"All SATA ports run at RAID mode together"

Silex99

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
My new motherboard (ASUS p7p55d evo) is arriving today and I was browsing the pdf manual. I am planning to do RAID 0 for this new build. (this is my first time setting up RAID). In the RAID section I found the following and in my research have never heard this before:

"Due to a chipset limitation, when set any of SATA ports to RAID mode, all SATA ports run at RAID mode together"

The board has:
6 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (Intel P55)
2 x Drive Xpert SATA connectors (navy blue and gray) (JMicron)

I will have 2 HDs in RAID 0 (boot drive), 2 SATA optical drives, 1 SATA card reader, and ESATA front case port.

will these other devices work if all ports are in RAID mode? Does RAID recognize non HD devices I assume the quote above only refers to the 6 Intel ports but the JMicron ports say they are "Drive Xpert function". Am I safe to assume JMicron can be used for any old SATA device? Is there any reason I could not just Create my Raid 0 array on the Jmicron set instead?

ReU_VOoDOo

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
i am also having the same problem, for my movies i got 2 2TB hitachi drives to set them in raid and my os is on a seperate ssd. when i set sta to raid mode i could not start windows

mgrzTX

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
I don't know for sure, but I doubt you would be able to create a RAID 0 array w/ 2 HDDs on the Jmicron ports and your performance would probably suffer even if you could. On the other hand, all of your other devices should work just fine w/ the Motherboard in RAID mode. I would just have fun building the computer, I seriously doubt it will be a problem. I just read around my Mobo manual and it says something similar. The IDE controller should still be able to recognize the DVD Drive etc. w/ out any problems.

@ReU_VOoDOo, I'm pretty sure you're having a different problem. If you had installed windows onto your SSD while your BIOS was set to something other than RAID mode initially then when you switch your BIOS options to RAID, Windows won't work. If you don't have anything important on your SSD the easiest solution would be to reformat if and reinstall windows.