Windows Media Player and SD card

September 13, 2004 8:05:03 PM

I'm wondering if any of you out there can help a newbie with a frustrating
situation. I have downloaded several songs from Walmart's online music store
using WMP 10. I am now trying to sync those songs to an SD card in my IPAQ,
but consistently get an unknown error message and the files are not
transferred. Transferring the files to the IPAQ main memory itself is not a
problem. Is there something that I am doing wrong? Any guidance would be
greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Anonymous
September 14, 2004 1:54:27 PM

Which version of WMP10 do you have ? This was a problem with some of
the Beta versions but AFAICT it's fixed in the final release to market
version.

If it's any help, you can also convert the tracks and then manually
place them on your Mobile Device using windows explorer, or use a
memory card reader to stick them onto the card *much faster* ;-)

Cheers - Neil

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 16:05:03 -0700, SushQ1094
<SushQ1094@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I'm wondering if any of you out there can help a newbie with a frustrating
>situation. I have downloaded several songs from Walmart's online music store
>using WMP 10. I am now trying to sync those songs to an SD card in my IPAQ,
>but consistently get an unknown error message and the files are not
>transferred. Transferring the files to the IPAQ main memory itself is not a
>problem. Is there something that I am doing wrong? Any guidance would be
>greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Anonymous
September 14, 2004 7:05:04 PM

I have the final version of 10, I believe. I will check and make sure. You
mentioned converting the files. What do I convert them to? Sorry . . . I
warned you I was a newbie. Thanks for the response.

"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" wrote:

> Which version of WMP10 do you have ? This was a problem with some of
> the Beta versions but AFAICT it's fixed in the final release to market
> version.
>
> If it's any help, you can also convert the tracks and then manually
> place them on your Mobile Device using windows explorer, or use a
> memory card reader to stick them onto the card *much faster* ;-)
>
> Cheers - Neil
>
> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 16:05:03 -0700, SushQ1094
> <SushQ1094@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I'm wondering if any of you out there can help a newbie with a frustrating
> >situation. I have downloaded several songs from Walmart's online music store
> >using WMP 10. I am now trying to sync those songs to an SD card in my IPAQ,
> >but consistently get an unknown error message and the files are not
> >transferred. Transferring the files to the IPAQ main memory itself is not a
> >problem. Is there something that I am doing wrong? Any guidance would be
> >greatly appreciated. Thanks.

September 17, 2004 2:55:05 PM

Well,, hmm. One thing to check is to make sure you have plugged in
your iPAQ and allowed it to activesync, before you start windows
media. That should give it a better chance of detecting the device
configuration.

When I mentioned converting files I was thinking more in terms of
converting from CD ...

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 15:05:04 -0700, SushQ1094
<SushQ1094@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have the final version of 10, I believe. I will check and make sure. You
>mentioned converting the files. What do I convert them to? Sorry . . . I
>warned you I was a newbie. Thanks for the response.
>
>"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" wrote:
>
>> Which version of WMP10 do you have ? This was a problem with some of
>> the Beta versions but AFAICT it's fixed in the final release to market
>> version.
>>
>> If it's any help, you can also convert the tracks and then manually
>> place them on your Mobile Device using windows explorer, or use a
>> memory card reader to stick them onto the card *much faster* ;-)
>>
>> Cheers - Neil
>>
>> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 16:05:03 -0700, SushQ1094
>> <SushQ1094@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I'm wondering if any of you out there can help a newbie with a frustrating
>> >situation. I have downloaded several songs from Walmart's online music store
>> >using WMP 10. I am now trying to sync those songs to an SD card in my IPAQ,
>> >but consistently get an unknown error message and the files are not
>> >transferred. Transferring the files to the IPAQ main memory itself is not a
>> >problem. Is there something that I am doing wrong? Any guidance would be
>> >greatly appreciated. Thanks.

September 22, 2004 2:43:51 AM

For what it's worth, I am having the same problem. Not
much use to me if I can only download to main memory.
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 1:32:16 PM

"Chris" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<126401c4a067$23d39140$a601280a@phx.gbl>...
> For what it's worth, I am having the same problem. Not
> much use to me if I can only download to main memory.

