Problems with monitor recognizing DVI instead of HDMI

tonedeth

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2008
I have a Westinghouse L2410NNM monitor that I had hooked up to a 512mb 8800GTS with DVI outputs. When I used a DVI to HDMI cable my monitor recognized the input as DVI and the picture was awesome.

Flash forward to now. I put in a 285 GTX. The monitor now says that the input is an HDMI input and the picture sucks! Text is blurry and some colors look washed out. I have tried using the settings in Nvidia control panel, but it won't give me the option to change the input to DVI. I'm at a complete loss.

Can anyone help me? I'm considering contacting Nvidia about this problem as I think it has something to do with their drivers. I tried to use a hack that plugged in a registry workaround, but it didn't work.

Ignatowski

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009

both dvi and hdmi use the same digital signal ( for the most part) it sounds like when the new card was put in something isnt configured the same. color wash is fixable by using the color temp section of the nvidia control panel. your monitor may or may not have a prebuilt template to adjust the colors.

blurry text im not sure about. if the resolution and refresh rates are the same text should look the same.

tonedeth

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2008

Thanks for the reply. What's strange is that when I use a VGA connection everything looks great (albeit not as great as DVI is supposed to look). I'll try messing with the color settings, but it seems to me to be an overall driver problem since the overall look of the desktop changed completely when going from the 8800 to the 285.

Ignatowski

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009

easy way to tell if its driver.
1) upgrade the driver to latest whql from nvidia.
or
2) boot a linux live cd and see if it looks ok.