Is my Hard Drive failing?

MinusX

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2010
Hello,

I recently went on vacation for about a week and left my PC off the day I left. When I returned, I turned my PC on and it appeared to work fine, but at the Windows 7 login screen, my PC restarted itself and I got this message (Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device). I then plugged my PC from the outlet then back and it work fine. What could have caused my PC to do this in the first place? I've never seen this message when I turned my computer on before and I'm worried that maybe my hard drive could be failing.

Solution
G

The same thing happend to me, only it was not left switch off for a week. :hello:
I'd say its because you hardward cannot not find your hard disk. Because, if you...

janachen

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
Error Message:
Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device.
Translation:
A reader reports an error message each time he boots his PC. The message prevents him from accessing his OS (operating system), which is Windows Me.
Solution:
This error message may reveal a significant problem with the system, but before trying an extreme solution, such as reformatting the hard drive or replacing the motherboard, the reader should try a few practical remedies first. Assuming that his hardware is installed correctly, he should start the troubleshooting process by ensuring that the boot sequence is configured correctly in the BIOS (Basic Input/Output System; instructions that govern the startup routine). To do so, he must access the BIOS setup utility before the PC tries to load Windows. The users manual will identify a hotkey usually F1, F2, or ESCthat provides access to the BIOS. As soon as the reader turns the PC on, he should start pressing this hotkey repeatedly. If he’s successful, the BIOS setup utility will appear on-screen.

The reader should peruse the contents of this utility for any reference to “boot sequence” or “boot order.” This setting dictates where and in what order the BIOS looks for the files that will load the OS. The reader should configure the boot sequence so that the BIOS looks at the floppy diskette drive first (if one is available) and then looks at the hard drive. He should save the new settings and exit the BIOS. Hopefully, that will resolve the issue.

If that doesn’t fix the problem, he should contact the PC manufacturer to obtain a BIOS update. The old BIOS may be corrupted or in conflict with a newer system component. The PC manufacturer will provide detailed instructions for installing the new BIOS. The reader should follow these instructions to the letter. When the installation is complete, he can reboot his system.

If the error message persists, the reader may need to take drastic action. He should try checking (and perhaps replacing) the hard drive cables first. If that doesn’t solve the problem, he may need to reformat the hard drive and reinstall Windows. He also may need to consider replacing the hard drive or even the motherboard.

I just hope this will help you...Good day

G

The same thing happend to me, only it was not left switch off for a week. :hello:
I'd say its because you hardward cannot not find your hard disk. Because, if you were to disconect your hard drive, your PC will display the text you forementioned. Because the hard drive was not found, it will look for other devices in it's boot sequence to boot from-( for example your floppy if you have one, and then your CD-ROM/DVD drives). :eek: Look inside and check for loose SATA or Molex connections, and shorting out (wires/connectors touching the PC housing where it should'nt)

This could also be caused by an issue with your PSU (power supply unit) as so many start up/boot errors are. You could save yourself a lot of money by buying a cheep one as a spaire, instead of testing the PSU thats in there, simply replace it with a cheep one(buy online from around £12)and if it works OK then it was you PSU. alternativly, try installing the suspected PSU into a second PC. If a PC bleeps when it starts, how many bleeps in succesion is usualy a clue to what is wrong with it.

The process of illimination is often a long one but the things you learn will save you time and money in future. Experiencing it for for self is a better way to learn.
If you go to a "PC expert: ie PC world" it may be cheeper to to buy a new PC than pay him :non:

Solution