Sign in with
Your question

I did something stupid and need help

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 5, 2009 4:30:33 PM

So anyways, i recently purchased an xfx 9800 gtx+ to replace my old 7600 gs. Considering I'm am using a mATX case everything is pretty tight with the new card. While everything fit in the end, once i booted it up i received a no signal message on my monitor so i switched the cable back to the onboard graphics which worked. At tis point i began my attempts to disable the onboard and get my new card working. I was in the cmos when i happened upon the frame buffer size. Being as brilliant as I am i disabled it and now the onboard doesn't work either. The MOBO I am using is an ASUS M2NBP-VM-CSM. any help for either or both of hese poblems would be appreciated.

More about : stupid

March 5, 2009 4:42:39 PM

Reset the BIOS and your onboard should start to work again. The instructions are in the manual or you should be able to find them online for you MOBO. I am not familiar with you MOBO but there should be a place in the BIOS to disable the onboard graphics.
March 5, 2009 4:58:06 PM

And leave the frame buffer alone.
Related resources
March 5, 2009 5:05:40 PM

It seemed like a good idea at the time. In any event onboard is functional again. Now i just need the get the card working. I've been through the cmos a couple times and I have not seen a way to disabel the onboard but I'm sure there is.
a b Î Nvidia
March 5, 2009 5:27:34 PM

@ mcflyguy: Not always the case, a lot of motherboards will automatically switch the onboard off if they detect a card in the PCI-E/AGP slot. That said sometimes you might see something like `init (pci/pcie/peg/vga first` in something like `integrated peripherals` In the BIOS menus.
And make sure the card is fully seated and its powr lead/s are connected correctly.
a b Î Nvidia
March 5, 2009 5:28:59 PM

Oh, and what is your PSU? Make, Wattage and, all importaint, Amps on the +12v rail/s.
March 5, 2009 5:58:25 PM

Ultra LSP 650 pro

650 watts and 38 amps on the 12v

I had a hell of a time fitting this thing into my case.
a b Î Nvidia
March 6, 2009 11:13:52 AM

Ok, you`ve enough power, that`s ruled out, probably.
If you have made any other changes apart from the frame buffer I suggest you restore the BIOS defaults and try booting before you do anything else.
To disable the onboard graphics: Get into the BIOS and go to Advanced, then the PCIPnP submenu, open that and set the `Primary Display Adaptor` to PCI-E.
Save the changes and reboot.
March 7, 2009 3:59:52 PM

Problem solved but i would rather not go into details. Suffice it to say i am an idiot.
a b Î Nvidia
March 7, 2009 4:39:35 PM

Oh, go on...Do tell;)
March 8, 2009 5:45:50 PM

I suppose. So you know how PCI-e slots have the locking pin type dealie, well i broke mine. In conjunction with that the sata ports on my mobo lie directly beneath said port. as such the girth of my card has it resting atop the cable which ultimately pushed the card out of the slot and thus caused my issue. Now you know.
a b Î Nvidia
March 8, 2009 7:02:28 PM

My hat is off, it takes a brave man to admit a mistake, especially in print.
Just wish I could say I`ve never done anything similar.
March 9, 2009 4:21:10 AM

SOME MOBOS WHILE USING A WIDE GIRTH CARD WILL ALLOW YOU ENOUGH ROOM FOR 90 DEGREE ANGLE SATA WIRES IF YOU CAN CONFIGURE THEM THE RIGHT WAY SO AS TO ALLOW YOU TO FIT THE CARD IN WITH OUT PUTTING PRESSURE ON THE PIN SEAT OR KEEP IT FROM SEATING ITSELF
LUCKILY I DONT HAVE THIS PROBLEM MY SATA'S ARE FAR ENOUGH AWAY TO HAVE THIS PROBLEM
March 9, 2009 1:40:16 PM

SOME POSTERS WHILE USING A FORUM WILL POST IN ALL CAPS IF YOU CAN TYPE THEM THE RIGHT WAY SO AS TO ALLOW YOU TO FIT THE TEXT IN WITH OUT PUTTING PRESSURE ON THE READERS OR KEEP THEM FROM FLAMING YOU
LUCKILY I DONT HAVE THIS PROBLEM MY CAPS LOCK IS ALWAYS ON
March 15, 2009 2:02:06 AM

ROTFLMAO!!! hehe
March 15, 2009 3:32:46 AM

you can type here with caps lock on but..
you have to hold down the shift key while you type :) 
!