Sign in with
Your question

New Comp advice on GFX Card Upgrade. 260 was too large.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 5, 2009 9:33:08 PM

I just bought a new computer about 2 weeks ago. Here are its specs:

HP
Model: a6750y
Processor: AMD Phenom 9650 Quad-Core 2.3 GHz
Memory: 8 GB ddr2 6400
System: 64-bit
Vista Home Premium
ATI Radeon HD 3200
25" Widescreen, 1920 X 1200 Res

I love playing Games as well as watching movies. The current ATI setup is wonderful, and plays games at minimal settings. But I would like a Kick ass card for a reasonable price to complete my setup.

I purchased the EVGA GeForce 260 OC edition 898 DDR3 Card... and it wouldn't fit in my system! The card is a monster and there is no way I could get it in there, unless I got out some bolt cutters and went to town on the case.

Maybe as a top 3, what would be a great card thats smaller and would probably fit in my system? It needs to be about 1/2 an inch thinner, and could use 2-3 inches off the length. Also I love how quiet my system is, and would hate to have a card with a loud fan.

Am I asking too much? :hello: 
March 5, 2009 9:44:06 PM

I suggest you to cut you case in order to fit the GTX260.
March 5, 2009 10:02:01 PM

I Agree with Michael. I just installed one, its awesome.
Your right though its the biggest gpu ive ever seen, I might not be able to ever uninstall mine being I cant reach the release clip on the pci x16 slot.
But do whatever you can! Cut, Bend, Tie all your cords back, you cant let the GPU win!!
Related resources
March 5, 2009 11:58:43 PM

Damn,your right. Im afraid of messing something up on my comp but I want that card to work. the metal part i guess i could cut out is for expansion slots I will never use. they just somehow attack the drive harness to the case... so if i could somehow chop part of that off.. i would be great. Besides, new egg is charging me a 15% restocking fee+ i ship it back. thats a loss of like 45$ on a card that was 215$ Cant go out like that...

Edit... Went out and bought a pair of Aviation snips to cut the metal on the harness.. was near there but the sata plugs were still blocking my card from going down fully. Luckily I had 6 sata plugs, and only 1-2 were used for HD/dvd writer. sata plugs 5-6 were out of the way (barely of the card).

Thanks for the smack to not let the gpu get the best of me. Its in and working great. Tommorow though I need to get an extended sata plug for my dvd drive, because the stock wouldn't fit around the gfx card. so instead of using the disk.... im just downloading drivers from Nvidia website.

Thx guys.. cant wait to see this in action!

P.S. BTW, I havn't even bothered to try and put the side panel back on. the power plugs for the gfx card are on top. I have a super comp... that i cant even close. LOL. Whats funny is back in the day one of my comps i built would work fine, but when i put the side panel on.. it wouldn't work. So I kept it off for good luck. Im right back there again :hello: 
!