I am having the exact same problem with music I purchased online from Napster.
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 8:56:08 PM

Do you have an iPAQ too ? Which model ?

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 22:43:51 -0700, "Chris"

>For what it's worth, I am having the same problem. Not
>much use to me if I can only download to main memory.

September 22, 2004 11:40:29 PM

Yes, I have an IPaq. Do you think the problem is
specific to Ipaq or the version of the media player on
the IPaq? My model is 2215.

Anonymous
September 23, 2004 11:54:40 AM

Maybe. You're the second person with an iPAQ who's posted this. Mostly
everybody else with PPC can see the SD card (I've got an Axim X3 and
it works fine).

This was a problem with some early WMP10 betas, but it seemed to be
fixed. I guess it's possible that not all devices respond in the same
way though.

Just to check, can you 'see' the memory card in Windows Explorer when
you browse the PPC that way ?

Cheers - Neil

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 19:40:29 -0700, "Chris"

>Yes, I have an IPaq. Do you think the problem is
>specific to Ipaq or the version of the media player on
>the IPaq? My model is 2215.

September 23, 2004 5:04:38 PM

Yes, both the CF card and the SD card are listed in
Windows Explorer.

Another interesting observation is that if I take the CF
card out of the PPC and put it in a 9-in-1 reader, I can
then sync the songs to the CF card. I still can't listen
to them on the PPC (says I need a license), but WMP
doesn't give an "unknown" error when syncing.

Anonymous
September 26, 2004 11:25:02 PM

For what its worth here as well, i have the same problem with CF and SD
(unknown error and invalid license when transferring to CF) on a Toshiba e800
running WM2003SE.

"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" wrote:

> Maybe. You're the second person with an iPAQ who's posted this. Mostly
> everybody else with PPC can see the SD card (I've got an Axim X3 and
> it works fine).
>
> This was a problem with some early WMP10 betas, but it seemed to be
> fixed. I guess it's possible that not all devices respond in the same
> way though.
>
> Just to check, can you 'see' the memory card in Windows Explorer when
> you browse the PPC that way ?
>
> Cheers - Neil
>

> On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 19:40:29 -0700, "Chris"
> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Yes, I have an IPaq. Do you think the problem is
> >specific to Ipaq or the version of the media player on
> >the IPaq? My model is 2215.

Anonymous
September 27, 2004 1:34:44 PM

OK .... the original poster had problems with syncing non-licenced
files. Do you have that problem too, or it's only an issue for DRM
licenced files ?

<< Thinks : DRM is the spawn of satan !

Cheers - Neil

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 19:25:02 -0700, TSB
<TSB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>For what its worth here as well, i have the same problem with CF and SD
>(unknown error and invalid license when transferring to CF) on a Toshiba e800
>running WM2003SE.
>
>"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" wrote:
>
>> Maybe. You're the second person with an iPAQ who's posted this. Mostly
>> everybody else with PPC can see the SD card (I've got an Axim X3 and
>> it works fine).
>>
>> This was a problem with some early WMP10 betas, but it seemed to be
>> fixed. I guess it's possible that not all devices respond in the same
>> way though.
>>
>> Just to check, can you 'see' the memory card in Windows Explorer when
>> you browse the PPC that way ?
>>
>> Cheers - Neil
>>

>> On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 19:40:29 -0700, "Chris"
>> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Yes, I have an IPaq. Do you think the problem is
>> >specific to Ipaq or the version of the media player on
>> >the IPaq? My model is 2215.

Anonymous
September 27, 2004 1:34:45 PM

My sync problems are with Licensed files bought and downloaded from Napster,
MSN and/or Walmart (I tested all 3).

