to 3.4 ghz. Is there any long term side affects to this slight overclock? I plan on keeping this cpu for 4+ years so I really hope there is little to no decrease in the products lifetime. Do you guys think it's worth it to overclock the 955 to 965 speeds considering the long term side effects (if any)?

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Consider this, i had my Intel Q6600 (stock 2.4ghz) OC'd to 3.6 for over two years, 24/7 and it still runs like a champ, not to mention that it was a few years old and used before i bought it. My OC was pretty high in terms of ovverclocking

Also consider that if you are overclocking the 955 to 3.4 you may not need to even increase the voltage and if that is the case, no harm.

You will definitely be able to run @ 3.4 for over 4 years, that is, unless you have a defected CPU.

CrysisComa

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
shouldnt be a problem. most likely you will upgrade your computer before the CPU dies. iv got my 955 at a constant 3.84ghz an plan to keep it that way. besides 3.4 isnt much of an overclock.

keep in mind though you wont really notice much of a difference. with my overclock i notice at most 2-5 fps difference between that and stock. so with yours maybe 1 or 2 fps if your lucky.

the way i look at it though is its free. so basically im getting better performance and it isnt costing me a dime

With proper cooling you can get it to 3.8Ghz and use that clock on a daily basis for years to come. 3.4Ghz is nothing, even with the stock cooler. As long as you monitor your temps and you keep that CPU under 60c at load you have nothing to worry about.