Gigabyte G-Power II Pro and the core i7

xadigax

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
I bought a gigabyte G-Power II Pro two days ago, I also got the Core i7 kit with it, I tried all the possible ways to install it without success, I looked over gigabyte's site but the manual describes it only for LGA775 socket, and AMD AM2.
can you help me please? I have the core i7 920 and the Intel DX58SO MB.

The i7-920 is a LGA 1366 socket CPU, and the cooler that you have listed is for LGA 775 as the manual describes. The cooler specs may be different. See what the tech guys at Gigabyte have to suggest.

xadigax

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
I've seen the manuals on Gigabyte's site, all of them are for LGA775 and AMD AM2.
but in the product description they say it supports Intel Core i7.
I got the Core i7 installation kit with the Fan, but I'm confused on how to install it.
I tried to ask gigabyte's technical guys, but they are not responding, I'm not even getting an account activation e-mail from them.

My Cooler Master V8 cooler cooler came with 2 different brackets.

One bracket was for Intel 775 as well as 1366 sockets. Only the fastening screw position changed. This was explained in the manual.

The other bracket was for AMD sockets, and I set this aside.

In your case, if you have the brackets and backplate for the 1366 socket (i7-920), then it is a matter of using the right bracket and fastening screws as suggested in the manual.

Here is what I found on Gigabyte's site - http://www.gigabyte.com/search/search.aspx?kw=g-power+ii+pro

Extract:
G-Power II Pro
Fully compatible design, supports Intel LGA1366 / 1156 / 775 & AMD K8 / AM2 CPU platforms.
Curvaceous design combines CPU and MOSFET cooling.
12cm PWM smart-fan supporting high air bandwidth.
8mm, highly heat conducting heat pipes for enhanced cooling performance.
Pure copper base with aluminum fins, extra large heat dissipation area to dispose excess heat more efficiently.
Delicate design with blue LED light.
Only compatible with 200mm (or larger) width chassis....more

You are in luck! Take the motherboard out of the case, use the appropriate brackets and backplate, and start the installation per the manual.

I am assuming that you have done cooler installations in the past.

Good luck!

xadigax

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
I looked all over in the manual.
I took out the MB and tried every possible way....
it makes no sense.
and the tech. support are not even bothering themselves to respond

xadigax

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
I looked all over in the manual.
I took out the MB and tried every possible way....
it makes no sense.
and the tech. support are not even bothering themselves to respond

"Fully compatible design, supports Intel LGA1366 / 1156 / 775 & AMD K8 / AM2 CPU platforms. "

This is what they claim in their (Gigabyte) website. LGA 1366 (for i7-920) is clearly mentioned.

One thing you can do is to walk into a computer store, such as MicroCenter, and ask the guys there about this particular situation. Many of those sales staff are computer builders and enthusiasts.