My IDE BIOS is messed up! How to readjust BIOS?

nakedtons

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
My mobo is a BIOSTAR Micro NF61S Micro AM2 SE! I had two IDE devices connected to my mobo but recently one of the IDE device fail to be detected and it says "IDE Conductor Failed!" for one of the IDE device which is my DVD drive but when I unplug the one of the IDE device which is my IDE hard drive and use a SATA hard drive, the DVD drive becomes detectable again! I suspect it should be a problem with the IDE cable so I went to get a new one and the same problem arises! I had to plug in a USB external DVD drive if I choose to use my IDE hard drive which is really troublesome as I will have to borrow the USB external DVD drive from my neighbor every time! I went to consulted a technician and he refused to fix my problem as he said that it was just a simple case with a messed-up BIOS and all I had to do is to search the internet and look for clues to readjust the BIOS and it will work again! Based on that, can anyone tell me the steps to do it!

nakedtons

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
To give you a clearer picture of what I mean, here is it:
I can choose to have my IDE hard drive but I will not have my IDE DVD drive! If I choose to have the IDE DVD drive, then I will not have my IDE hard drive!

unclefester

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
You should be able to run both of them on 1 cable, as they have 2 hook ups. Just look on the back of the drives for the jumpers. Set 1 to Master (usually better to use the Harddrive as the Master) and the other to Slave or set them both to Cable Select and let the MoBo decide.

nakedtons

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
My hard drive is set to master! I'm using 1 IDE cable which had 2 hook ups! The problem is I can't get 2 of my IDE devices to work at the same time!

unclefester

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
If I remember right the Master should be the devise hooked to the very end of the cable to run correctly. And can be a real pain to configure, depending on how far apart the 2 devises are.

nakedtons

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
I don't know how is that possible as you had said my IDE devices are pretty far apart! I always connect the end of the cable to my DVD drive and then the middle hook to the IDE hard drive! Maybe that causes the problem! Although it can be difficult, but I will still give it a try by following the step you had suggested and see if it works!

Yep, thats what you'll have to do. The end connector is for master drive. You don't want to slave your hard drive to your dvd drive. The other way around. You may have to move your dvd drive down to a lower 5 1/4" bay, and your hard drive into an upper 3 1/2" bay.

If you still have problems, I would mirror the data on the IDE drive to the SATA HD. Then you'll only have your dvd drive on the IDE bus.