MadPluc

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Hi everyone,

I was wondering how could I safely keep all my data and one of my friend told me about RAID 5.

I currently have lots of data that I don't want to lose (feared to lose everything in last RAID 0 configuration).
Right now, I have 5 HDD in my computer (1x750, 3x500, 1x1000) and want to maximize the setup. I've ordered an Kingston SSDNow V series Gen II 128Gb (for my system and apps and games) and want to have 4 x 1Tb for everything else I keep on various HDD.

My question is, what would you suggest I do ? I'm not really good with RAID and I want to know if I can start the RAID say with 2 x 1Tb, move data on them, then remove emptied HDD, put another 1Tb, move data on them, remove emptied again and put last 1Tb ? Sorry if I'm being confusing haha I'm kinda confused myself.

Anyway, my rig is Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5, Intel core i7 920, 3x2Gb Patriot Viper (dunno if it's 12800 or 10666).
Do you need any other infos ?

Thanks a lot for pointing me the right direction :)

RAID 5 and even RAID 0 can't protect against data loss - all they can do is protect against drive failure. There are a lot of other ways to loose data, including accidental deletion, viruses, corruption, power hits, knocking over the computer, theft, etc.

seacliff is right, if it's data protection you're after then you should look into a backup strategy first. Once backups are in place, then you really only need redundant RAID if you need to avoid downtime due to a drive failure.

MadPluc

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
So if we put apart the fact I want to have data protection, I know data aren't protected unless you have a copy somewhere, can I work a RAID 5 easily ?

I have one HDD I want to put in the RAID having data on it, can I still build the RAID with 3 HDD, move stuff on it, then add the 4th disk ? Or do I need to have the 4 HDD all ready for the RAID first ? Also, if it ever happen that one disk fails, do I only shut the PC, remove the failed disk, insert a new one exactly the same, and start back the PC ?

Thanks a lot for educating me :)