Sign in with
Your question
Closed

AM2+ vs AM3 sockets

Last response: in CPUs
May 8, 2009 6:11:58 PM

Hi all!!

I'm looking at a couple of different CPUs here (all AMD Phenom II X4).

One of them is:
AM2+ socket
3.0Ghz operating frequency
3600Mhz hypertransport

and the other is
AM3 socket
2.6 Ghz. operating frequency
4000Mhz hypertransport

(note that I only listed specs that had differences)

Which one is the better one, and why? They're priced at pretty much the same, but I'm wondering if they actually are the same or if someone is trying to gouge because the socket type is AM3 on the second one. To be honest, I'm not actually sure what the difference between AM2+ and AM3 is.

Thanks in advance!

Caggles

PS: I'm considering a motherboard with socket type AM3... if I choose the first one (the AM2+ CPU) will it work with the AM3 board? Here's the link to the product page on NewEgg. The CPU type obviously fits (Phenom II is listed) but does that mean that ALL Phenom II CPUs will work with it, including AM2+ ones?

More about : am2 am3 sockets

May 8, 2009 6:56:10 PM

The first CPU you mentioned would be faster, HT speed doesn't have a very big impact on performance while clockspeed does.

The only "benefit" of AM3 is the ability to use DDR3 memory, which is typically more expensive than DDR2.

AM3 CPUs work in AM2+ mobos while AM2+ CPUs won't work in AM3 mobos.
Related resources
May 9, 2009 12:53:45 PM

Given what is out at the moment the AM3 CPU must be an 810 (4MB L3) and the AM2+ a 940 (6MB L3).
March 7, 2010 6:19:30 AM

turboflame said:
The first CPU you mentioned would be faster, HT speed doesn't have a very big impact on performance while clockspeed does.

The only "benefit" of AM3 is the ability to use DDR3 memory, which is typically more expensive than DDR2.

AM3 CPUs work in AM2+ mobos while AM2+ CPUs won't work in AM3 mobos.

so does that mean the ECS geforce 6100pm-m2(supporting am2+) will support new athlonII processors with am3 type??
March 7, 2010 9:26:46 AM

Quote:
No. It supports nothing AM3 and only a handful of AM2+ processors

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Support/CPU_Support_Mo...

so what about Biostar MCP6PB M2+,

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/content.php?S_ID=45...

the amdII x3 425 support is not given in main page(for pcb version 6.0-6.2) but its given under cpu support tab of the webpage.Also i dont know what pcb version those sellers will ship.should i buy that mobo or i go to am3 mobo with expensive ddr3 only.Please help.
a b à CPUs
November 14, 2010 2:26:30 PM

@qishengguan - Next time check the date before posting on a dead(old) thread and reviving it.
a b à CPUs
November 15, 2010 4:16:03 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
a b à CPUs
November 15, 2010 4:16:03 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!