Sign in with
Your question
Solved

OCing/CPU Cooler Help

Last response: in Overclocking
August 20, 2010 9:28:50 PM

Okay, so, I have an Intel i7 860. I am idling at about 35-40, and when running prime95 I get max 65-75. I am looking for a good CPU cooler, one that I can OC to like 3.8-4.2 without a problem. I have no experiance with water cooling, and I'm not ready to cry if there ever is a leak, so I don't think that I am going to ever be using that, but if you think I should go water cooling, I'd be happy to take thought in your input.

I have a budget of 100 dollars, I want a good cooler for that price or under. I was looking at the Corsair Hydro Series H50, should I get that? My friend told me to get the Cooler Master V6, but I don't know, so can anyone help me out? I'll be happy to take all inputs! :D 

More about : ocing cpu cooler

August 20, 2010 9:50:52 PM

Yeah, I figured watercooling's not that cheap :p . I know H50 isn't watercooling, but I read somewhere it gives performance near it. I'd also prefer links to newegg/microcenter, but IMO it doesn't matter, I'm just wondering right now if you guys think I should just get the H50.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 20, 2010 10:24:25 PM

MutatedGamer said:
Yeah, I figured watercooling's not that cheap :p . I know H50 isn't watercooling, but I read somewhere it gives performance near it. I'd also prefer links to newegg/microcenter, but IMO it doesn't matter, I'm just wondering right now if you guys think I should just get the H50.

It's not DIY watercooling but it is a form of liquid cooling, and no, it doesn't give performance near DIY watercooling.
The H50 can be as good as or slightly better than most top end air coolers, it depends on how it's set up.
Wether you get it or not is entirely up to you.
m
l
August 20, 2010 10:30:45 PM

Okay, just one final question... H50 or Cooler Master V6? I see good reviews on both of them, but some people say the V6 is huge, and I have a small little NZXT M59, I don't think it would fit. What would you buy if you were in my situation?
m
l

Best solution

a c 120 à CPUs
a c 183 K Overclocking
August 21, 2010 10:51:21 AM

I would buy a CM Hyper 212+ you might still be able to use the side fan.It's 158.5mm tall.
Add another fan and buy some MX-2 or TX-3 paste.
The V6 will definitely not fit it's 165mm tall.
I've seen the H50 on sale quite a bit lately so it may be your best bet if you can get it for $60.
August 21, 2010 3:14:22 PM

davcon said:
I would buy a CM Hyper 212+ you might still be able to use the side fan.It's 158.5mm tall.
Add another fan and buy some MX-2 or TX-3 paste.
The V6 will definitely not fit it's 165mm tall.
I've seen the H50 on sale quite a bit lately so it may be your best bet if you can get it for $60.

WOW! Thanks, I was about to head out to bestbuy today and get my H50, I'm glad you replied before I did! I can't believe I didn't see that CM cooler anywhere, and microcenter has it for 30 bucks. I'm totally getting that, thanks :D !
m
l
August 21, 2010 3:14:28 PM

Best answer selected by MutatedGamer.
m
l
August 21, 2010 5:21:08 PM

Microcenter was sold out, anyone know a store that would have it?
m
l
August 21, 2010 10:39:15 PM

Welp, I don't have a fry's near me, and I prefer buying stuff in stores, I hate paying/waiting for shipping, I'm very inpatient. D:

However, I just bought a H50 from best buy and installed it, and my temps are amazing! Primie95 non OC I'm getting 45 MAX. I'm going to OC soon, can someone tell me anything I should be aware of/point to guide?
m
l
a c 120 à CPUs
a c 183 K Overclocking
August 22, 2010 6:18:48 AM

MutatedGamer said:
Welp, I don't have a fry's near me, and I prefer buying stuff in stores, I hate paying/waiting for shipping, I'm very inpatient. D:

However, I just bought a H50 from best buy and installed it, and my temps are amazing! Primie95 non OC I'm getting 45 MAX. I'm going to OC soon, can someone tell me anything I should be aware of/point to guide?

You really can't criticize your purchase it will cool better then the 212+.
Nice temps :) 
m
l
!