"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" wrote:

> OK .... the original poster had problems with syncing non-licenced
> files. Do you have that problem too, or it's only an issue for DRM
> licenced files ?
>
> << Thinks : DRM is the spawn of satan !
>
> Cheers - Neil
>
> On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 19:25:02 -0700, TSB
> <TSB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >For what its worth here as well, i have the same problem with CF and SD
> >(unknown error and invalid license when transferring to CF) on a Toshiba e800
> >running WM2003SE.
> >
> >"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" wrote:
> >
> >> Maybe. You're the second person with an iPAQ who's posted this. Mostly
> >> everybody else with PPC can see the SD card (I've got an Axim X3 and
> >> it works fine).
> >>
> >> This was a problem with some early WMP10 betas, but it seemed to be
> >> fixed. I guess it's possible that not all devices respond in the same
> >> way though.
> >>
> >> Just to check, can you 'see' the memory card in Windows Explorer when
> >> you browse the PPC that way ?
> >>
> >> Cheers - Neil

September 29, 2004 8:51:05 PM

I finally found some info on this problem. It is a known
problem and Microsoft is being very quiet about it.

Check out http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/index.php?
topic_id=31725
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 9:29:01 PM

Finally some information!!! It is really frustrating that Microsoft allows
you to play their new encryption standards on every music player software
except their own. I guess we should steer clear of MS operating systems
once again and use 3rd party for multimedia!

"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" wrote:

> OK .... the original poster had problems with syncing non-licenced
> files. Do you have that problem too, or it's only an issue for DRM
> licenced files ?
>
> << Thinks : DRM is the spawn of satan !
>
> Cheers - Neil
>
> On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 19:25:02 -0700, TSB
> <TSB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >For what its worth here as well, i have the same problem with CF and SD
> >(unknown error and invalid license when transferring to CF) on a Toshiba e800
> >running WM2003SE.
> >
> >"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" wrote:
> >
> >> Maybe. You're the second person with an iPAQ who's posted this. Mostly
> >> everybody else with PPC can see the SD card (I've got an Axim X3 and
> >> it works fine).
> >>
> >> This was a problem with some early WMP10 betas, but it seemed to be
> >> fixed. I guess it's possible that not all devices respond in the same
> >> way though.
> >>
> >> Just to check, can you 'see' the memory card in Windows Explorer when
> >> you browse the PPC that way ?
> >>
> >> Cheers - Neil

October 11, 2004 9:49:03 PM

So basically buying music legally using it on a Microsoft platform via Media
Player it is not possible to transfer to another Microsoft product running
the same level of Media Player.

Makes you wonder why sites like Kazaa and the like are so popular or ripping
directly from CDs to MP3, at least you can drag and drop content and it just
plays.
Why should we invest in all this Microsoft technology when it simply does
not work......DRM should work for us too, we have bought the music we should
be able to play the damn music!!! I guess I now have to go burning stuff to
CD so I can then rip it and then download it to my player........but is this
legal?

Its enough to make you sell up and buy an iPOD.........

"Chris" wrote:

> I finally found some info on this problem. It is a known
> problem and Microsoft is being very quiet about it.
>
> Check out http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/index.php?
> topic_id=31725

Anonymous
February 15, 2005 1:05:05 PM

It has been several months, has a workaround or fix been found to this issue.

"Chris" wrote:

> I finally found some info on this problem. It is a known
> problem and Microsoft is being very quiet about it.
>
> Check out http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/index.php?
> topic_id=31725

Anonymous
February 15, 2005 10:10:40 PM

The 'known problem' at that URL was on the WM10 Beta, which was fixed.

Are you experiencing problems which you can describe ? The post below
seems to be missing any actual details of your problem report.

Cheers - Neil

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 10:05:05 -0800, scsppc
<scsppc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>It has been several months, has a workaround or fix been found to this issue.
>
>"Chris" wrote:
>
>> I finally found some info on this problem. It is a known
>> problem and Microsoft is being very quiet about it.
>>
>> Check out http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/index.php?
>> topic_id=31725

Anonymous
February 15, 2005 10:10:41 PM

Neil,

I run WM10 build 3802, installed the walmart plugin and purchased a song, I
then proceeded to sync the song with my HP 6315 IPAQ with WM2003. I was able
to sync to main memory successfully but I am not able to sync to the SD card,
I get "unknown error". I have tried reformating the SD card, syncing the SD
card directly on the PC, recreating the MediaPlayer partnership. All to no
avail, Thank you for any help.

