Hd2600xt fan replacement help

two

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
Hi,

Its been about 2 years since I bought the Radeon HD 2600 XT 512MB card. Recently the fan has been acting up. I took it off the card and cleaned out the dust, but the whir/vibrating noise persisted. Guess its time to replace the card? I am not sure where to get started in terms of looking for compatible hardware, so I was hoping that I could get some answers here.

Thanks

Solution
I wouldn't invest too much in replacing the fan on your current card because you could get a better card on the cheap. Something like the ATI 4670 would offer better performances for cheap.

two

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
zipzoomflyhigl: you're crazy!

ATI doesn't suggest any fans for graphics cards. Its no longer under warranty, so they say just get a new one. But thats very unnecessary since this thing is processing my graphics perfectly fine.

The problem just escalated. For some reason the fan stopped running when returning from sleep mode. The temp went up, then the computer shut off. I opened up the case to look at the fan on the next startup and it looked like the fan was stuck off track trying to spin, but getting stuck on something. I gave it a little push and it started running again, noisily.

fatcat

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2005
I wouldn't invest too much in replacing the fan on your current card because you could get a better card on the cheap. Something like the ATI 4670 would offer better performances for cheap.

Solution