What is your favourite ATI Video Card Brand?

What is your favourite ATI Video Card Brand?

• XFX

Votes: 88 22.9%
  • Sapphire

Votes: 124 32.2%
  • HIS

Votes: 48 12.5%
  • ASUS

Votes: 39 10.1%
  • Gigabyte

Votes: 19 4.9%
  • MSI

Votes: 24 6.2%
  • Powercolor

Votes: 22 5.7%
  • Palit

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Diamond

Votes: 12 3.1%
  • Gainward/Gecube/Force3D/Connect3D/Club3d/Apollo/others

Votes: 7 1.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Techno-boy

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
With curiousity, I just wanna know what is people's favourite ATI Video Card Brand and why. What is your experience with these brand(s) and their warranty?

Please see the poll and vote. The maximum possible answers/votes for this poll is 2. Thankyou. :bounce:

PS:

Sorry, I forgot Visiontek on the Poll, so if you want to choose Visiontek then please choose "others". I cannot even re-edit the poll/edit the message except for quick edit.

Techno-boy

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
Just to share with you people, you know, I've came across some people who just don't buy a particular brand because of their personal belief about that brand or because of what they heard from other people. I do admit that one time, I was like them but after researching, I began to have a clearer image. Sometimes what others say is right and sometimes they are wrong and sometimes it is not always like what they said. However, I would still understand if somebody does not buy that particular brand because they had bad experience with that brand's customer service or because the quality was bad or their video card did not work properly or that they are not satisfied with the warranty but there are also those who just don't wanted to try the brand and did not do any research.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyway, these are some examples that I heard from some witnesses/customers about these brands:

I heard somebody saying MSI is not a good brand for video card because it is a motherboard-maker so MSI is good in making motherboard more than making a video card. However, there were 2 reviews/comparisons of MSI HD 4850 with Artic Cooler Hybrid Frozr which had changed my mind about MSI. These 2 comparisons are "MSI R4850 VS ASUS EAH4850 Matrix" and "MSI R4850 VS Sapphire HD 4850" which had totally change the way I used to think about MSI because it proved that MSI HD 4850 is better than Sapphire and Asus's matrix, maybe because MSI uses the Artic Cooler Hybrid Frozr. The reviews proved MSI HD 4850 is 20 C cooler than Sapphire HD 4850 and 40 C cooler than ASUS's EAH4850 Matrix and MSI can also overclock more than ASUS while maintaining good price. It shows that sometimes, even brands like MSI can win against more popular brands like Sapphire and ASUS. Anyway, I don't know how legitimate these reviews/comparisons are. :ouch:

I also heard some people said that Powercolor is a "Brand of Poor Man's Choice" so they are not going to buy this brand because one time, Powercolor tend to cut off some components of HD 3000 series to make it cheaper and using cheaper component like electrolytic capacitors instead of using the Japan-made all solid capacitors. Despite what some people said, today, i've also seen some Powercolor models with good components and sometimes they are not really cheap. It might be true one time that Powercolor tends to be cheaper and its quality was not good and this depends on which model you buy. :ouch:

Despite Sapphire being one of the top brand of ATI, some people said that its customer service was bad and they are not going back to buy any Sapphire's video card. Kinda strange, because despite that, many people are still buying Sapphire than many other brands. :ouch:

I also heard that many said that Gecube as being the lowest brand/rank of ATI and having a bad reputation of lousy customer service but I also saw many people who bought Gecube and did not have any issue. One time, I was interested with Gecube HD 3870 X2 with Twin X-Turbo Fans and I like it because it is quite a good idea to use twin fans than only 1 fan but some of its bad reviews of Gecube X1600 Pro about its customer service had scared me a bit. :ouch:

And, I also heard about Diamond multimedia brand as being one of the cheapest and worse brand of ATI because some people cannot even install the video card and they have constant crashings so they put Diamond on their "Do not buy" or "Avoid" List. Of course, there are also many people out there with Diamond video cards and they have no problem. :ouch:

And Palit as being also one of the brand that sells cheapest video card but its bundle sucks. However, the bundles might not be very important when it comes to like free softwares with useless things like 3dmark ratings. So far as I know, Palit is very popular in Asia but not in North American continent. :ouch:

Some people also avoid a brand with quite good reputation like HIS with its famous cooler like IceQ 4+ simply because HIS offers only 1 year warranty. However, I hope that it would not always be like that and maybe it depends on which model we buy since not all models have the same warranty, if I'm correct. :ouch:

Interestingly, one time I also heard somebody said that Gigabyte used to make good video cards but now Gigabyte is not as popular as ASUS when it comes to video card and that Gigabyte no longer makes good video card but after researching for a while, I came across a review/comparison between ASUS EAH4870 and Gigabyte HD 4870 and I found out that Gigabyte is a better buy because its fan is much more silent than Asus's so Gigabyte had won only 1 point over ASUS. However, they both are good except this time Gigabyte had won. :ouch:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyway, I don't know much about these brands, despite what I heard from these people/customers, so that is why I made up this thread and asked. Of course I did not say that these brands are bad because I don't know much about them and I don't have most of these brands too. Sometimes, I don't also want to totally reject what these people said about these brands or about what they had gone through because I don't want to think that they just lie but I also knew that sometimes, totally rejecting a particular brand could also be a wrong thing to do. Maybe it all comes to personal taste/preference or one's experience or one's luck. So far, I only had the old Sapphire Radeon 9600SE and NVIDIA Geforce FX 5200 on 2 pre-built PCs and they were great during their time but sometimes, I do experience Blue Screen of Death or crash. :)

At the end, one of the most important thing regardless to brand or warranty is the reference design of PCB which would make it safe as well as having non-reference cooler (which is normally better than reference cooler) and its price...

Techno-boy

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008

I did it on purpose because I was trying to make it sounded more controversial or making long controversial post without specific short summary or short main idea and making my thread become more interesting but it is based more on what I heard from others and what I've seen than my opinion so this is why it is quite long. It is difficult to make a short summary especially when you share many things. Like I said, this is just to share. However, at the end, you will decide... :)

PS: My point is that you cannot always make a fixed assumption about certain particular brand of video card based on what others say or based on their experience because it does not mean that it would always be like that so doing research, reading reviews for more knowledge before judging the brand could change the way you used to think about that particular brand which could be a good thing. It is very understandable.

djcoolmasterx

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
Thanks, its just that your message can be lost in the volume of text.

Maybe you should write up a proper brand guide and get one of the mods to sticky it as you clearly have alot to say and its always good the see people who are willing to put the effort into a post. :)

Techno-boy

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
Well, I don't know how to make this thread as a sticky thread. It is sad that someday this thread might disappear and not everyone is going to see it. :cry:

Anyway, I don't even guarantee that all the information I posted is true but it is based on what I've heard from others and what I saw on some reviews/comparisons of video card brands so I don't know if this could be a legitimate "sticky brand guide thread". There are also some other brands that I did not even post. :??:

Unfortunately, like many other threads, this thread will be dead or expire soon. It is its destiny... :cry:

boudy

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
I agree with bunny, the powercolor cards are just awful. I have to go with Sapphire on this one, although I would like to see XFX make some more ATI cards. I have had a good experience with XFX cards in the past, but those were nvidia cards. Sapphire gives me good quality, and less hassle than the other companies.

Techno-boy

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008

What kind of problem did you had with Powercolor brand card and which model?

Techno-boy

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008

Sapphire is less hassle than other companies?? What kind of hassle? Driver problem with other companies? Quality? Problem with Cooler of other companies? Or warranty??

So... you also meant that Sapphire is also less hassle than brands like HIS, ASUS, MSI, Palit and Visiontek???

Anyway, why is Powercolor awful for you? Any description for that?

03SVT_COBRA

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

Too much info here....lol

Care to explain what issues you had with them?

radnor

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
So far no Problem with Shappire or Powercolor. So drivers problems on a old X800 GTO but thats it. A rollback or updated version solved it. I got cards working from the 9600 pro and 9600XT working from long ago.

boudy

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009

I have had 2 bad Powercolor cards (1 is a 4850, the other is a 3850), both ran extremely hot and I had problems trying to RMA the 3850 (because after I got it to run, the PCB was warping). I bought the cards because I thought they were a good deal, but they turned out to be more trouble than they were worth. I ended up selling the 4850 on ebay, because I didnt want to have to deal with the problems (the heat and the customer support). Maybe it was just me or I got a bad bunch, but I dont think I will be going back to Powercolor anytime soon (if ever).

I like Sapphire cards (I bought a 4850 for my main machine and a 4670 for my HTPC) because they are good quality, run cool, and aren't as costly as some other brands. I haven't contacted customer support yet though, because I have never needed to :D.

The other card vendors I have not tried, but I will not bad mouth them until I do. Next I think I will try the HIS or MSI.

KrisInFla

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
I must agree with Sapphire. I've had 2 of theirs; an X1600 Pro & my present HD4850. Great support and no complaints so far.

Oh and their forums are populated with very knowledgeable folks who are friendly and willing to discuss anything hardware related. For my part, I enjoy interaction with Brits form time to time. I get fresh insights from their points of view.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
No VisionTek option? BOOO!

I've had cards from at least 7 different manufacturers, and not one has ever truly let me down. So, I can't actually pick a favorite. Though, I suppose I would tend to lean more towards XFX, MSI, Powercolor and VisionTek.

Techno-boy

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008

Thanks for posting that. That's exactly what I was going to say. :D

It's a shame that we can only make 10 answer choices for the poll. I wish that Tomshardware.com could allow us to make more than 10 answers to the poll's question.

Besides, I cannot even re-edit the poll. :ouch:

Status
Not open for further replies.