"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" wrote:

> The 'known problem' at that URL was on the WM10 Beta, which was fixed.
>
> Are you experiencing problems which you can describe ? The post below
> seems to be missing any actual details of your problem report.
>
> Cheers - Neil
>
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 10:05:05 -0800, scsppc
> <scsppc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >It has been several months, has a workaround or fix been found to this issue.
> >
> >"Chris" wrote:
> >
> >> I finally found some info on this problem. It is a known
> >> problem and Microsoft is being very quiet about it.
> >>
> >> Check out http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/index.php?
> >> topic_id=31725

Anonymous
February 16, 2005 2:07:47 AM

OK so this is running the 1st edition of windows mobile according HP
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06b/215348-64...

I am wondering whether the license issued by WalMart is only going to
work with media player 10 on WM2003 2nd edition - WM9 is provided on
the 1st edition, which this device seems to have.

Do (laughs) WalMart technical support have anything to say about the
type of licence they provide for the tracks ?

If all else fails the workaround is to burn tracks to a CD (removing
the DRM) and then copy them back to the device by adding to your
library from the CD (and then syncing to the memory card)

Just so we don't go round the houses, are you able to confirm this
remains a problem when you copy the file and licence directly to the
SD card in a card reader (which in any case is usually faster ;-) ?

HTH
Cheers - Neil

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 11:51:04 -0800, scsppc
<scsppc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Neil,
>
>I run WM10 build 3802, installed the walmart plugin and purchased a song, I
>then proceeded to sync the song with my HP 6315 IPAQ with WM2003. I was able
>to sync to main memory successfully but I am not able to sync to the SD card,
>I get "unknown error". I have tried reformating the SD card, syncing the SD
>card directly on the PC, recreating the MediaPlayer partnership. All to no
>avail, Thank you for any help.
>
>"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" wrote:
>
>> The 'known problem' at that URL was on the WM10 Beta, which was fixed.
>>
>> Are you experiencing problems which you can describe ? The post below
>> seems to be missing any actual details of your problem report.
>>
>> Cheers - Neil
>>
>> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 10:05:05 -0800, scsppc
>> <scsppc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >It has been several months, has a workaround or fix been found to this issue.

Anonymous
February 16, 2005 2:07:48 AM

Neil,

I copied the DRMv1PM.lic and wma file to the SD card via activesync explore
feature. I get "The license for this file cannot be found". If Walmart was
using the wrong license version, why would it work when executing from RAM?

I also tried syncing from the PC to the SD card directly via USB. The sync
happens, the file play under XP but same error as above when I try to play it
on the PPC. When I plugged the card in the PC, I got the partnership setup
and WMPInfo.xml got created on the card, but this does not happen with the
PPC. Should it? This leads me to believe that maybe it has something to do
with the WMP partnership with the PPC and the SD card. Is there a way to
modify the partnership?

I did not contact Walmart tech support, figuring they would probably be
clueless. I also read posts that describe the same problem with MSN music.

Thanks for your help with this, I appreciate it.

"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" wrote:

> OK so this is running the 1st edition of windows mobile according HP
> http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06b/215348-64...
>
> I am wondering whether the license issued by WalMart is only going to
> work with media player 10 on WM2003 2nd edition - WM9 is provided on
> the 1st edition, which this device seems to have.
>
> Do (laughs) WalMart technical support have anything to say about the
> type of licence they provide for the tracks ?
>
> If all else fails the workaround is to burn tracks to a CD (removing
> the DRM) and then copy them back to the device by adding to your
> library from the CD (and then syncing to the memory card)
>
> Just so we don't go round the houses, are you able to confirm this
> remains a problem when you copy the file and licence directly to the
> SD card in a card reader (which in any case is usually faster ;-) ?
>
> HTH
> Cheers - Neil
>
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 11:51:04 -0800, scsppc
> <scsppc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Neil,
> >
> >I run WM10 build 3802, installed the walmart plugin and purchased a song, I
> >then proceeded to sync the song with my HP 6315 IPAQ with WM2003. I was able
> >to sync to main memory successfully but I am not able to sync to the SD card,
> >I get "unknown error". I have tried reformating the SD card, syncing the SD
> >card directly on the PC, recreating the MediaPlayer partnership. All to no
> >avail, Thank you for any help.
> >
> >"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" wrote:
> >
> >> The 'known problem' at that URL was on the WM10 Beta, which was fixed.
> >>
> >> Are you experiencing problems which you can describe ? The post below
> >> seems to be missing any actual details of your problem report.
> >>
> >> Cheers - Neil

