Sign in with
Your question

How to move subfolders files into 1 folder?

Last response: in Windows 7
September 16, 2011 2:36:42 AM

Hello. So here's the situation. I got a folder that has 300 subfolders. Each one got music files such as 01.mp3, 02.mp3 and so on. I want them all in one folder though. I'd use Windows search for this (and drag them from search window to folders), but the thing is, if I do so the files's order is going to get messed up, because the content of almost each folder has similar named files so it's going to ask if i want to keep both files when i try to move them. I select yes and they will be messed up. If I rename them all straight from Windows search first before dragging them into the new folder, it wont work either, because it's not going to autorename them all like this "example (1).mp3, example (2).mp3 etc". Instead it will rename them inside their folders they are currently in so again i get 300+ duplicate files because each folder still contains example (1).mp3 and example (2).mp3.

I've ran into this same problem many times and usually just wasted my time by manually moving them or moved them with Windows search and try not to be bothered that they are not arranged.
a b $ Windows 7
September 16, 2011 6:04:47 AM

How were these filess created and why did they not get more meaningful names? I can appreciate it will be a big operation but I see no alternative to renaming each file inturn with a name which reflects the content. If Windows Media Player or iTunes listed them, you may find they already have better alternative names.

m
l
September 16, 2011 12:31:05 PM

They are really old CD-music files. I converted my old CD's into music files for the computer, so they don't have names, but that isn't the point here really, cause i know i will run into this problem again and would like to find or ask you guys if you know any solution for this.
m
l
Related resources
a c 228 $ Windows 7
September 16, 2011 1:19:59 PM

Unless you know how to write programs, I don't see of any way of doing this other than manually.

In the future you might want to give those files better names. How do you know what 105.mp3 is? It doesn't sound like a very efficient way to store a library of files.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 16, 2011 1:39:11 PM

Hendoz said:
Hello. So here's the situation. I got a folder that has 300 subfolders. Each one got music files such as 01.mp3, 02.mp3 and so on. I want them all in one folder though. I'd use Windows search for this (and drag them from search window to folders), but the thing is, if I do so the files's order is going to get messed up, because the content of almost each folder has similar named files so it's going to ask if i want to keep both files when i try to move them. I select yes and they will be messed up. If I rename them all straight from Windows search first before dragging them into the new folder, it wont work either, because it's not going to autorename them all like this "example (1).mp3, example (2).mp3 etc". Instead it will rename them inside their folders they are currently in so again i get 300+ duplicate files because each folder still contains example (1).mp3 and example (2).mp3.

I've ran into this same problem many times and usually just wasted my time by manually moving them or moved them with Windows search and try not to be bothered that they are not arranged.

As saga lout pointed, use itunes and scan it for music files and it will possibly find their names or just some. It was the bad way to start to sort them like that.

BTW, can u re-rip them? With names. It would be great success for u.
m
l
!