Trim support

miwanuma

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
Hello Toms need your help on setting up and maintaining Trim for my 64gb ssd. Im new to this you help would be appreciated, and be gentle as its alllll new. My os is on the ssd and I have a data 750gb hard drive

Windows 7 ultimate
Kingston ssdnow v series 64gb

miwanuma

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010

So if I set up the os on the ssd from the beginning I have nothing to worry about? How can I see if it is monitoring?

randomizer

Champion
A correction for that linked post on sevenforums.com: Windows will report that TRIM is enabled even if the SSD doesn't support it. If it sees a HDD with a rotational speed of 0 (ie. an SSD), TRIM gets enabled. I don't know how old that drive is or what firmware version it is running, so I'd Google around and ensure that it does in fact support TRIM.

miwanuma

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010

Sorry but, I am new to this where can I find out software ver. for my Kingston v-series

randomizer

Champion
Download CrystalDiskInfo (not CrystalDiskMark). It will tell you plenty of information about your SSD, including the firmware version. You'll need to look up the manufacturer's website (and perhaps forums) to find out what version first enabled TRIM.

Thank You randomizer. That is correct. Even though my SSD's are in a RAID 0, TRIM still comes back as "enabled" even though it's unsupported for any RAID array.

Thanks for the advise on CrystalDiskInfo, too.

miwanuma

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010

If I am reading correctly this supports trim correct??

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
CrystalDiskInfo 3.7.0 (C) 2008-2010 hiyohiyo
Crystal Dew World : http://crystalmark.info/

-- Disk List ---------------------------------------------------------------
(1) KINGSTON SNV425S264GB : 64.0 GB [0-0-0, pd1]
(2) Hitachi HDS721075CLA332 : 750.1 GB [1-1-0, pd1]

(1) KINGSTON SNV425S264GB
Model : KINGSTON SNV425S264GB
Firmware : C091126a
Serial Number : 07MA10007924
Disk Size : 64.0 GB (8.4/64.0/64.0)
Buffer Size : Unknown
Queue Depth : 1
# of Sectors : 125045424
Rotation Rate : ---- (SSD)
Interface : Serial ATA
Major Version : ATA8-ACS
Minor Version : ----
Transfer Mode : SATA/300
Power On Hours : 249 hours
Power On Count : 359 count
Temparature : 38 C (100 F)
Health Status : Good
Features : S.M.A.R.T., APM, 48bit LBA, TRIM
APM Level : 0000h [OFF]
AAM Level : ----

randomizer

Champion
It appears that it does based on the information I've seen online. The "Features" section there simply checks if the firmware has the TRIM flag set to true, which means that the firmware reports that it supports TRIM, but doesn't necessarily mean it does. Isn't ambiguity great? :D

miwanuma

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010

Used crystal disk info to check the status of a couple of ssd i have. 1 ssd comes up unknown. How do i wipe this disk and start it over. I have a 120gb ssd that has 112gb avail, and a 64 with 59gb avail. (both come up unknown as my other 2 show good. I saw something called hdderase and tried to put the boot disk together, but i just cant figure it out for the life of me. suggestions

randomizer

Champion
I have not seen this posted anywhere else but I can't think of any reason why it would not work. That said, I'm pulling this out of the air nonetheless. Connect the drive to another PC running Windows and quick format it just as you would any other drive. The download and run this program: http://www.mediafire.com/file/54zcb976doxnn5l/FreeSpaceCleaner_FF.zip

Ensure that the correct SSD is selected in the drop-down, check the box that says "with FF" (<--- don't forget this step) and then run the cleaner. The progress bar "finishes" multiple times for some reason. This program will write a file to the drive of expanding size until the entire capacity is filled before deleting it again. The "with FF" option ensures that the program writes logical 1's to the drive instead of 0's, which is effectively the same as erasing used blocks (since 1 represents the reset state of a cell), while 0's is what a standard full format or a run with HDDErase would use, which causes excess writes to the drive and requires that all blocks then be reset.

miwanuma

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010

Hi thanks for the info I ran the program and I still have that 5gb gap on one ssd. Thanks for your help and it still says unknown on crystaldisk. Again Thank you VERY much for your suggestion.

randomizer

Champion
I must be blind and didn't read your problem correctly. Try deleting all partitions and re-creating them (you can do this in the Windows installer if you want, just make sure you use Vista or Win 7 to do it otherwise there's more work involved). At least your drives will be restored to full performance after doing all that :D

miwanuma

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010

I ran windows seven disk, as if I was going to install windows as I run through setup it sees my os drive (a new 128gb ssd) and the 64gb ssd.

I choose the 64gb drive and it only sees 59.5gb of the 64gb drive. Choose format and it formats the 59.5 section. no issues there. I'm wondering what happened to 5gb of space.

Here is a snip of the disk properties. (This is a 64gb drive)

http://img718.imageshack.us/content_round.php?page=done&l=img718/9763/capturessd.png&via=mupload

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/9763/capturessd.png

This is the crystal disk report

http://a.imageshack.us/img839/6094/capturessdcrystal.png

miwanuma

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010

Sorry for this stupied question but how do I delete partition?? (I see 1 59gb volume)

randomizer

Champion
You should see an option to delete it near the bottom. It might be hidden under the "advanced" options, which can be enabled by clicking the option on the right hand side at the bottom (as shown below):

win7-select-partition.jpg

TRENDING THREADS