Anonymous
February 16, 2005 2:53:06 PM

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 15:33:01 -0800, scsppc
<scsppc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Neil,
>
>I copied the DRMv1PM.lic and wma file to the SD card via activesync explore
>feature. I get "The license for this file cannot be found". If Walmart was
>using the wrong license version, why would it work when executing from RAM?

Where on the SD card did you copy it ? Does it work if you move to the
"My Documents" folder on the SD card ? If you don't have such a
folder, create one and see what happens. It's only a gues though...

The FAQ and readme have a few things to say (I was wrong about using a
card reader),

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/wi...
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/wi...
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/wi...

And it also mentions a desktop PC "security update" (DRM licence code
change) which might be worth a try here :
http://drmlicense.one.microsoft.com/Indivsite/en/indivi...

Cheers - Neil

>I also tried syncing from the PC to the SD card directly via USB. The sync
>happens, the file play under XP but same error as above when I try to play it
>on the PPC. When I plugged the card in the PC, I got the partnership setup
>and WMPInfo.xml got created on the card, but this does not happen with the
>PPC. Should it? This leads me to believe that maybe it has something to do
>with the WMP partnership with the PPC and the SD card. Is there a way to
>modify the partnership?
>
>I did not contact Walmart tech support, figuring they would probably be
>clueless. I also read posts that describe the same problem with MSN music.
>
>Thanks for your help with this, I appreciate it.
>
>"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" wrote:
>
>> OK so this is running the 1st edition of windows mobile according HP
>> http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06b/215348-64...
>>
>> I am wondering whether the license issued by WalMart is only going to
>> work with media player 10 on WM2003 2nd edition - WM9 is provided on
>> the 1st edition, which this device seems to have.
>>
>> Do (laughs) WalMart technical support have anything to say about the
>> type of licence they provide for the tracks ?
>>
>> If all else fails the workaround is to burn tracks to a CD (removing
>> the DRM) and then copy them back to the device by adding to your
>> library from the CD (and then syncing to the memory card)
>>
>> Just so we don't go round the houses, are you able to confirm this
>> remains a problem when you copy the file and licence directly to the
>> SD card in a card reader (which in any case is usually faster ;-) ?
>>
>> HTH
>> Cheers - Neil
>>
>> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 11:51:04 -0800, scsppc
>> <scsppc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Neil,
>> >
>> >I run WM10 build 3802, installed the walmart plugin and purchased a song, I
>> >then proceeded to sync the song with my HP 6315 IPAQ with WM2003. I was able
>> >to sync to main memory successfully but I am not able to sync to the SD card,
>> >I get "unknown error". I have tried reformating the SD card, syncing the SD
>> >card directly on the PC, recreating the MediaPlayer partnership. All to no
>> >avail, Thank you for any help.

Anonymous
February 16, 2005 3:25:06 PM

Neil,

Thanks for the info, it just does not work as advertised. I found this link
on the Windows side of the house which describes the same problem
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/community...

I am going to try support via our TSC coordinator and see what happens.

