Need help with a motherboard.

purehate

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
Hi every one :)

So this is my first post here. I have always found the info I needed and have never had to post but now I have a question. I have done a thourough search of the forum and have found a little information but not quite what I need. First to explain since I just read a thread about guys arguing about having 4 295 gtx's and whether it was possible and all that.

I currently have 3 295 gtx's in a foxcon board with a q660 cpu and a 1200 watt power supply and its all running great. Before you say anything about it not being possibel I use this box for CUDA devlopment. I run 64 bit gentoo Linux with custum drivers so I have no software issues. I am simple looking for some hardware help. I have just purchaed a 4 th 295 gtx card and a extra psu and the proper cabling to mate 2 psu together. What I am now looking for is the "perfect" mother board.

What I need is a motherboard which hs 4 pciex16 slots and will support 4 295 cards.

I was looking at the foxcon destroyer which has what I need but then I was watching a 5 or 6 part video on a guys 27 gtx folding rig and he said he tried that board and it wouldnt boot with 4 cards. Now he doesnt say how far in the boot proccess he gets so it may be a Windows Limitation and may work fine with Linux. Anyone have any experiance?

So then he says he goes for a MSI K982 Platnium which he says works. The probelm is I currently have a intel cpu and if I dont have to get a new one I dont really want to. The cpu in this box barely does any work so there is no need for anything better than a q660. Its a headless linux rack server where the gpu's do all the work.

So if anyone could recomend boards intel or AMD with 4 pciex16 slots WHICH ARE ALL 4 DOUBLE SPACED <-- very important I would be very grateful. And if any folding@home people could give some input I wopuld be very grateful.

Thanks for your time.