Sign in with
Your question

Core i7 & Q6600

Last response: in CPUs
May 9, 2009 6:24:10 PM

Hello there,

Two weeks ago i upgraded from q 6600 ( 3.3g) to core i7 920 ( 3.78g). Core i7 920 at stock speed runs faster than q 6600 at 3.3g.

Benchmark results are very pleasing. But, i see little performance gain in windows loading between these two rigs. It takes the same amount of time to load applications such as word, cs4, nero and visual studio.

Do i reach to the limit? Windows and application cann't give any more performance gains. If benchmark results hold true, i should gain nearly twice the speed of q 6600. In reality, it is not. I can feel the difference , but performance difference is very small.

How do i improve the speed? I am thinking going to RAID 0 setup, but a lot of reviews confirm that RAID 0 is not really helpful. What am is supposed to do? I obviously want more speed from core i7 setup after i spent about 550 $ for upgrades.

I do not game a lot, but i want to improve application loading time. What can i do? Please let me know. My rig specs are as follows:

Previous Q 6600 rig

@ 3.3 G
8 gb ram
4850 gpu
seagte 1 TB hd

Current Core i7 920 rig

@3.78 ( turbo on, HT off)
6gb ram
4870 1 gb gpu
seagate 1.5 tb hd

The system is stable and it never exceeds 71 after 7 hours of prime testing.

I want to reduce loading time. What should i do?

Thanks.

More about : core q6600

May 9, 2009 6:49:23 PM

For load times HDD is holding back. RAID 0 will help a bit but not much since it is not continious read when loading but a lot of acceses and small reads from lot of files. SSD' s will help with acces times alot. Best RAID 0 with SSD's 4x OCZ Vertex 2 SSD's in RIAD 0 will get You flying. But that is a lot of money.
May 9, 2009 7:02:12 PM

ainarssems said:
For load times HDD is holding back. RAID 0 will help a bit but not much since it is not continious read when loading but a lot of acceses and small reads from lot of files. SSD' s will help with acces times alot. Best RAID 0 with SSD's 4x OCZ Vertex 2 SSD's in RIAD 0 will get You flying. But that is a lot of money.

Thank you for your thoughts. I like SSD drives, but they are very expensive. What do you think of 10000 RPM and 15000 RPM drive? They are expensive too. Do you know a review of these bad boys ( ssd vs 10000 or 15000 rpm drive)?

Do you think i can not gain any more performance unless i replace the slow hd with fast raid 0 setup ? What else can i do? i have plan to add another 6 gb of ram as i host a lot of vm on my machine. Any thoughts?
Related resources
May 9, 2009 7:55:55 PM

I have the Velocoraptor and I love it.
May 9, 2009 7:56:17 PM

why have you got HT off? unless it got you another 200mhz it isn't worth it.

also SSD's are worth it now over 15k drives as you get 100MB/s read more with a good SSD over a 15k, 10k drives are pretty much equal to caviar blacks so little point in them.
May 9, 2009 8:48:59 PM

get 2 WD 640gb hdds and RAID 0 them. They are very fast and fairly priced.
a b à CPUs
May 9, 2009 10:39:40 PM

2 x 30G ocz vertex drives raid 0 will open your apps as soon as you click on them. Install OS and apps on them, everything else on the big drive. IF you wqant inastant apps you need raid 0 SSDs and the OCZ are the best bang for $$$. 2 vertex will get you 550MB/s reads. Use HDtune to see what you get now.
May 10, 2009 12:34:00 AM

You could get velociraptors from Western Digital, they are the HDD that can get as close to SSD's as possible with a low price than SSD's.

Sometimes, there are physical limits to what you can get. Seriously, be happy for the load times we have now, than the load times we had in the late 90's. Just be patient, both in load tims and in technology advancements.
May 10, 2009 12:43:25 AM

Well I'm not a rich guy (actually just a lame farty student :na: ) so I simply stroked my hdd to make the system partition outside. No money wasted :)  using a good ol' WD Caviar Blue SE16 640gb.

IMHO that was a good $550 wasted... about how much I bought my entire computer for. If you needed performance that badly, you could spend another half grand on an Intel SSD :D  hopefully return your i7 upgrades for full refund or something lol or keep it. It's just that Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge are coming in a year or two, i7 will probably have a short life. Up to you to decide dunno why I just suggested returning an i7 lol kinda stupid but w/e too lazy to delete it now.
May 10, 2009 2:23:40 AM

Yeah... I hear i5's will come out late this year, comes with more integrated controllers... different socket though. like 15XX not 1366 like i7's...
!