"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 15:33:01 -0800, scsppc
> <scsppc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Neil,
> >
> >I copied the DRMv1PM.lic and wma file to the SD card via activesync explore
> >feature. I get "The license for this file cannot be found". If Walmart was
> >using the wrong license version, why would it work when executing from RAM?
>
> Where on the SD card did you copy it ? Does it work if you move to the
> "My Documents" folder on the SD card ? If you don't have such a
> folder, create one and see what happens. It's only a gues though...
>
> The FAQ and readme have a few things to say (I was wrong about using a
> card reader),
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/wi...
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/wi...
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/wi...
>
> And it also mentions a desktop PC "security update" (DRM licence code
> change) which might be worth a try here :
> http://drmlicense.one.microsoft.com/Indivsite/en/indivi...
>
> Cheers - Neil
>
> >I also tried syncing from the PC to the SD card directly via USB. The sync
> >happens, the file play under XP but same error as above when I try to play it
> >on the PPC. When I plugged the card in the PC, I got the partnership setup
> >and WMPInfo.xml got created on the card, but this does not happen with the
> >PPC. Should it? This leads me to believe that maybe it has something to do
> >with the WMP partnership with the PPC and the SD card. Is there a way to
> >modify the partnership?
> >
> >I did not contact Walmart tech support, figuring they would probably be
> >clueless. I also read posts that describe the same problem with MSN music.
> >
> >Thanks for your help with this, I appreciate it.
> >
> >"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" wrote:
> >
> >> OK so this is running the 1st edition of windows mobile according HP
> >> http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06b/215348-64...
> >>
> >> I am wondering whether the license issued by WalMart is only going to
> >> work with media player 10 on WM2003 2nd edition - WM9 is provided on
> >> the 1st edition, which this device seems to have.
> >>
> >> Do (laughs) WalMart technical support have anything to say about the
> >> type of licence they provide for the tracks ?
> >>
> >> If all else fails the workaround is to burn tracks to a CD (removing
> >> the DRM) and then copy them back to the device by adding to your
> >> library from the CD (and then syncing to the memory card)
> >>
> >> Just so we don't go round the houses, are you able to confirm this
> >> remains a problem when you copy the file and licence directly to the
> >> SD card in a card reader (which in any case is usually faster ;-) ?
> >>
> >> HTH
> >> Cheers - Neil

Anonymous
February 18, 2005 5:59:02 AM

Hi,

I have exactly the same situation with my Orange SPV M2000.

I sync from media player 10 directly to the pocket pc as described by
microsoft.

If I sync my DRM protected music to the actual device (I have called it
SPV_M2000) I have no problem playing (the device uses media player 9.0.1).
If I sync to the Storage (the other bit set aside on the pocket pc) I get
error code 80045006.
If I sync to the Storage Card (not directly but as seen in MP10 as part of
the pocket pc) I also get 80045006.

I also cannot play DRM media on the pocket pc that has been directly synced
to the SD card although it does play on my pc.

I have noticed that the DRMv1PM.lic file gets written to the root directory
of the pocket pc. I assume this is where MP9 checks when playing on the
pocket pc. It also gets written to the root directory if I sync directly to
an SD card.
I assume that the reason I cannot read DRM music on my pocket pc that has
been written directly to an SD card is because of this. However, I do not
understand why I get the error 80045006 when trying to sync to the SD card
whilst inserted in the pocket pc. This is EXACTLY what Microsoft says to do.

Regards,

Brett

"scsppc" wrote:

> Neil,
>
> Thanks for the info, it just does not work as advertised. I found this link
> on the Windows side of the house which describes the same problem
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/community...
>
> I am going to try support via our TSC coordinator and see what happens.
>

