Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

PSU For (2x) 250 GTS in SLI

Last response: in Components
Share
May 10, 2009 5:11:07 AM

Hey I was wondering what Watt PSU I would need for 2x 250 GTS in SLI? I will probably OC my CPU up to 3.33-3.6 Ghz. Looking for a solid PSU, good bang for the buck, and efficient. Any recommendations?

The rig I'm thinking of building is:

Motherboard:
EVGA 132-BL-E758-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel – $249.99
Processor:
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz – $279.99
Memory:
G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) - $94.99
Hard Drive:
Seagate Barracuda 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s - $79.99
Graphics Card:
2 x EVGA 512-P3-1150-TR GeForce GTS 250 512MB 256-bit GDDR3- $129.99
CPU Cooler:
ZALMAN 9500A 92mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler - $44.99
Case:
LIAN LI PC-A05NB Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer - $79.99
Optical Drive:
LG Black 6X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray/HD DVD-ROM - $109.99

More about : psu 250 gts sli

a c 248 ) Power supply
May 10, 2009 5:58:51 AM

Luckily the 250 GTS isn't as power hungry as some other video cards.

The Antec Truepower New 750 is a brand new high quality model built by Seasonic for Antec. It's earned an 80+ Bronze certification for efficiency. It can handle your system without any problems and then some. Here is a link to a technical review over at jonnyguru.com:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

Another option is the Corsair TX750. It is also an excellent psu designed for high end gaming. Here's a link to the technical review at jonnyguru.com:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

EDIT - OOPS! Links have been fixed.
May 10, 2009 6:32:20 AM

I'd go for the Corsair 750.
Related resources
a c 248 ) Power supply
May 10, 2009 7:16:27 AM

cjl - Normally I would also recommend the Corsair 750. However, the new Antec did extremely well during testing. I have the impression the Antec might be better than the Corsair. It looks like we have some new high quality power supplies to consider. Things change.
a b ) Power supply
May 10, 2009 4:14:40 PM

Corsair TX650 is slightly better quality than TX750 and more than enough power.
May 10, 2009 6:16:10 PM

why are u getting SLI 2 x 250 GTS :S why not just get a single GTX 295 wont that be about the same speed and price and less hassle

iv always though SLI is only worth doing on the best single cards on the market.

easier and better to have one super card than 2 good cards equalling a super card

as u can uprade to 2 x 295gx later
May 10, 2009 7:37:18 PM

mildiner86 said:
why are u getting SLI 2 x 250 GTS :S why not just get a single GTX 295 wont that be about the same speed and price and less hassle

iv always though SLI is only worth doing on the best single cards on the market.

easier and better to have one super card than 2 good cards equalling a super card

as u can uprade to 2 x 295gx later


I don't know what his situation is but if it's anything like me then he might be carrying it over from an old rig and performance vs extra cost it's better to get another GTS than upgrade it, GTS has only recently come out (sort of) which means that it's gonna be fairly new, if it's just been bought it seems a waste of money to upgrade it again so soon after buying it
May 10, 2009 8:42:17 PM

Rain1406 said:
I don't know what his situation is but if it's anything like me then he might be carrying it over from an old rig and performance vs extra cost it's better to get another GTS than upgrade it, GTS has only recently come out (sort of) which means that it's gonna be fairly new, if it's just been bought it seems a waste of money to upgrade it again so soon after buying it


Yeah i agree, was under the impression it was a totally new rig :)  see what he says on the matter :p 
a b ) Power supply
May 10, 2009 10:49:05 PM

mildiner86 said:
why are u getting SLI 2 x 250 GTS :S why not just get a single GTX 295 wont that be about the same speed and price and less hassle

iv always though SLI is only worth doing on the best single cards on the market.

easier and better to have one super card than 2 good cards equalling a super card

as u can uprade to 2 x 295gx later


Where can you get a GTX295 as cheap as 2 GTS250? And upgrading to quad SLI is very poor bang for the buck.

My recommendation for a single card would be GTX275.
May 11, 2009 12:04:12 AM

Corsair 750 TX $119.99(free 3Day UPS shipping)

Antec TP-750 $169.99(10.25 3Day UPS)

Not a hard choice.
January 7, 2010 2:57:49 PM

i was wondering i have very simaliar rig to his the only differince is im running a core 2 quad.My specs are 2x xfx gts 250 core edition, 6gb ram kingston, intel core 2 quad q6700, sea gate buracuda hdd 500gb and asus p5n-t deluxe mb. i am also looking for a psu. could someone tell me if this would be a good choice for my build or should i get a differnt psu http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?category_id...
a c 243 ) Power supply
January 7, 2010 3:43:20 PM

frank_49 said:
i was wondering i have very simaliar rig to his the only differince is im running a core 2 quad.My specs are 2x xfx gts 250 core edition, 6gb ram kingston, intel core 2 quad q6700, sea gate buracuda hdd 500gb and asus p5n-t deluxe mb. i am also looking for a psu. could someone tell me if this would be a good choice for my build or should i get a differnt psu http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?category_id...

You really should start your own thread.
850 watts is a bit overkill for your system, but that CM is a good psu.
!