Should I buy AMD phemon II or Intel Core i7 920?

Status
Not open for further replies.

core i7 ownage

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
I'm unsure about both even I looked at beachmarks I never used AMD and I have a 1 computer and 1 laptop both are Intel. I support Intel but I also support Ati Radeon too. It will be used mainly for gaming, browsering, video editing and all other basic apps you would do as family.

Avantages of using AMD

Cheaper
Most bang for pound
Has support for ati graphic cards

Disavantages of using AMD

Not popular as Intel
only has a 4 cores with 4 hypertheading compared to core i7 with 4 cores and 8 hyperheading.
Less app support.

Help me to decide.

The Third Level

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
If you have the cash to build an i7 system with more than the cheapest possible components, go for it.

If not, go for the Phenom II, the only thing you'll see a difference in is video editing.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
The i7 will give you better performance in video editing, but the Phenom II will allow you to buy a better graphics solution making it better in gaming. What is your budget?

The Third Level

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
Yeah with that budget I'd rather go for a Phenom II system with good parts and a nice GPU than an i7 system with the cheapest parts possible and a mediocre GPU.

cyberkuberiah

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
the point to note here is that video editing is NOT your professional need . even if it takes a while more on amd , you will get no incentive for saving a few minutes .

go for am3/790fx , 4 gb ddr3 , phenom 955 (for the unlocked multi) , dual 4770 in crossfire , with adequate cooling for both cpu and gpu overclocking .

the price/performance is attractive with a 4770 xfire setup . also phenom 2 will not hamper your frame rates .

you dont need to spend them all , even if your budget is 1000 . go for the best price /performance , and upgrade to rosier am3 and ati gfx in the future .

tijmen007

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
Avantages of using AMD

Cheaper
Most bang for pound
Has support for ati graphic cards / No , intel supports them as well, but probaly is a tad slower with them /

Disavantages of using AMD

Not popular as Intel / popularity won't affect preformance /
only has a 4 cores with 4 hypertheading compared to core i7 with 4 cores and 8 hyperheading.
Less app support. / What do you mean with less apllications ? You want to use professional designign software or ? They're both Quadcores, every game will run on both of them.. /

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
Here is a nice chart showing the economic advantages of AMD's CPU's vs Intel's
http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/16796/14
It's actually part of a review of the Phenom II X4 955
On this chart they use a inexpensive AM2+ motherboard rather than an AM3 one but also
they use inexpensive motherboards for the Intel CPU's as well.
It would be preferable to use a AM3 motherboard for the Phenom II X4 955.

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
Before this ignorance goes on any longer, there is no software difference between AMD and Intel chips.

They both operate on the x86 assembly platform (or else windows couldn't run on both of them without a major difference in code).

All software compiled for an 80x86 architechture (as well as including ones compiled for extended 32 bit (x86-64, which AMD currently owns) should work on both chips. I can't think of a single application that would fall into an intel only program that might even interest a semi normal consumer, the kind of people who would post here for help.)

Their support for hardware is based on motherboards and should be investigated some, but it shouldn't be an issue. Just buy a different mobo.

In theory, the phenom 2 and core i7 have different market places.

If you are actually cash strapped (especially if it is around 1000 USD) then you will have to decide what your machine will predominantly be used for (Gaming versus video editing versus photo editing. Almost anything else would be just as well off with a last generation chip...) If you want to game, you will want a better graphics card, meaning you will want to spend less on the CPU, which favors an AMD chip.

If you want to video edit, you will want a respectable video card (image quality reasons) and a fast processor with as many cores as you can get basically, obviously favoring the core i7.

If you are in photo-editing market, I would imagine that the difference would be marginal, but favoring the i7. With little to no multi-core support in the applications and the main bottleneck being ram bandwidth and internal cache, I would say the i7 is probably the better chip to buy, considering DDR3 ram is cheap now and you get more cache on an intel chip. I wouldn't rule out a Q9550 for this though.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Wow... i7 does NOT own a Phenom 2. Look closer, even the 3-4 apps it pulls away in it is not by a significant amount. Your gaming will suffer greatly, stick with the Phenom 2 if you even care about gaming performance. Also overclocking will put a huge dent in the difference. My mother's Q6600 @ 3.8 Ghz (stock is slightly slower than Phenom 2 920) encodes HD video only 4 minutes slower than my i7 920 @ 4.2 Ghz. At stock the difference is around 20-30 minutes.

We have gone over this, buying an i7 system at your budget will make absolutely no sense and waste your money.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008

Yes either one looks fine according to those charts.Plus I've heard that the Core i7 920 can overclock like a beast (Some people call it the new Q6600).It looks like on some games the Phenom II X4 955 at stock is a little bit more powerful.Obviously the higher end Core i7's don't seem economical for their power.Someone who was building with those would most likely be doing it for bragging rights.It looks like the Core i7 920, the Core 2 Quad 9550 and the Phenom II X4 955 look like the best deals so far for price per performance.
The Core i7 920 is definitely worth it for a new build.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
descendency is absolutely correct, I did not think you meant that but by rereading your posts you might have.

Also as i had pointed out, when overclocked the i7 does not pull ahead too much, but with photo-editing on a professional scale the i7 will have a more pronounced lead. Remember if you do not PROFESSIONALLY edit photos or encode HD videos then the i7 is a luxury that you will suffer for in gaming.

I am not biased in this case because I own an i7 and have built a few i7 systems. I do not regret my purchase because I understood the circumstances and my budget is far greater than yours because computer building is my main hobby. Hell your budget would cover my watercooling system and that is about it, I know how ridiculous that is but I don't care because my budget is nearly unlimited since I can just save up for the parts I want anyway. Also having virtually no bills and making decent amounts of money working after school helps.

STICK WITH THE PHENOM!

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
Soldier37 has a very nice system.In fact I am kind of torn between building a Phenom II X4 955 system and a Core i7 920 system myself.Mostly I need it for Microsoft Flight Simulator X.Any advice guys for which performs better for FSX?
I don't care about other games,simulations or applications.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
kami3k chill you look like a major hypocrite now.

I'm telling you, if all you want to do is gaming then i7 is useless to you. I did not notice much of a difference at all upgrading from a dualcore with 2 4870 X2s which is one of the setups that should see the highest benefit from i7, but it really doesn't.

What soldier probably meant was that at high resolutions the difference between a Phenom 2 955 and an i7 920 is extremely slim, which is absolutely correct.

Soldier nice rig bro, a bit much on the lights but hey different tastes are not necessarily bad. Is that Phenom 2 955 watercooled? Can you post up a CPUZ shot please, not that I don't just you its that I have not seen a 955 hit 4.2 Ghz. Also what are the overclocks on that 4870? I find 4870s to be hit or miss with overclocking and have not been able to go over 800 core/1000 mem.

Status
Not open for further replies.