> "Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 15:33:01 -0800, scsppc
> > <scsppc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > >Neil,
> > >
> > >I copied the DRMv1PM.lic and wma file to the SD card via activesync explore
> > >feature. I get "The license for this file cannot be found". If Walmart was
> > >using the wrong license version, why would it work when executing from RAM?
> >
> > Where on the SD card did you copy it ? Does it work if you move to the
> > "My Documents" folder on the SD card ? If you don't have such a
> > folder, create one and see what happens. It's only a gues though...
> >
> > The FAQ and readme have a few things to say (I was wrong about using a
> > card reader),
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/wi...
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/wi...
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/wi...
> >
> > And it also mentions a desktop PC "security update" (DRM licence code
> > change) which might be worth a try here :
> > http://drmlicense.one.microsoft.com/Indivsite/en/indivi...
> >
> > Cheers - Neil
> >
> > >I also tried syncing from the PC to the SD card directly via USB. The sync
> > >happens, the file play under XP but same error as above when I try to play it
> > >on the PPC. When I plugged the card in the PC, I got the partnership setup
> > >and WMPInfo.xml got created on the card, but this does not happen with the
> > >PPC. Should it? This leads me to believe that maybe it has something to do
> > >with the WMP partnership with the PPC and the SD card. Is there a way to
> > >modify the partnership?
> > >
> > >I did not contact Walmart tech support, figuring they would probably be
> > >clueless. I also read posts that describe the same problem with MSN music.
> > >
> > >Thanks for your help with this, I appreciate it.

Anonymous
February 25, 2005 1:43:27 AM

I think folks just need to understand that the DRM capabilities that are
tauted by many of the services, are only supported when using Media Player
10 on both the PC, and PPC. You have never been able to copy DRM music to
removable storage whether by AS connection or card reader. That was true of
WMP 9 and PMP 9, and is true of WMP 10 and PMP 9. I have no problem with
DRM music (Napster specifically) if I copy it to the SD card on my PPC's
with PMP 10, if I do so using the MP10 sync function. Still can't do it with
a card reader, and can't move that SD card to another PPC (MP10 or
otherwise) and have it play.

As ugly as it sounds, it keeps you from copying the files to a dozen SD
cards and giving them to all your friends. Face it. We have shown we cannot
be trusted, so steps are taken to 'encourage' us to be honest. Thank the few
(or possibly many) who have made this neccessary.

My recommendation? Buy it, Burn it, Rip it, Copy it where and how you like,
and get on with your listening.

"Brett" <Brett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have exactly the same situation with my Orange SPV M2000.
>
> I sync from media player 10 directly to the pocket pc as described by
> microsoft.
>
> If I sync my DRM protected music to the actual device (I have called it
> SPV_M2000) I have no problem playing (the device uses media player 9.0.1).
> If I sync to the Storage (the other bit set aside on the pocket pc) I get
> error code 80045006.
> If I sync to the Storage Card (not directly but as seen in MP10 as part of
> the pocket pc) I also get 80045006.
>
> I also cannot play DRM media on the pocket pc that has been directly
> synced
> to the SD card although it does play on my pc.
>
> I have noticed that the DRMv1PM.lic file gets written to the root
> directory
> of the pocket pc. I assume this is where MP9 checks when playing on the
> pocket pc. It also gets written to the root directory if I sync directly
> an SD card.
> I assume that the reason I cannot read DRM music on my pocket pc that has
> been written directly to an SD card is because of this. However, I do not
> understand why I get the error 80045006 when trying to sync to the SD card
> whilst inserted in the pocket pc. This is EXACTLY what Microsoft says to
> do.
>
> Regards,
>
> Brett
>

> "scsppc" wrote:
>
>> Neil,
>>
>> Thanks for the info, it just does not work as advertised. I found this
>> link
>> on the Windows side of the house which describes the same problem
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/community...
>>
>> I am going to try support via our TSC coordinator and see what happens.
>>

>> "Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" wrote:

>> > Where on the SD card did you copy it ? Does it work if you move to the
>> > "My Documents" folder on the SD card ? If you don't have such a
>> > folder, create one and see what happens. It's only a gues though...
>> >
>> > The FAQ and readme have a few things to say (I was wrong about using a
>> > card reader),
>> >
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/wi...
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/wi...
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/wi...
>> >
>> > And it also mentions a desktop PC "security update" (DRM licence code
>> > change) which might be worth a try here :
>> > http://drmlicense.one.microsoft.com/Indivsite/en/indivi...
>> >
>> > Cheers - Neil

Anonymous
February 25, 2005 9:15:13 PM

Anyway it will not help you to convert it to usual MP3 and give that MP3 to
everybody.
All that can be played can be copyed, very easy.

?

!