Tags:
  • Heatsinks
  • Cooling
  • Intel i5
  • Overclocking
  • Product
Last response: in Overclocking
August 21, 2010 9:30:02 PM

I just finished building new desktops for both my wife and I. We're both using i5-760 processors. I bought an aftermarket CPU cooler (CoolerMaster hyper 212 plus) because I planned on overclocking as much as I could. She wasn't really interested in doing much overclocking, and didn't want to spend the money, so hers is using the stock fan.

I finished OCing mine this morning, and was able to run it up to 4 GHz with the temps steady around 65 deg C during a 3-hour Prime95 stress test.

I moved on to hers, and planned to OC it as much as I could with the stock cooler (I figured I could pretty easily go to 3 or maybe 3.2 GHz). I ran a baseline stress test with all the settings at default, and within 3 minutes, her core temps were all around 85 deg C and still slowly rising. I stopped at that point.

So my question is, is that the best I can expect from that processor with the stock fan or did I mess something up when installing it?

A couple of things I thought might be happening:

When I installed it, there were some little pads of what looked like thermal compound already on the stock heatsink. They didn't cover the whole thing though (see picture below), so I filled in the gaps with some leftover Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound. Was that a bad idea?

When overclocking mine, I noticed that by default, all the voltage settings in the BIOS are set to auto, and the voltages it was using as I was stepping up were quite high, so I started setting them all manually. Is it possible that it's using voltages that are too high even without OCing?

Any other ideas/suggestions would be great.

More about : ocing 760 stock cooling

a b K Overclocking
August 22, 2010 1:45:05 AM

You should have cleaned off the stock thermal compound before applying more. It'll cause a rise in temps, but i've never tried to fill in the gaps. You don't really need to OC if your wife isn't going to run benchmarks or anything . I mean after all usually OCing is for benchmarks or if you bottleneck with your VGA card :p  So i'd just leave it at stock. There is no such thing as high voltages without OCing, the thing that will happen though is your temps will raise if you raised your voltages above stock while not performing an OC. Actually any OC or up in voltage will raise temps :p  Plus on intel stock heaatsinks kinda suck so i wouldn't even try to OC on them.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 22, 2010 3:40:06 AM

Voltages are set conservatively at the factory - well above instability but far from frying. I was able to OC my i5 750 to 3.6GHz (from 2.66GHz) while lowering the voltage from the factory voltage.
m
l
Related resources
a c 197 K Overclocking
August 22, 2010 3:59:59 AM

The stock cooler, properly installed, is perfectly adequate for running at stock frequencies.

And the stock thermal compound will soften and spread under pressure and heat from the running CPU.
m
l
August 22, 2010 9:13:30 AM

aznshinobi said:
You don't really need to OC if your wife isn't going to run benchmarks or anything.

Well, I know I don't NEED to overclock it, but I like to for fun. I wasn't expecting much out of the stock fan, but I figured I'd be able to go a little beyond stock speed.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 22, 2010 7:51:23 PM

You mixing a second compound that has a completely different viscosity IS working against you. At stock frequencies you should probably be in the 60's. I have the 750, I played with the stock cooler quite a bit. 3.5ghz at 1.25v =85c in prime 95 if I remember correctly :) 
I would think the stock Intel pad probably never even melted correctly. I think strange things could be going on under there, lol :) 
m
l
August 31, 2010 1:08:48 PM

I can run the i5-750 at 3.35Ghz with the stock cooler but when I really push it with BOINC (the CPU folding program) my PC starts to emit a strange electronic sound and so I went back to 3.15GHz. I thought my voltages were quite high. CPU-z reports 1.28V but I don't know too much about o/c ing anyways.
m
l
!