Two Computers, Two Networks, Opposite sides of the city, How do you join the tog

aburke20000

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Pretty much I have 29 1TB hard Drives via 7 Usb ports in my apartment. I want to set up my network, so my brother can use my files, music, and so he can use my printer, which is connected to the network.

Now I wont accept that it can only be done via p2p. The internet is one big network, plus what i want to do is exactly what p2p does only using software and on a much broader base.
I know it can be done, who is the genius out there who knows how?

Solution
Both locations would need an established connection to the internet, obviously. :)

At first glance he could FTP to connec to the music.. but then you said you wanted him to have access to your network printer.

Soooooo what is one to do? How does he establish a connection to your network. Why one would want to print to your printer from across the city is unknown to me but.. ;)

It could be as simple as port forwarding. Forward the TCP/UDP Port on the router to the printer. Offhand I couldn't tell you the port but you can look it up. He would then want to add your printer using your external IP address from your ISP. When adding the printer via the port, it'll forward it to the printer. Not sure if that will really work effectively...

riser

Illustrious
Both locations would need an established connection to the internet, obviously. :)

At first glance he could FTP to connec to the music.. but then you said you wanted him to have access to your network printer.

Soooooo what is one to do? How does he establish a connection to your network. Why one would want to print to your printer from across the city is unknown to me but.. ;)

It could be as simple as port forwarding. Forward the TCP/UDP Port on the router to the printer. Offhand I couldn't tell you the port but you can look it up. He would then want to add your printer using your external IP address from your ISP. When adding the printer via the port, it'll forward it to the printer. Not sure if that will really work effectively though.

As far as access to your music files, FTP would be the way to go. Set up on your end and FTP server (bulletproof is a free download for a client) or you can look at using IIS which is built into Windows. Internet Information Systems. You could download a free web server/ftp server as well.

Hopefully you have enough IT knowledge to know what you're doing, otherwise you're in for a long project and headaches.

Solution

aburke20000

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
I appreciate your advice, and your answer is great. But what I am looking for is the ability to completely allow my brother to connect to my network remotely.

I have found the solution for anyone interested. You need to set up a PPTP.

Thank you for your time.

riser

Illustrious
PPTP is a VPN service. It didn't work well, or work well any times I've seen it set up. On a pricier note you can use Linksys's SOHO VPN configuration. One would be the Concentrator the other the VPN End Point. These would maintain a static connection as long the internet connection is static.

I haven't touched PPTP in about 6-7 years but let me know if you're able to get it setup and functioning properly. I'd be curious to see how it is working today.