spazticdeath

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
I have an older AGP tower that my now ex was using. She insisted on using a cheapy sound speaker system, and when it started humming loudly after a few months I told her to get rid of the speakers and get new ones.

I went out of town and when I came back the speakers were still there, and the comp was dead. I was furious!!! ARggggghh!

Suffice to say I've since stripped the system down to only the mobo, the memory and cpu and vid card.

The mobo is an Asus P4800-E, I had it for years and it worked flawlessly for me. Never a problem, never a hiccup.

Now it when the power is turned on, the bios will show on the screen, and then just sit there. I've taken the battery for the mobo out for 2 weeks just to be safe, and still same thing. I'm assuming the mobo is worthless and dead.

My question what cheap alternative can i use replace this dead mobo? Something that will run my two gigs of 3200 ddr ram that is in there now, have 8x agp, and at least 2 pci slots, would be nice if it had a sata port in there as well.

Any idea's?

Thanks in advance.

:fou:

The cheap speakers did not cause your computer problems.

I checked newegg. They have one S478 motherboard and it uses PCI-e video.

You might try checking TigerDirect. They might have a replacement. Otherwise, google may be your friend.

Socket 478. Yeah, gonna be rough to find a replacement board. Like JSC said, new egg only has one socket 478 board, and while it uses PCI-E for the video it also has onboard video that should be fine if you aren't gonna use it to play any games. The thing is, it uses DDR2 so you will need to buy some new RAM for it I'm afraid, as your old board used DDR. I think it's time to just get a cheap CPU/mobo/RAM combo :D.

spazticdeath

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2007
No worries now, I found the exact same mobo on ebay.....purchased it for 38, and shiping will be 20...still not a bad deal when compared to the prices I've found on reg websites for this very very scared mobo....thanks for all the friendly advice.